Author Topic: F6F Recall  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: F6F Recall
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »
I am loving the new F6F.  If you take the 6 view and bars around the cockpit out of the equation (which are historically accurate) the F6F is even better then it was.  It is smoother and maneuvers a lot better.

I will adapt to this new version.

My point is that the current rear view is not historically accurate.

Here's two images to better illustrate my point.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »
hmmmmm, I see your point.  Thank you =WW=!

Did we have the second blind area before?
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2008, 07:35:40 PM »
hmmmmm, I see your point.  Thank you =WW=!

Did we have the second blind area before?

Yes. Many types had blind areas directly behind, with the F4F series being one of the worst. However, these fighters had mirrors to cover the blind area.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2008, 08:53:05 PM »
 Mirrors-we don't want to go there. I have Il2. The complexity of mirrors vs. how useful they are to you on a computer screen is not worth it. A liberally adjustable rear view is a much better compromise solution. As are liberally adjustable view in all directions and perhaps even thinner frames in certain planes, in compensation for the fact that most of us are looking around with keys and joystick buttons and don't have the scanning ease or the 6 degrees of freedom in head movement you have in R/L.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2008, 10:01:05 PM »
I don't recall anyone ever asking to fix anything about the F6F beyond its performance curve (speed over altitude). As far as that goes, it wasn't corrected in this update. We still have an F6F-5 that is slower than Navy test data shows for the F6F-3.

Let's stick to true facts instead of those you invent in your head.

Fact: The F6F modeling offers very limited head position adjustment, about 1/2 that of the F4U.
Fact: A real F6F had a 20 degree (inclusive) blind area behind. The current modeling is around 45 degrees (again, inclusive).
Fact: Real F6Fs had a mirror installed to eliminate the 20 degree blind area.
Fact: Mirrors are not modeled in Aces High.

Solution: Provide enough head movement range to get close enough to the canopy glass to see around the armor plate and pull back far enough to see all instruments (temp gauge).

Rear of cockpit on actual F6F-5:
(Image removed from quote.)

Rear of cockpit, current F6F modeling:

My regards,

Widewing

Where does the 20 degrees come from? Also interesting that you compare an open cockpit with a closed one, and a photo taken from the front floor vs a piccie from a higher perspective . If you follow the lines in your diagram I'm at a loss to see how that 20 degrees works without the pilot poking his head out or having his head mounted on the engine block?

I'm no expert on the F6F, just saying if I look at your 'facts' they don't make sense in this regard.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »
I am  :confused:  How can everything always be historically accurate before a change and after a change? I have never seen so match accuracy in my life.   :rofl   
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2008, 11:27:17 PM »
Where does the 20 degrees come from? Also interesting that you compare an open cockpit with a closed one, and a photo taken from the front floor vs a piccie from a higher perspective . If you follow the lines in your diagram I'm at a loss to see how that 20 degrees works without the pilot poking his head out or having his head mounted on the engine block?

I'm no expert on the F6F, just saying if I look at your 'facts' they don't make sense in this regard.

I got the 20 degrees from Grumman's General Specification for the XF6F-3.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2008, 11:45:28 PM »
I finally got to fly my beloved F6F tonight.  I LOVE the new cockpit (except for the rear view).  It was always bad but its REALLY bad now.  I hope it gets fixed.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »
I got the 20 degrees from Grumman's General Specification for the XF6F-3.

My regards,

Widewing

Manufacturer specification? Looks a little optimistic IMHO. And those extra windows behind the pilot in the XF6F-3 seemed to be solid metal panels in the product F6F-5. So are you comparing apples with oranges perhaps?

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 12:02:51 AM »

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »
Manufacturer specification? Looks a little optimistic IMHO. And those extra windows behind the pilot in the XF6F-3 seemed to be solid metal panels in the product F6F-5. So are you comparing apples with oranges perhaps?

The quarter windows were eliminated after 1960 F6F-5s were built. So, about 1/4 of the production F6F-5s had the windows. They were eliminated because the pilot's view was unchanged with them gone. The best rear view was accomplished by resting ones head on the canopy glass and looking back along the tapering fuselage.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2008, 12:50:36 AM »
Here's a screen-shot to highlight the issue.

I was in the cockpit and used mouse lock to look at (approximately) my 1 O'clock position then hit F3 to go to external mode. From this position you can still see the gunsight. So following the reciprocal view, looking at my 7 O'clock I should see approximately 1/3 of the elevator which I can't see, regardless of how I manipulate the views currently.

HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2008, 01:21:12 AM »
The quarter windows were eliminated after 1960 F6F-5s were built. So, about 1/4 of the production F6F-5s had the windows. They were eliminated because the pilot's view was unchanged with them gone. The best rear view was accomplished by resting ones head on the canopy glass and looking back along the tapering fuselage.

My regards,

Widewing

So that to me seems to be where the issue lies, that extra windowing. AH kind of models headspace, from the feel I get, so like in real life you cannot plant your eyes on the glass, merely close to it. So the question remainds, what is the rear blind spot of an F6F-5 without the extra windows, start comparing that first.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2008, 03:27:35 AM »
I didnt fly the F6F much before but it looks an awful lot like the pilots view cant be adjusted as much as other airplanes. Im hoping it was an oversite rather then a change forthcoming for all planes.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2008, 05:49:37 AM »
Just rid of the stupid radar, add radar vectoring every minute, give non-liberal views.

Lower shooting distance and liberal angle shooting and we are closer to a sim.

Effective shooting distances against enemy fighters RL where normally 200 yards or less, and 400 or less for 4engine bombers.
Personally my kill range is normally 400-600 as it stands today.

RL - 70% of all shot down planes did not see the enemy

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera