Author Topic: Perk the Wirblewind and Ostwind  (Read 2205 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Perk the Wirblewind and Ostwind
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 05:00:40 AM »
WW is a great GV and should be perk.  I been killed by them at k 1.0, and tough GVs to kill.  Heck, the other night, sbout 15 of us try to kill one with what guns we had, rockets, bombs.  The dam thing just wont die.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 06:10:19 AM »
Heck, the other night, sbout 15 of us try to kill one with what guns we had, rockets, bombs.  The dam thing just wont die.

If you know how to aim those guns, rockets, bombs it will.

I <3 the WW.  It is probably my main GV perk farmer.  That said I fully support the idea of correcting any inconsistencies between RL turret traverse speed and ROF, and in game specs.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 09:29:24 AM »
If the turret speed is too fast, it should be corrected.

But I see no reason for them to be perked.  Even an M-3's .50cal can take out the turret if the WW driver's attention is elsewhere.  Much too fragile/vulnerable to deserve a perk.

Lowering the ENY to encourage more Osti and M-16 use would be fine, IMO.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 09:55:17 AM »
The only way a lower ENY will encourage a switch to the Osti or M16 is if ENY comes into effect and the WW is unavailable. Perk farming is just a bonus, the thing is just TOO damn effective.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
the thing is just TOO damn effective.

It's a GV.  As such it has a top speed of about 25mph, an open turret, and it's stuck to the ground.  If people can't find a way to avoid dieing to it either they are just too busy vulching to drop the vh and clean up the field, or flat out stupid. 

The WW has two things it does well, protect other gv's from low level IL2 attacks, and swat down vulchtards in droves.  There are very simple solutions to both these uses. 

As far as the whole Wirblewind spawning under a furball whines all I can say is LMGDAO.  No one (or at least very rarely) says "Hey look, there's a furball over our spawn I better get out there in a WW ASAP!".  Lets take a logical look at why people end up getting whacked by WW's at a spawn.

1. Someone, or a group of someones decides to roll some armor into an enemy field(they either will take a WW with now out of foresight, or after losing a couple tanks to the IL2s).
2. People on the other side see this and decide to up IL2s and B25Hs to defend.
3. Aircraft from the aggressor country show up on site and say "Hey look, low, slow, easy meat IL2' and 25s" and down they dive.
4. Inevitably guys start upping in light fighters to get the enemy fighters that are trying to get the IL2s and 25s.
5. The guys in the fighters from #4 get whacked by a WW and then the waterworks start. :cry :cry :cry
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2009, 10:47:57 AM »
As far as the whole Wirblewind spawning under a furball whines all I can say is LMGDAO.  No one (or at least very rarely) says "Hey look, there's a furball over our spawn I better get out there in a WW ASAP!"    Lets take a logical look at why people end up getting whacked by WW's at a spawn. 

Wrong again.

i spawn into A1 all the time with a WW and rack up the kills. best place on trinity to grab some kills in a WW. last tour i had about 400 kills in the WW. i would say 95% of those where from A1 on Trinity.

The funny thing about logic is that it's often contradicted by evidence.

I enjoy doing exactly what is being complained about at times.

When attacking an nme field, its nice to have a guy in a wurbl to knock off a couple of em while they are trying to gang you.

I've been shot down under the same conditions described in this thread
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:54:47 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
lol nice pick.   :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2009, 11:10:24 AM »
Too Funny. Fly around on the deck and complain about getting hit by ground fire. Perhaps your easy kill is leading you like a lamb to the slaughter.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 11:12:46 AM »
Wrong again.

Nice try, but no.  Of course there are exceptions to every rule(like the occasion guy who uses a shade to drop a CV in comparison to the litany of ZOMG SPIEZZZZ!! whines).

Fights break out over spawn points because the enemy is there trying to get their armor in, not the other way around.  Sure some dweebs will try and ack drag you to a WW when they get in trouble, thats not the guy on the grounds fault.  I have people try and ack drag me all the time, I find breaking off to be a good way to not get 100 20mm rounds in my spinner. 

Honestly if you're in an aircraft doing 300mph and cant figure out a way to not get killed by something that only goes 25mph and with most people driving it has an effective range inside of 1K that's your problem, no one elses.

Do I occasionally get caught sleeping by a flak while flying low? Sure I do, but it's a rare and when it does happen I think to myself "Doh, where is my SA".  Getting shot by a WW you never saw is like getting bounced by a guy in a plane you never saw.  It's your fault, not his.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:12 AM »
It's a GV.  As such it has a top speed of about 25mph, an open turret, and it's stuck to the ground.  If people can't find a way to avoid dieing to it either they are just too busy vulching to drop the vh and clean up the field, or flat out stupid. 

And it's effective to the point that it has completely displaced every other vehicle with the same mission profile. It's the EXACT same thing that happened before the C-Hog was perked, and why the -4 NEEDS to be: If they weren't, that's all you'd see and it would significantly unbalance the game.

Because the turret traverses faster than it should, and because its rate and volume of fire FAR above what they were historically, (remember, the only way gunners could historically get a constant stream of fire was to only fire a pair of guns at a time) the WW has a level of effectiveness--beyond its historical performance capabilities--that fully justifies the perk.

If HTC were to adjust the turret speed to what has been suggested, or finds some way to implement the reduced rate of fire or lethality based on loading limitations (either a brief delay after 20 rounds are fired while the clips or changed out, or fire from only two guns at a time) I'd say wait and see what sort of change that makes. However as it stands right now, the WW HAS unbalanced the ground game by virtually eliminating the M16 and Osti from use.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:21 AM »
Again, an enemy aircraft that wasn't there can't suddenly spawn onto your 6 o'clock position.  A wirbelwind that wasn't there can magically appear at any time.  The inability to predict when a wirbel will spawn is about as much the pilot's fault as being born.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 11:26:21 AM »
If HTC were to adjust the turret speed to what has been suggested, or finds some way to implement the reduced rate of fire or lethality based on loading limitations (either a brief delay after 20 rounds are fired while the clips or changed out, or fire from only two guns at a time) I'd say wait and see what sort of change that makes. However as it stands right now, the WW HAS unbalanced the ground game by virtually eliminating the M16 and Osti from use.

I agree with these sentiments completely.

To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »
Again, an enemy aircraft that wasn't there can't suddenly spawn onto your 6 o'clock position.  A wirbelwind that wasn't there can magically appear at any time.  The inability to predict when a wirbel will spawn is about as much the pilot's fault as being born.

This is true, and while I'm sure it happens, not very often.  When you spawn you have to jump from the drivers position to the gunners, scan around for a target, then get the turret correctly oriented.  Getting plinked by a Flak that spawns right under you is bad luck for you, and good luck for him.

I know the tone of my last couple posts has been a bit harsh, I just wanted to point out that I am making statements in general and not directing them directly at you gavagai.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 11:32:15 AM »
Again, an enemy aircraft that wasn't there can't suddenly spawn onto your 6 o'clock position.  A wirbelwind that wasn't there can magically appear at any time.  The inability to predict when a wirbel will spawn is about as much the pilot's fault as being born.

The Wirbel can only spawn at a fixed location, which is known to everyone and marked by a big arrow on the map.
You are massively exaggerating it's capacity to "ruin furballs"
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »
The Wirbel can only spawn at a fixed location, which is known to everyone and marked by a big arrow on the map.
You are massively exaggerating it's capacity to "ruin furballs"

Because we know everyone has their map up in the middle of a heated dogfight.  :rolleyes: