Author Topic: The jugfire  (Read 8260 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The jugfire
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2001, 08:28:00 AM »
So, WMaker, you are implying that you do not want the American built planes to get field modification kits...

Does this mean that you do not want the German built planes to get any field modification kits? I mean, then we mine as well deny you the opportunity to add gondolas, that's a field modification kit. You can get the base 109s and 190s, that's it.

Sound good?
-SW

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
The jugfire
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2001, 09:06:00 AM »
My little furry nuts itch...any volunters?

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The jugfire
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2001, 09:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ:
Which pretty german experimental plane are you talking about?... So no Toad you dont have a clever point here unless somebody here was asking for something entirely innapropriate like a Do335.

I'm sure you noticed that I did not specifically mention any particular aircraft, nor did I mention any particular game. So put your aggressive/defensive mode back on the shelf.  :)

It is a statement about the Bearcat being combat ready and deployed, with commentary that those conditions are deemed "not qualifying" by some folks. While OTOH, the instance of a few undeployed non-combat ready aircraft that encountered enemy aircraft are deemed "qualifying" for inclusion.

As for your examples:

The 262 was deployed in squadron strength, with mechanics and spares, was it not?

The TA-152 was deployed also, was it not? JG 301 with 70-odd aircraft? One would assume mechanics and spares?

So, while I didn't mention ANY particular aircraft, these two would qualify under either standard, now wouldn't they?

People asking for the Do335? I refer you to Karnak's (I think it was Karnak) thread on "which German aircraft do you want to see in the game." The Do335 is indeed mentioned several times, as well as others of a similar ilk.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
The jugfire
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2001, 09:23:00 AM »
How could they justify Do335?????

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
The jugfire
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
Wasnt the P-47M and N deployed in the Pac...?

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The jugfire
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
Justification is the question, is it not? What "standard" should be used? Sort of like noses, I suspect... everyone has a different one.

I don't know. You'd have to ask them.  :)

Here's the topic:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=002107
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
The jugfire
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2001, 10:44:00 AM »
the ta-152 was a prototype in 1943/44.In 1945 was a production aircraft. With few planes produced, true, but a PRODUCTION aircraft wich saw REAL combat.

The only german plane wich was really rushed into production was the He162 (in fact a quite good plane for the short time it took to be designed&enter service), all the rest had lengthy prototype phases with extensive testing before entering production. Had the Ta been "rushed" into action it would've been flying in combat since the latter part of 1944.

The F8f was a production plane. It was in route to the action. It saw none. A shame, but the fact remains. Same goes for the P51H. Same goes for the F7F. Same goes for the P80...etc etc etc.

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: R4M ]

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
The jugfire
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2001, 10:52:00 AM »
BTW, eddiek sure seems awfully quiet.

Yep, I have been sitting back and letting this one go.....was hoping others would do the same.  StSanta posted an inquiry in good faith, and it seems to have gone way off course, and I apologize for my part in that StSanta.     :(

What we have here is a difference in opinions.  To some, their is a real passion for a particular plane.  Mine is the P-47.  Others we have seen here include various models of the 109 and 190, and the Spitfire.
In my opinion, and I speak only for myself, to get the most accurate representation of WWII air combat in the virtual world, you have to look at what the planes were like when they entered combat.  Nothing more, nothing less.  
From your statements, WMaker, it would appear that the 109/190 series had a multitude of engine/performance enhancements within the same model.....what I read from that is Pyro is correct if he models them with OR without GM-1, MW-50, etc.  In another post, a respected AH pilot asked about MW-50 in the 109G6, commenting that he had read that it was available on some of them.  I do not doubt for an instant that it was there for some of them.  The reasoning for adding the MW-50 to the AH plane was regarding a perceived performance gap in the LW planes for the time period he sees the 109G6 as representing.  Point made.  
This is all a gray area....both sides have valid points.  But I think Ammo stated it better than I ever could when he brought up the fact that as soon as a method to improve performance was discovered, it was applied to planes already in the field.....they did not wait til the new planes arrived, they applied them to the aircraft already in theater.  They had to.  I READ that the Jugs were worked over to make them more survivable in combat as soon as they were assigned to a unit/squadron.  Why?  Because as one person put it, "without them, you wouldn't last 10 minutes in combat."  Sound anything like AH?  It does to me.  
Situation"  You enter a combat area in the arena, you are at 25K, see lots of dots ahead, the dar tells you that a good percentage of them are enemy.  After closing to within icon range, you see a P47, a Spit, a P51, and a 190.  They are all at or near co-alt with you and you have E to spare.  Oh, you are in a 109.      ;)  You have plenty of friendlies in the area, so you are not outnumbered.  Which one are you going to go after first?

From what I have seen and experienced, most will go after the P-47 first....this tends to make me believe that pilots see the P-47 as an easy kill, less respected than the others.  Why?  Because in it's current state, it is not nearly as lethal as the others.  It cannot survive for long in a sustained fight.  It's most common "escape" route, the dive advantage, is negated in AH....109's and 190's, Spits, etc, can and will close on a Jug in a dive.  Why?  Got no idea.  Reading pilot accounts, a 109 or 190 pilot, excepting the Dora, would be committing suicide to dive after a Jug, or to attempt to dive away from one.  The Jug in RL was reported to be much faster, and would leave them in the dust when chased, or gobble them up when doing the chasing.  Can't count how many times I have watched a 109/190 extend away from me in a dive when I was chasing them.  I've been flying the Jug since it hit the arena, and I know about and use the "zero G" dive technique.  They still leave ya in the dust.  Reports of wartime tests of a Jug vs a 190 showed that the 190 pulled away initially, but the Jug not only caught it, but also had a much better pullout alt.  
Anyway, back to our little discussion.....to restate myself, based on what you have said, technically, all the 109's and 190's are modeled correctly, as any of several configurations were available and in service.  So why add MW-50 or GM-1?  To give you a performance boost?  Why ask for it if the plane is already correct as Pyro and company have it?  
I realize Pyro's situation....he is keeping to "what the factory offered" only.  To do different would open a whole can of worms.   I am not positive what area the gondolas and such occupy in this topic.  My original beliefs were that the LW dealt with many varying situations by offering "field kits" to arm planes for differing roles.....if so, technically, that falls under the category of a field mod and not a factory installation, even if it was designed by factory engineers to be applied to planes in the field.  

It's really all kinda weird.......I've been reading/studying WW2 aviation since I was 9 years old, and I am now 35, and I STILL have not learned all there is to know.  But does anyone?  You can find reference books galore out there, but you have to ask yourself "Is this person being objective, or does he have a thing for a particular plane?"  Of more value, IMO, are the biographies and testimonies from the pilots, on both sides.  True, you WILL see differing perspectives, as USAAF pilots believed their birds were more than a match for the LW, and LW pilots felt the same about their planes in regards to their opponents.  Robert Johnson, in his interview with Widewing, talks about what he saw in combat, and how his plane performed compared to his opponents.  I have read accounts from Galland........both were supremely confident in their mounts, both were extremely successful.  Opposing opinions are the norm, and will always be there.  Just as in AH.
Oh.........FWIW, StSanta, I was able to turn inside a Spit the other nite in a D-11......the Spit pilot was inexperienced you could tell, and I was down to less than 1/4 on my main tank, and it did take some throttle jockeying to get my cornering speed right, but I did get inside and shoot him down.......Sancho and I talked it over right after it happened.......I think occurences like that are the exception rather than the norm........

To summarize everything I have said in this long, rambling post, let me say this:
Aces High is not perfect, it never will be, but the crew at HTC have given us a wonderful game to play.  From where I stand, to make it better, and more "realistic" (man, I hate using that word talking about an online game), they will have to enter the gray area and look at what the planes were like when they were taken into combat, not just what the factory sent out the doors.  IMO, to do less takes away from their attempt to recreate what took place in the skies during the Second World War.  Some planes admittedly were deficient in areas as delivered, and they were not sent into battle in that condition, they were made more competitive, and therefore, more survivable, and that is what I would like to see in this game.

PS--Again, my apologies to all for this long post, and above all, my apologies to StSanta.  You asked a question, you have an answer.     :D
Ask yourselves this also:  Which would make you feel better after scoring a kill....knowing that the plane you killed "flew" like it saw action during WW2, or knowing that it was less than what what the RL plane was, combat-wise?    ;)

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: eddiek ]

Offline DmdStuB

• Zinc Member
The jugfire
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
Ah ha,  I'm not the only one  :)
I have been experimenting a little bit (in the d-30) and it seems like the jug is a completely different plane when you get to 1/4 fuel.  I did 2 sorties with 1/4 fuel (and drop tanks for the climb/ingress) and did great.  The plane was very manouverable.  Then I took 1/2 fuel (no drop tanks) and when I acted dumb and tried to fight the same way, it was impossible.  I eventually ended up spinning in.  I will experiment some more to figure out if it was due to the extra weight or different cg (or probably both).
So, I say yes, Jugfire is appropriate monniker when it is at 1/4 fuel  :)
Hehe, can't wait till it gets the paddle prop  :)

StuB

Originally posted by eddiek:

Oh.........FWIW, StSanta, I was able to turn inside a Spit the other nite in a D-11......the Spit pilot was inexperienced you could tell, and I was down to less than 1/4 on my main tank, and it did take some throttle jockeying to get my cornering speed right, but I did get inside and shoot him down.......Sancho and I talked it over right after it happened.......I think occurences like that are the exception rather than the norm........

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
The jugfire
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wmaker:
A little long and probably too hot topic for an example but it was the best I could come up with. Now I hope that everyone would be smart enough and not start arguing about the above since it's not the topic of this thread...I really don't want to be a thread hijacker. It's just an example, that's all.

Some of you people really amaze me!! :eek:  :(
What part of the above you didn't understand?? I'm not afraid to discuss about this but there should be another thread for this. Start one if you have much to say.

Originally posted by straffo:
So Wmaker you want to see thousand of 162 / 262 and FW parked in forest ... without being able to fly with one ?

If you want history in the MA jump allways to the gangbanged country to fly your lw Iron   ;) it would be more realistic   :D

Obviously too much of that cognac...
Where did I say I want 162 / 262 parked in the forest? Where was I saying that I want history in the MA? I said AH is a combat sim featuring WW2 aircraft. What does that got to do with what you replied here?

Originally posted by Toad:
Just a point on the Bearcat. It was deployed aboard a carrier that was enroute to the war zone when the Japanese surrendered.

At that time, the carrier was at Pearl Harbor, making its last preparations and loading supplies prior to entering the war zone.

The aircraft and the squadron were combat ready. The only thing missing was an enemy directly overhead, which is what allows some pretty experimental German aircraft to slip into games under the "saw combat" rule.

Not exactly an even standard to decide by, is it?

What would happen if we were to invent and use a "fully combat ready aircraft and deployed as at least one trained squadron complete with maintenance troops and spare parts" rule?   ;)

F8F didn't see combat in WW2 therefore it's not a WW2 combat plane. Therefore it has no place in the combat sim featuring WW2 aircraft. As long as AH is a combat sim featuring WW2 aircraft that is. If a P-51H for example is introduced (it was in the Pyro's variant poll) AH stops being combat sim featuring WW2 aircraft. That's HTC's decision to make. But then I want a MIG-21Bis with Finnish Air Force markings. And yes you can start talking about pretty experimental german aircraft when we have one in the game.

Originally posted by SWulfe:
So, WMaker, you are implying that you do not want the American built planes to get field modification kits...

LOL...so now I'm picking on american planes! :rolleyes: Where on earth did you get this idea?!? I'll quote myself from earlier reply in this thread:

Originally posted by Wmaker:
Allthough I have nothing against D-11 getting a paddle blade prop you can't make a point using this as an example.

--------------------

1Wmaker1

Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
The jugfire
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2001, 01:07:00 PM »
For the guy in one of the above posts...the p-47d25 and d30 have paddle props. The d11 doesnt... yet perhaps.

XBAT

AKDejaVu

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The jugfire
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »
Guess I misread it Wmaker.
-SW

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
The jugfire
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
"For the guy in one of the above posts...the p-47d25 and d30 have paddle props. The d11 doesnt... yet perhaps.
XBAT "

And from what Pyro said in another post.......it won't.  :eek:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The jugfire
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »
You mean you don't want to use this rule?

"What would happen if we were to invent and use a "fully combat ready aircraft and deployed as at least one trained squadron complete with maintenance troops and spare parts" rule?"

:D

I am not suprised!

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
The jugfire
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that Toad. If you are referring to Ta-152 it saw combat. It shot down enemy planes and got shot down by them. Neither happened to F8F for example during the WW2. I really couldn't care less about training and spare parts...

---------------

1Wmaker1

Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!