Author Topic: F6F Recall  (Read 4990 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: F6F Recall
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2008, 01:12:14 PM »
I agree with this. I'm just saying that you shouldn't be able to turn your head all the way back and see directly behind you.

Nope, you shouldn't but what would happen if they took that away from you to be more realistic... as so many in this post have used as a reason to justify the art work. Either keep it real, which it isn't or let us continue to use the views we have without complaining and enjoy the game.  

Not all planes had rear view mirrors which might justify some of our rear views in some planes. For you realistic junkies, you might want to ask that those views be taken away from the one that didn't and see how far you get.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2008, 01:20:18 PM »
Rear view mirrors were worthless.  Because of the vibrations and fov you wouldn't see a bandit on your 6 until it was far too late.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2008, 01:30:17 PM »
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2008, 01:31:08 PM »
Then why were they so common?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »
Were they?  There's a lot of things that work far better in theory than in practice.  Don't make me quote Yogi Berra.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2008, 01:34:15 PM »
Rear view mirrors were worthless.  Because of the vibrations and fov you wouldn't see a bandit on your 6 until it was far too late.

Your right,  lets make our rear views jitter all over the place next then :D  Oh and i want a vibrating chair option added to my wide screen support which I really like to make the game even more worth playing. Don't forget to add into the next patch an option that allows you only one life to chose since that is how it really was if you got killed. Bail out and rescue times can be adjusted to lets say 2- 3 weeks till your fitted into another plane. Well since it's just a game, how bout an hour.

:rofl  :devil

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2008, 01:44:16 PM »
I wasn't making one of those "realism" arguments.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2008, 02:00:21 PM »
I know, .. I was just adding to the conversation with dry meaningless humor

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »

Your right,  lets make our rear views jitter all over the place next then :D  Oh and i want a vibrating chair option added to my wide screen support which I really like to make the game even more worth playing. Don't forget to add into the next patch an option that allows you only one life to chose since that is how it really was if you got killed. Bail out and rescue times can be adjusted to lets say 2- 3 weeks till your fitted into another plane. Well since it's just a game, how bout an hour.

:rofl  :devil

And a fat woman to sit in your lap to simulate the G-forces.   :confused:
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »
20 degrees from what point? Looks like those lines merge at the gunsight or forward canopy. The head (with the eyes that see) is against the headrest at the back of the cockpit. I think the current view is about right.

Take the diagram WW posted with 20 degrees. Now, keeping the lines touching the fuselage behind the cockpit, move the point where both lines connect back to be about where a human head is situated. That spreads the angle of the blindspot out MUCH wider (closer to what we have).

FOV position dictates the angle of the blind spot. I think the problem isn't the optics themselves. I think it's just a matter of not allowing the head to move enough to narrow that blindspot down a bit

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »
20 degrees from what point? Looks like those lines merge at the gunsight or forward canopy. The head (with the eyes that see) is against the headrest at the back of the cockpit. I think the current view is about right.

Take the diagram WW posted with 20 degrees. Now, keeping the lines touching the fuselage behind the cockpit, move the point where both lines connect back to be about where a human head is situated. That spreads the angle of the blindspot out MUCH wider (closer to what we have).

FOV position dictates the angle of the blind spot. I think the problem isn't the optics themselves. I think it's just a matter of not allowing the head to move enough to narrow that blindspot down a bit

weren't the seats adjustable in the cats? for shorter pilots? what about the possibility of the pilot leaning foward somewhat as he turns his head to look over his shoulder?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2008, 03:10:41 PM »
weren't the seats adjustable in the cats? for shorter pilots? what about the possibility of the pilot leaning foward somewhat as he turns his head to look over his shoulder?

That would be too logical of an assumption CAP ... especially if one wants to see the F6F views totally porked.

What the heck ... let's make all fighter planes require that you strap yourself in as tight as possible to the seat so that there is no real combination of body and head movement, so that the playing field is equal for all.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2008, 06:09:51 PM »

My argument has been that head movement in the F6F is far too restrictive. You cannot get your head anywhere near the inside of the canopy glass. If you compare head movement of the F4U vs the F6F, the Hellcat's is barely 50% of that in the F4U. Without mirrors, unfetter movement within the confines of the cockpit is essential. WWII pilots would leave their belts loose because the ability to be able to move around the cockpit to see an enemy outweighed any other consideration.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2008, 09:12:54 AM »
2 screen shots of min in 1024 x 768 + 1 from a wide screen.  Excuse my assumption but perhaps the powers that be actually did the remodeling using a wide screen.  Having said that I'm fully aware of my limitation of computering so I could be way off.  Would that actually make a difference?

"If" my assumption points at what is a mere oversite, then perhaps this could be remodelled in the next patch?

You'll need to click the link below to see more Wide Screen version for the back right rear

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,247533.msg3041452.html#msg3041452

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:21:34 AM by LYNX »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »
You can see pretty much the same amount of the horizontal tail in both the narrow and wide angle shots, so I'd say the blindspot is about the same.