Author Topic: Favorite books?  (Read 883 times)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Re: Favorite books?
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »
Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Books are always better.

My first book was "Dick and Jane"  my first step towards perversion.

:huh

Offline OSU

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 09:38:11 PM »
I usually read WW2 books alot and I think I just read my 2nd favorite Auto-biography I've ever read. It's a very short one, but it gets to the chase. It's called "Abandoned at Leyte" written by a FM-2 wildcat pilot Doy Duncan. He got only one kill, but he got shot down during the battle for Leyte Gulf (Tin-Can Sailors battle-also a good book). Only book that has beaten that was Indestuctable, story of Jack Lucas (who died recently :salute :salute).

What are your Favorite reads?

Mine are so far:

Flags of our Fathers, One Square Mile of Hell (that is a really really good book), Indestructable, Abandoned at Leyte, and Citizen Soldiers (I'm still reading this one, but it's been a good read)

I'm sure most of you have read Flags of our Fathers, anybody read One Square Mile of Hell? If not, read it, it's a great book too, most accurate battle description of Tarawa I've ever read.
I've got a ton of Stephen Ambrose books. He was an amazing author. He was working on a book about the war in the Pacific in WWII. He died of cancer while he was writing it.  :salute Never got published. You'll REALLY like Citizen Soldiers, I've read that maybe 4-5 times. I have no idea, I've lost count on all my books.  :lol But my favorite book would would be Red Storm Rising, by Tom Clancy. Amazing book. Some more of my favorites are Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley, D-Day by Stephen Ambrose, Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden, and last but not least, Making A Killing by Captain James Ashcroft.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:46:11 PM by OSU »
If I can't win, I die. But if I win, I live. And I can't win if I don't fight.
--Mikasa Ackerman

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Any of you read Fly Boys by IIRC James Bradley (same from Flags of our Fathers) I never got to finish it.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 07:18:14 AM »
The Forgotten Soldier  by  Guy Sajer
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 07:42:12 AM »
reach for the sky.....douglas baders story.

combat crew........john comer i think
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2008, 08:53:01 AM »
The Golden Warrior;  by Hope Muntz.  this is considered to be one of the top 100 historical novels of all time, which is quite an achievement if one considers that there were approximately half-a-million novels published in the genre during the 20th century.  The story of the events leading to the Battle of Hastings, and a biography of Harold Godwinson, William Bastich's opponent during the epic events of 1066.

The Long Ships:  by Frans Gunnar Bengtsson.  An easy read, despite its 500 plus pages.  Highly amusing in places, and entertaining throughout.  It was the basis for the movie "The Long Ships" starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier.  The only resemblance between the book and the movie is that they both had vikings and a bell.  Trust me....the novel is better.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2008, 09:05:27 AM »
I posted this in Oct. of last year after being repeatedly asked in game what good books are there.

Excellent reads:

Given Up For Dead  - Bill Sloan (this one tops Flags)
Flags of our Fathers  - James Bradley
Flyboys - James Bradley (I used to be in very close contact with him circa Flags and we got to know each other vicariously through my grandpa's and his father's lives.   A class act.)
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors - James D. Hornfischer
A Question of Honor - Lynne Olson and Stanley Cloud
The Longest Winter - Alex Kershaw
Eighth Army - Robin Neillands
Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides
Left to Die - The Tragedy of the USS Juneau - Dan Kurzman
Armageddon - Clive Ponting

An Army at Dawn - Rick Atkinson (2003)
The Battle for Italy - Rick Atkinson (now)  These two are part of the "Liberation Trilogy".    These books are very in depth and give a great "objective" look into the WWII ETO.   

The Coldest Winter - David Halberstam (I haven't read this yet, but I have been told this is getting RAVE REVIEWS)  It is about the The Korean War.

All are exceptional books.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2008, 09:20:34 AM »
The Golden Warrior;  by Hope Muntz.  this is considered to be one of the top 100 historical novels of all time, which is quite an achievement if one considers that there were approximately half-a-million novels published in the genre during the 20th century.  The story of the events leading to the Battle of Hastings, and a biography of Harold Godwinson, William Bastich's opponent during the epic events of 1066.

The Long Ships:  by Frans Gunnar Bengtsson.  An easy read, despite its 500 plus pages.  Highly amusing in places, and entertaining throughout.  It was the basis for the movie "The Long Ships" starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier.  The only resemblance between the book and the movie is that they both had vikings and a bell.  Trust me....the novel is better.

I recently read The Last Legion, which was ALSO far superior to the movie (which itself wasn't BAD, but nothing remarkable, either. However it was infinitely superior to King Arthur). Not exactly historical fiction, but seeing as the author IS a historian specializing in Ancient Rome, these aspects are generally quite solid and the history is VERY nicely integrated with the earliest Arthurian legend.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2008, 09:28:40 AM »
-The Silence of the Lambs
-Hannibal
-Life in the Underbrush
-The Secret Life of Sharks
-About Face
-The Last Citadel

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »
The Killer Angels - Shaara

Team Yankee - Coyle (series of 6 novels)

Misery - King

It Doesn't Take a Hero - Schwartzkopf

Panzer Battles - Mellenthin

White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2008, 01:33:03 PM »
I posted this in Oct. of last year after being repeatedly asked in game what good books are there.

Excellent reads:

Given Up For Dead  - Bill Sloan (this one tops Flags)
Flags of our Fathers  - James Bradley
Flyboys - James Bradley (I used to be in very close contact with him circa Flags and we got to know each other vicariously through my grandpa's and his father's lives.   A class act.)
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors - James D. Hornfischer
A Question of Honor - Lynne Olson and Stanley Cloud
The Longest Winter - Alex Kershaw
Eighth Army - Robin Neillands
Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides
Left to Die - The Tragedy of the USS Juneau - Dan Kurzman
Armageddon - Clive Ponting

An Army at Dawn - Rick Atkinson (2003)
The Battle for Italy - Rick Atkinson (now)  These two are part of the "Liberation Trilogy".    These books are very in depth and give a great "objective" look into the WWII ETO.   

The Coldest Winter - David Halberstam (I haven't read this yet, but I have been told this is getting RAVE REVIEWS)  It is about the The Korean War.

All are exceptional books.   

Retreat? Hell, were just attacking in another direction. is a very good read too.

One square mile of hell is another good one.

Oh and Karaya, do you know of a good book depicting the Battle of Anzio? Me and my dad have been looking for a long time, but most of its either the same stuff or it's very incorrect.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2008, 02:08:42 PM »
 1984: by  George Orwell

Stalingrad: by Anthony Beevor

The Mighty Eighth: by Roger A Freeman

Berlin the downfall: by Anthony Beevor

Fighter Pilot: by Paul Richey
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »
There's a reason I'm a Luftwaffe dweeb.

"6th March, 1944
Last night there were more engines droning overhead. the British attacked Berlin with more than 1,000 aircraft.
At noon we are sent into action against the Americans who are heading for the same objective. Once again I am in command of the Gruppe.
In the first frontal attack I shoot down a Fortress just north of the airfield and leave a second one in flames. I cannot watch it crash, however, because I am fully occupied with several Thunderbolts try to get on my tail.
My Staffel loses Sergeant Veit. The body was found in a cornfield just north of the airfield where he was shot down.
On our second mission I succeed in shooting down yet another Fortress. It also went down during the first frontal attack, aimed at the control cabin. Probably both pilots were killed and the controls put out of action, because the plane crashed without any signs of fire.
During the ensuing dogfight with the Thunderbolts my tail plane was shot full of holes, and my engine and left wing were badly hit also. It is all I can do to limp home to our field. On coming to land I discover my left wheel has been shot away. The right wheel will not retract. I am forced to make a one wheel landing.
Immediately I order a reserve aircraft to be prepared for me to take off on a third mission. It is destroyed during a low level strafing attack. Two of the mechanics are seriously wounded.
4 Staffel places one of its aircraft at my disposal by order of the Commanding officer. Specht and I take off together, with Flight Sergeant Hauptmann and Sergeant Zambelli as our wingman.
When we attempt to attack a formation of Liberators over Lueneberg Heath, we are taken by surprise by approximately forty Thunderbolts. In the ensuing dogfight our two wingmen are both shot down. After a wild chase right down to ground level the Commanding Officer and I finally escape with great difficulty.
After landing I receive word from Diepholz that Flight Sergeant Wenneckers is in hospital there after being shot down and seriously wounded.
In a telephone conversation with Division during the night, the Commanding Officer  requests that the Gruppe be withdrawn from operations temporarily. We cannot continue.
The request is refused. We are to continue flying until the last aircraft and the last pilot. Berlin, the capital city of the Reich, is ablaze from end to end.
It has become very silent in the crew room. Jonny Fest and I it there alone in our two arm chairs far into the night. We do not speak much. The pile of cigarrete butts in the ashtray grows steadily, as we extinguish one cigarette after another.
Jonny keeps staring in a distrait way at the pictures on the wall. To me it seems as if we might expect to see the faces to move and hear the familiar voices of our late comrades break the silence in the room....
Wolny.... we were returning from his funeral in the Chief's car, when a girl suddenly dashed into the road carrying a wreath of pine on here arm. It was his fiancee. She had been ashamed to stand beside us at the grave, because she was afraid that she still could not control the grief which overwhelmed her when told of his death three days before...
Steiger.... looked exactly like his twin brother. I met him at Tuebingen last year, and at first thought he was Gerd. The resemblence was startling: their mother claimed to be the only person who could tell them apart....
Kolbe... they found his body in the wreckage, but it was minus both hands. Then his wife asked for the wedding ring. How could we possibly tell her the truth?...
Kramer... why, oh why did that boy have to lose his head  that time his aircraft went down in the sea?...
Gerhard... his mother writes to me often, and I have to tell her all about her brave son. She hopes that his death for the freedom of our people and the survival of the Reich will not have been in vain...
Fuehrmann.... on the spot where his Messerschmitt carried him down when it plunged into the Moor we erected a tall oak cross. At its base we nailed two five franc peices....
Doelling.... did not return from his second mission. His body was claimed by the sea.
Killian.... his perpetual affairs with women caused me plenty of trouble....
Dolenga... whatever became of his very charming wife? I was best man at their wedding at Jever...
Nowotny... his father in Bruenn wrote to me that two of his brothers had also been killed in action...
Raddatz.... his darling Myra Lydia shed enough tears at the time, but did not take long to find consolation elsewhere. Still she was not the only one who found his charms irresistible....
Arndt... did not return from his first mission....
Reinhard... my good buddy once showed me a photograph of his six brothers and himself, all together, all in uniform, all wearing the Iron Cross First Class...
Zambelli... used to play the accordion. His alert came when he was int he middle of playing a lively dance tune. His accordian was still lying on the table when the rest of us returned from the mission on which he was killed....
Weissgerber....
Hetzel...
Kreuger....
Veit....
Hoefig...
Trockels....
Troendle...
Now only Jonny and I remain...."

To better explain the gravity of the situation even this early in the war, in the third mission he describes his Gruppe, II/JG11, taking off with 4 aircraft. Generally full operational strength of a Gruppe is around 40 aircraft, which means that by March 1944 II/JG11 was operating with 90% of its pilots killed or wounded.

Heinz Knoke's "I Flew for the Fuehrer" is at this point my favorite book in my rapidly expanding library. It's a very interesting insight into the German point of view on the war, as the memoirs start directly before the Blitz of Poland through the BoB until the end of the war. He served in JG52 during the Battle of Britain and Operation Barbarossa, then was transferred to JG1. The majority of his career was as staffelkapitaen of 5 staffel of JG11. He served in combat on Reich Defense duties until October 9th 1944 when he was crippled during relocation by a roadside bomb planted by Czech terrorists. At this point he had 33 kills including 20 heavy bombers.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:26:13 PM by Motherland »