Author Topic: I hate stick stirrers  (Read 1311 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: I hate stick stirrers
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »
Ironic, because the Dora9 is quite possibly the worst plane to HO in imaginable. That radiator goes out if you look at it.

190s lack of turn capacity is a huge handicap, I won't lie. But yeah, it is possible to do SOMETHING in them if the opponent is willing to fight you at ~300mph IAS or beyond, where the 190 maneuvers as well or better than most.

Running-I'll run if I HAVE to. Its not having to run that is the goal though.

Help me please.  You are saying it cant fight, cant HO, can maybe do something at very high speeds, so, really, what is the intent of flying it?  Vulch and run? Pick and run?  :huh
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 06:28:50 AM »
I tried that in a Lancaster once after a nasty mission & watched the *****""' wings come off. :noid  :furious
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »
Maybe if people complain loud enough, HTC can model it so that stick stirring gives a pilot wound (G Force damage to the body).  I wouldn't care either way.

It's the negative G's that need to addressed.  Right now, you can go full redout and fully recover in a second.  That ranks near the top of my list for "unrealistic."  There are some people who make the neg-g turn their first choice for defensive acm, e.g. roll to the right, push forward on the stick to execute a left hand turn, don't mind the redout.  Against some pilots I've learned that if they roll right to counter my attack, I roll left and nail them as they redout.

Ironic, because the Dora9 is quite possibly the worst plane to HO in imaginable. That radiator goes out if you look at it.
Same goes for the P-51 but I see P-51s try to HO all of the time when they fail to set up a proper guns pass. :rolleyes:

As for the 190D-9, it's supposed to be flown with a wingman.  WWII aircraft were not designed with 1vs1 in mind.  That's why they became faster, heavier, more armored, with better firepower, better roll-rate, etc.  Trying to fly aircraft with these attributes in a place where only 1vs1 gets respect will win little popularity if you don't give others a chance to shoot you, i.e. play their game, for the sake of being a good sport.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »
It's the negative G's that need to addressed.  Right now, you can go full redout and fully recover in a second.

I would agree that the current very mild effect of Neg Gs should be toughened up. Maybe after the first second or so you see "stars" for 5 seconds after you recover. Then each time following it gets progressively-exponentially worse.

But it is not an invalid tactic per se.

J.F."Stocky" Edwards - DAF
I look and I see this big red nose and he’s not very far away and he’s just slightly high like that [Stocky again illustrates the relative aircraft positions with his hands]. He probably went up higher. And I saw his nose drop and he wasn’t more than a hundred yards out again. And I felt all this happen and I saw his nose coming down, and I thought beautiful... intercept, so I just jammed the stick forward. When I did that all the dust and sand in the airplane went flying up in my face. I put it right forward and I’m going down more or less spiraling almost out of control because when you push it that hard at that speed you lose control of your aircraft.

Lt. Douglass Golding
I was flying Red 2 down sun when the call "Duck!" came over the R/T. I immediately followed my No 1 round in a sharp left-hand turn, and looking back, I saw an aircraft coming out of the sun dead astern steeply onto my tail. I put the stick left and forward with left rudder which seemed to nonplus the attacking pilot. He banked steeply, trying to get inside me...

Robert Johnson 56th FG
He’s too close. I shove the stick forward down to the right, swerving the Thunderbolt beneath the Focke-Wulf.

Joe Rosbert - AVG
Looking back I saw two of his mates trying to train their sights on me. I pushed the stick forward so hard I almost catapulted through the canopy. As I hurtled downward, I crouched down expecting at any moment the thud of bullets on the armor plate behind.

All the best.