Author Topic: WE'RE GETTING THE T34/85!!!  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: WE'RE GETTING THE T34/85!!!
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2008, 08:35:30 PM »
Ah, my favorite WWII tank.  Nice.

I know it isn't the best, but I like how it looks.

A note on the turret.  In the T-34/76 the floor of the turret did not rotate with the turret forcing the crew to shuffle around as the turret rotated.  In addition, other than a small number of ready rounds the shells had to be gotten from under the floor grating and the spent shells had to be replaced under the grating.  All of this conspired to significantly limit the rate of fire in the T-34/76 after the ready rounds were used.

In contrast, the T-34/85 addressed these issues.  The floor of the turret now rotated with the turret, round storage was more convenient and a an additional crewman was added as a loader bring the T-34/85's rate of fire up to contemporary standards.

As to being perked, I don't think it should be.  The gun performance is still inferior to the Panzer IV H's.  I think the T-34/85 will make a good high end free tank.

T-34/85 = better armor and speed, decent gun, no commander's gun.
Panzer IV H = better gun, commander's gun, poorer armor and speed.

The choice is a trade off.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 08:38:19 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Monty405

• Copper Member
      • http://www3.sympatico.ca/carol.haynes/
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2008, 09:49:20 PM »
will it still have the same loading time as the prior t34?

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »
Yay for tanks.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »
will it still have the same loading time as the prior t34?
Read the post right above yours.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2008, 11:22:12 PM »
As to being perked, I don't think it should be.  The gun performance is still inferior to the Panzer IV H's.  I think the T-34/85 will make a good high end free tank.

T-34/85 = better armor and speed, decent gun, no commander's gun.
Panzer IV H = better gun, commander's gun, poorer armor and speed.

The choice is a trade off.
We'll have to see how it works out in the game, but I have a feeling we're going to see metric tons of T34/85s on the ground and very few Panzers if this tank comes out not perked.  The speed and turret traversal speed of the T34 are very good tactical advantages, and with a boost in rate of fire and much more effective gun than the craptastic spitwad shooter it has now, even if it isn't strictly as powerful as the gun on the Panzer, it'll still be as effective as it needs to be.  The T34/85 won't be killing Tigers at longer ranges like the Sherman can, but it'll be killing everything else well enough.  I bet it'll be perked, and if it starts out not being perked, I bet it'll end up perked like the Sherman was.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2008, 11:36:24 PM »
I have no problems with it replacing the Panzer IV H as the most popular free tank.  There is no rule that says that position must go to the Panzer IV H.

Speaking of which, what do you think the odds of seeing the Panzer IV H brought up to AH2 specs?  They already have the hull done as of last version (Ostwind and Wirbelwind).
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2008, 11:45:50 PM »
Given they've got the hull done as you say, I'd rate the odds as excellent.

You're right, there's no law that says the Panzer IV has to be the most common tank used, but it works out very well in practice right now.  The Panzer probably does the bulk of the work, with the Shermans and Tigers being used more on "special occasions", though I do get irked by the guys who keep upping Sherman after Sherman after Sherman at these slugfests, and thinking how hot they are that they killed a bunch of Panzers.  The balance works well enough that I'd regret seeing the Panzer all but replaced by the T34/85.

It really all depends on how effective the new gun turns out to be.  If it lays waste to Panzers and Shermans (and other T34s) with one-shot kills out to 1600 yards being the norm rather than the exception, then the extra speed and turret traversal speed and such that it has will probably push it over the limit of reasonability for being non-perked.  Not having a machine gun on the roof is not much of a disadvantage...

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2008, 12:22:56 AM »
The 85mm was comparable to the 88mm in most ways, able to kill Tigers (including King Tigers) and Panthers with relative impunity.
That sounds perk worthy, Karnak.

guys who keep upping Sherman after Sherman after Sherman at these slugfests, and thinking how hot they are that they killed a bunch of Panzers. 
You're psychic?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2008, 12:50:34 AM »
That sounds perk worthy, Karnak.
No data I have ever seen says it had penetration anywhere near that.  It should be markedly inferior to the Panzer IV H's gun.

That poster also claimed the American 76mm Shermans had penetration like the British 17lber, and again, I have never seen numbers that come close to supporting that.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2008, 02:04:41 AM »
Thats makes two posts ive made that have come to fruition...
Just goes to show, I am the friggin bomb lol.
Now if the a36 makes it in itll be the trifecta...
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2008, 02:08:02 AM »
Last update we got a plane update, fighter and two gv's  :rock

Maby this update we will get the remade f6f a new plane and perhaps* two new gv's  :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 02:13:40 AM by BaDkaRmA158Th »
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2008, 02:09:18 AM »
Panzer IVH with 75mm L/48 with Pzgr. 39 (APBC) should be @ 128mm at 500 metes vs the T-34/85s 85mm L/53 Br-365 (APBC) shell @ 110mm at 500 meters. So, ya, the Panzer IVHs AP round is about 10 percent better, both tanks are capable of knocking the other out at 1000 meters frontally.

...The Russian 85mm gun was nowhere near what a Tiger Is 88 L/56 could perform at, which was @ 180mm at 500 yards with APBC ammo. It was a higher velocity gun, with a better shell, and could kill a T-34/85 out past 2000 meters.

The T-34/85 is on par with the Panzer IVH and the 76mm armed Shermans, but in no way is a direct match to something like a Tiger I. It wasn't untill the JS-2 series that the Russians possessed a heavy tank of that class.

As for being a perk tank? I would say no, there is nothing in its performance that would warrant it being perked, but thats HTCs call.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2008, 04:30:49 AM »
How it actually works out in the game may well not be 100% predicted based on its real-world stats.  Just like it's hard to imagine A6M2s shooting down Spit 16s in the real WWII, we use the stuff in the game based on what works, and what's doable, in the game.  Based on how good the T34 is in the game other than it's super-crappy gun I'm willing to predict that with the new 85mm gun this tank is going to own the Panzer IVH, not just be comparable to it.  That's in the game, not necessarily on paper.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »
Thats makes two posts ive made that have come to fruition...
Just goes to show, I am the friggin bomb lol.
Now if the a36 makes it in itll be the trifecta...
yea because nobody ever asked before.  :rolleyes: You're something alright but the "bomb" isn't it. :aok
See Rule #4

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »
How it actually works out in the game may well not be 100% predicted based on its real-world stats.  Just like it's hard to imagine A6M2s shooting down Spit 16s in the real WWII, we use the stuff in the game based on what works, and what's doable, in the game.  Based on how good the T34 is in the game other than it's super-crappy gun I'm willing to predict that with the new 85mm gun this tank is going to own the Panzer IVH, not just be comparable to it.  That's in the game, not necessarily on paper.

Of course it is. Point, click, boom. Lots of skill there.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart