Author Topic: Questions with death  (Read 6804 times)

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
      • Strike Manufacturing Inc.
Re: Questions with death
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2008, 11:49:16 PM »
Theres an easier way to express the number of stars in the universe, there are more stars in the universe then grains of sand on all the beaches of Earth, and it's kinda small minded to think were the only grain of sand that has life.
That really only counts the stars (suns) not the planets that are around those stars. :aok

Agreed :aok
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
You can be one but NOT both...

Fully Fledged Practising Atheist Bishop

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2008, 12:04:11 AM »
God ....hmmm....Don't know...al I know is there are 4200 religions, faith groups,tribes,etc etc all have their own story and/or belief with one constant..... there is only one. 

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2008, 01:09:03 AM »
God ....hmmm....Don't know...al I know is there are 4200 religions, faith groups,tribes,etc etc all have their own story and/or belief with one constant..... there is only one. 

constant what? :uhoh

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2008, 01:13:28 AM »
with one constant..... there is only one. 
Since when?
The original human belief system started with thousands of gods- many global polytheistic religions still exist today (Hinduism, for example). The majority of those 4200 are probably tribal religions, which, most likely, are polytheistic.

Polytheism,
then Monotheism,
then Atheism.
The evolution of human thought.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:59:51 AM by Motherland »

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2008, 01:19:35 AM »
Since when?
The original human belief system started with thousands of gods- many global polytheistic religions still exist today (Hinduism, for example). The majority of those 4200 are probably tribal religions, which, most likely, are polytheistic.

Polytheism, then
then Monotheism,
then Atheism.
The evolution of human thought.
Agreed :aok even our own North and South American native peoples believed in more than one God.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2008, 02:14:38 AM »
yes this is true, however different regions,i.e groups,tribes...etc still held one higher than the others, therefore making that 'one'. Others, rulers not sure who as I wasn't there chucked in another and another to suit their purposes. But ultimately for the Greeks was it not Woden who was the King of gods thus making him 'the' god.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 02:25:02 AM by SPKmes »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »
mountain man and mother..  if god is not where we get the morality to not kill even if we can get away with it.. then where?

If is is simply an indoctrinization that is created by man then you really do have problems. 

Your happy/unhappy thing makes no sense at all unless you have some morality not of mans making.

lazs

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2008, 08:44:17 AM »
If the only reason they think that is immoral is because a 'god' tells them it is then they have some problems.

I think you might be missing the point a bit. Your response "if that's the only reason they think its immoral" implies you're referring back to a bigger, more obvous sense of morality. The whole question here is WHERE does that sense come from? And why does it refer to the biigger picture of "right" and "wrong" instead of the more obvious "works" and "doesn't work," or something like that?

In a way, your comment is evidence of what I was talking about a while ago...that we have in us a sense of the moral that transcends day to day experience, and provides some clues to the bigger picture.

And for Xathur, mntman, SD, and others - RL has kept me from the boards lately (obviously I'm not sitting there clicking refresh continuously!). You guys have made seom really good comments. and I jsut don't have the time to respond well right now. Will try to give the time those ideas deserve soon...
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »
As for God I just don't see it, I guess I'm just too scientific when it comes to those things, like if God created the Earth, then why was the Earth around for a couple billion years before man was on it, or why dinosaurs were here for millions of years before us, and finally how do you explain the remains of lower forms of human life that have been found that show evolution. 
It's a parable.
A brain.
yes this is true, however different regions,i.e groups,tribes...etc still held one higher than the others, therefore making that 'one'. Others, rulers not sure who as I wasn't there chucked in another and another to suit their purposes. But ultimately for the Greeks was it not Woden who was the King of gods thus making him 'the' god.
IIRC they held "gods" much differently from today's "religious" people.  It was more like the Japanese today, who consider even inanimate objects to have spirits.  E.G you can see this in how they treat robots as conscientiously as humans.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:49:32 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »
mountain man and mother..  if god is not where we get the morality to not kill even if we can get away with it.. then where?

If is is simply an indoctrinization that is created by man then you really do have problems. 

Your happy/unhappy thing makes no sense at all unless you have some morality not of mans making.

lazs

From the moment you are born you are taught right from wrong by your environment. Do this don't do that. You're supposed to be kind to others, take into account how you'd feel in the situation you're putting someone else in. When you murder someone you're ending a human life. You're ending the existence of another living, breathing, free-thinking human being. It's not hard to see how this is wrong.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2008, 02:09:07 PM »
human vanity stokes the campfires for the religious groups... their elitist attitudes towards others pretty much exposes them for what they really are tho.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
motherland.. you are proving my point not yours.. it is not simply the forced learning that restrains us.. it is what we are born with as human beings.   If killing another human being is bad simply because we have been taught it is so then we have no morality at all.

What felt good or what advanced our cause would always over run whatever teaching we were forced to listen to.    If this were not true then every single kid would stay a weenie womanly liberal after all the 12 or 20 years of having it pounded into him in the school system.

morality comes from god just as we do.

lazs

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »
I have to agree with lazs, morality is something thats hard wired into our brains, not just learned.  We might think about doing things that are bad like murder, but a part of our brain kicks in and stops us from following through with it, although I don't agree it came from God.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »
motherland.. you are proving my point not yours.. it is not simply the forced learning that restrains us.. it is what we are born with as human beings.   If killing another human being is bad simply because we have been taught it is so then we have no morality at all.

What felt good or what advanced our cause would always over run whatever teaching we were forced to listen to.    If this were not true then every single kid would stay a weenie womanly liberal after all the 12 or 20 years of having it pounded into him in the school system.

morality comes from god just as we do.

lazs

well Lazs we certainly don't agree on everything (well mostly nothing) :)
but i have to admit seeing you type this out, makes me happy.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
If you don't think morality that is taught is not real morality than whatever... but keep in mind, all people have different opinions of what is moral, which points to the fact that morality is learned.
We don't learn things only from figures of authority... our peers have large influences on our lives and the molding of our consciousness.