Author Topic: Why do you fly a particular plane in AH?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline betty

• Gold Member
Re: Why do you fly a particular plane in AH?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 09:51:09 AM »
well my plane of choice is the tiff, i started out flyin the nik and then i met up with kermit, he started pickin on me calling me a "nik dweeb" so i told him to teach me to fly the tiff.

after spending many long hours and many sleepless nights in the DA, playing tag with many other fellow AH'ers, and learning my ACM's i began flying the tiff in december of 2005, its been my ride of choice since then. i like the tiff because i know how to fly it, after learning the tiff it made it easier to fly planes because i tend to fly them the same way i fly my tiff, sometimes i doesn't work very well others it makes me almost dangerous. the tiff is misunderstood and those that fly it just to bnz or to vulch or take down ord dont know the real ability of it. if others would take the time to fly it they would see the tiff has more potential than they realize. most people that fly the tiff they go for the HO. take time to learn it, its a fun plane.
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline bizz

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »
51 for me, to me that bird is just pure sex. I'm also a bit of history geek when it comes to the 8th AF 51 groups, 352nd 4th etc etc. so thats a big influence on what I fly.  I also spend some time in the Jug because of the history thing (4th and the 352nd did time in jugs) but I'm just not very good in it. I love the eight 50s and it dives like a lead weight but I have never found an effective way to fly it other than pure BnZ. My secret love would have to be the spit9, next to the 51 most of my time is spent in that.

Bizz
334th Fighter Squadron "The Eagles"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »
My interests in AH have always just been an extension of my historical interest at that point in time.  A age old love of 40's aviation brought me here, I grew up visiting the AFB where my grandparents worked, my grandpa was a B25/B17/B29 pilot, his brother flew B-25's in North Africa and Italy.  My other grandpa was an armorer in the Navy stationed in the Solomon Islands.  Seems I just had airplanes in the blood. 

Joined up back in Beta Tour 1 where there wasn't much to choose from, started flying the P-51.  Having read Bud Anderson's book so many times I needed to re-glue the spine twice I really wanted to recreate the dogfights he described.  I discovered that I wasn't good enough to mix it up in the 51 like Col. Anderson describes it and I was getting frustrated, having a friendship with Mathman that pre-dated AH he got me interested in the Navy planes and the F6F in particular, I switched a flew that for years, I finally found a plane I could mix it up with.  After buying several books on the carrier battles and the Guadalcanal campaign I started to wonder about what the army was up in that big island of New Guinea just to the west.  Started reading up on the 5th air force and I decided to give the P-38 a try and I really enjoyed it, I've always thought it was just a beautiful bird.  I've also discovered that since the B-25 was added that I really enjoy flying that as well, family connections to it I guess, just finished the unit history of the 345th, love those low level strafer's. :)

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 10:30:41 AM »
109's.  Mainly the F4, G2, K4.  Because I enjoy their flight characteristics over other planes.

I always try to fly the plane that you don't see in the air that often (in the MA that is).  So I avoid the P51, Spits (unless drastic low alt base defense I take the V), LA's.  I don't fly too many perk planes, maybe the 262 or the C-Hog.  Hate the Typhie/Tempest.

I've been trying to mix up the planes a bit as of late.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »
Hurri II

I have a cheap joystick, no rudder pedals or controls - use keyboard when I remember it, Im left handed and the throttle control is at the bottom of the stick opposite my views keys on the keyboard - so i kinda forget to play with the throttle most of the time.
I fly it because it for me has been the most forgiving to my poor equipment needs - It retains E way more than most seem to expect so i can crawl up the BNZ'r rear faster than expected, it has big fat bullets that I lob way ahead of the turner and remove airframe parts with....

I get my fair share of killz and i have a lot of fun just turning a lot - and not cruising for 10 minutes to get to 20k.... 20k in a Hurri is suicide lol

NwBie

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:49 AM »
I fly the Typhoon for three basic reasons.

1) It has a fabulous nose-low deflection view which greatly enhances the deflection at which I can take shots without them being blind (obstructed by the engine cowling). This is incredibly important for me as my gunnery exceeds my flying ability by a factor of 3 to 1.

2) It has four Hizookas which allows me to kill quickly which is so, very ,very , very important in the MA where every second you linger on a single foe is another ganger saddling up on your 6 'o clock.

3) It's fast, especially low where speed really counts, this allows me to maintain the initiative and dictate the terms of my engagements in most situations against most planes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:48:51 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 10:48:50 AM »
Just curious after reading the Spit 14 debate.  Why did you choose a certain bird as your main ride in AH?

I know I'm a 38G snob.  But I fly it because of the history I 'feel' when I fly my cartoon 38G along with wanting to see what I can do in something that's not the latest and greatest.

I'm assuming there are others with the history angle like me that may choose a 109 version or a Mustang, or a Spit for the same reasons.  It gets them a bit closer to the stories they read over the years.

So what make you 'fly' a particular bird?  Is it just to be able to compete?  Is it history?  Is it performance?  Is it the challenge of doing more with less?

Not passing judgement, juse wondering. 

I'd have to say mine is either the P-39D/P-400 (20mm package) or the 109F.  :aok
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »
I don't fly "one" plane..

Unless a special need arises, it the F4U-1A.  Does everything well.  The best platform in the game, but you have to take the time to learn it.

Base defense, but only if there is a horde present, it's the LA7.  Raw power and big guns...

Ground Attack requires a D Hog.  Same as the 1A, but carries more bombs and rockets.

For inbound buffs to an undefended base I am about to defend, the Bf-109K4 gets the nod.  Climbs like a beast and those 30mm's do a job on buff wings..

There are several others I fly when the mood strikes, but you will find me in one of those normally.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »
Been using the KI-84 alot this tour as my main fighter.

Its pretty fast,manuverable,and the guns ain't bad.

You can glue yourself to the 6 of just about anything you encounter.

Lots of fun to fly. ( unless I'm trying to catch a runstang)

I also think the KI is undermodeled.

The Typhoon is my main attack ride.

2-1000lbers, fast down low where the attackees live.

Done dropping ord?  I am now free to do as I please with 4 mighty Hispanos!

And I like using the Niki for base defense, especially against a CV borne attack.

Still waiting for the KI-84IB,

Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 11:13:08 AM »
Spitfires and Hurricanes for fighters because like me there beautiful & British.  :salute

F6f for attack....nice ords, great turner, good guns and looks peachy in a Brit skin.  :salute

B17 in early skin....great history decent load out.   :salute

Lancaster... great history lovely load out and like me beautiful & British.   :salute

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »
Currently I like flying the spit 16 cause I'm new and its pretty easy to maneuver. :aok

The exact reason why this game is going down the tubes.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »
I fly mostly American planes. P51 and F6F are my favorites.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 11:23:14 AM »
The exact reason why this game is going down the tubes.

and how long have you been playing? :D

Plus, spixteens are easier to kill than Spit Vs, or Spit VIIIs...  :rolleyes:

Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 11:24:36 AM »
Spit 16 b/c it pisses ppl off when they get shot down by a spixteen. Also I am learning the Ki-84 from A8Tool and will move to another from there. But mainly the spixteen to piss ppl off.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 11:25:04 AM »
I actually started to fly the 38 when i first played AH, It was the first plane i landed successfully, unfortunitly i got tired of dieing every flight, after going thru bomber and GV phases , Ren got me back to fighters in a P51D, I was also flying Spit IX's for a while. The P38J is an awsum ride I still suc at it, but I'm getting better.

I think the P38's hold a big attraction for me becuase of all the guys in this game that fly them so well, if I can be half as good as most of the SAPP guys I will have accomplished something.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"