Author Topic: Why do you fly a particular plane in AH?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
Re: Why do you fly a particular plane in AH?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 03:33:47 AM »
Russian squad = Russian rides :)
I was an La7 dweeb, but am now a member of the Golden Yak gentlemans' establishment!
I fly an Il2 when there is insane cap because it soaks up an incredible amount of damage.
If only we had some Russian buffs :lol
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 03:45:05 AM »
I don’t fly any particular plane in the main arenas but all the planes I fly they have something in common. Eventually they all get shoot down  :noid

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 03:48:19 AM »
There is something menacing about the Bf 109 that I've always liked. Apart from that beautiful howl of the supercharger, it just looks mean.

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71gYnaGyb8

0:22 and 1:21 are perfect examples of that demonic noise that seperates it from anything else.

Back in high school I hung around with some guys that were huge on German artillery and the ground war.... I was always interested in aircraft and their interests just put me onto the Luftwaffe and it went from there. Since that I've spent hundreds of dollars on books and spent hours pouring over the internet and the 109 has always grabbed me.

The G-10/K model has always grabbed me as the best looking, the Earla haube, lack of cowl bumps and the taller fin all look beautiful.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 03:58:34 AM »
I must say that my favorite plane is the G14. I fly the A8 as much or more at times but the G14 is in my book one of the most sexy planes out there. Its not easy to fly either, and with me beeing a mouse user it can be a handful if you dont take care of your E. It has limited ammo and that is also appealing because you cant just spray if you want a chanse at more than a couple of kills.

I also find myself only picking out allied planes when flying it unless im helping to clear someones six :) If im in an Allied ride like the 47 or f6 i tend to look for axis rides. Just makes things abit more realistic :) Spixteens and Lalas are my favorite meals.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:03 AM »
Yak9u for low to mid alt fighter sortie
Better range than la7, better performance at alt, good maneuverability, good speed, good climb. Its very resistant and has a great all around view. Of course the guns aren't the best but you get used to it.

Ta152 for high alt fighter sortie.
I'm used to the hub cannon so the aiming is easier for me. The range is awesome, so is a zooming capability. Makes a great bomber hunter.

From CV's I mostly use F6F's. good load out good fuel and its very resistant to ack fire.

Lancasters for bombing. 280mph at alt, hell of a loadout, nothing to add.

IL2 for gv hunting...thought I'm starting to really like the B25 since I sank a cruiser with the guns )

for base to base attack a bf110G2 does the trick :P
now posting as SirNuke

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 04:45:04 AM »
I'm with Hondo on the mosquito. love it for the looks, the flight handling and the stall character (tough to learn but superb when mastered) and i love it for the history.

but most of all i love those lazers in the nose. :t
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 04:49:10 AM »
I fly the p39Q or A20G ALOT.
39Q is a decent fighter, dives like none other..and has a huge cannon. :rock A20G can also fly very well for its size and weight, the nose six fiftys are laser guns and she can take a beating, much as the 39 can aswell.
Something about them, and making a plane do what you want.

I never have gotten the same jollys from a super plane, or anything perked.

....Maby i am just old fashioned & greedy?  :confused:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:51:46 AM by BaDkaRmA158Th »
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 05:02:12 AM »
Because it's different, challenging to do well in and very rewarding. An historical interest in the plane itself and the Yak only squads that flew them with great success like the 812th IAP.

Plus the 37mm is just plain evil..  :devil

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Pawz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 05:47:11 AM »
I LOVE the P38L! I think it "IS" the sexiest plane in the game. I was hooked on p51 because of history during my early years of AH1. I would wing with morpheous alot and I think XJ asked us to wing with him in 38s.
My first flight I was hooked.

I think it is a very challenging plane and once you add a bit of history to it it changed the game for me. It should be down right unlawful to have as much fun in a 38 as I do.
When I die bury me in a P38.

I watch day after day, week after week, tour after tour, the Bishops and Rooks take bases and win maps while the Knights stand there with their thumbs stuck in their butts. It's just pathetic!

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 07:33:06 AM »
Yak9U. Lately I've found it to be instrumental in taking off fast from a base once an NOE mission is detected. Great goon hunter.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »
i've always liked p38's so when i first came in the game, i flew them almost exclusivly to my death rather quickly. felt i was dying too fast to learn anything. tried the pony figuring it was easier. no go for me. moved to the spitfire, and she kept me alive a bit longer to learn. moved into the zeke/hurri's for the same reason. they all kept/keep me alive lng enough to manage to learn some acm, and some gunnery. now, i venture into the likes of the hellkitty, and the lightning again. hopefully, soon, i'll be able to get out of the ""easy""rides alltogether.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 08:18:53 AM »
I try and fly a little of everything... but mainly Jugs and Pony's when I'm trying to get something done, although even then it depends on my mood.  HTC has put too much work into too many aircraft for me to justify flying any one or even a select few too often, and flying them all a little gives you a solid reference when fighting.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 08:53:08 AM »
I fly Spits a lot because I've always been enamored with them ever since I was a kid.  I built models of them and had a really nice balsa/tissue Spit IX until I crashed it one day  :lol  Spits are, IMHO, the most beautiful looking ac ever built.  As someone once said, flying a Spit is like putting on a glove.

I fly F6F's because they are among the best attack platforms in the game and they are great fighters once the ord is gone.  They produced more fighter aces in WWII than any other ac, they can operate from carriers, and how can you not fly a plane called the Hellcat?  Here Kitty kitty kitty...

I fly FW190A-8's because they are among the best buff hunters in the game and far too many fighter jocks underestimate their ability to knife fight.  2x20mm, 2x30mm, 2x7.9 (or is it 13?) mm = best gun package of any single engine fighter plus the armor protection is nearly unequaled (except for maybe the Grumman Ironworks).

Finally, I fly the 109K-4 when I'm not quite sure if I'm going to be running into buffs or fighters.  Nearly as good as the A-8 at buff hunting but with better turn/stall/knife fighting abilities it's a perfect cross between the Spit and the A-8 when I'm not sure what to expect.  Regardless of what's out there, I'm nearly positive the K-4 is going to get me home with at least a couple of kills.

I've always been more interested in the European air war then the Pacific air war and, other than the F6F it shows in my plane choices.  Beyond these I fly everything but these are my staples.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:55:45 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Gryphons

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 09:00:22 AM »
When I first started playing online back in WB I flew spits almost exclusively, that was because I grew up watching BoB and loved the history behind the Hurri's and Spits.  In AH the 109G-2 and C205 are my favourite rides, both planes are so sexy and they just look lethal (tho it'd be nice if the C205 got a little make over  :) ), both planes also hold their own in almost any type of fight.

Seems I have Nilsen's affliction with the lala and spixteen, there's nothing more satisfying then seeing those birds go down  :D
Classic Army G36C, KWA Glock 17, Well M4, UTG M24
71 Squadron RAF
Gryphon5

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »
51 for the historical ride of the RL 352nd.

47 has always been a fave of mine (haven't flown it much lately, tho)

KI-84 - my favorite lil' dogfighter.  If I'm up in a base defense scenario, I'm in this lil' bad boy. 

"You rebel scum"