Author Topic: Sight tactic for Mossies, 163s...ect  (Read 3521 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Sight tactic for Mossies, 163s...ect
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 04:50:04 AM »
People will just put a dot on their screen.  A real fix would be head bobbing/shifting under Gs.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »
I see all the cockpit I need to see. I can see speed, Alt, compass heading, flaps, gear, gas, I can even see boost and RPM. I tried this yesterday using the Mossie to its best advantage. I came into a target at 10k, and very fast, took out a VH and exited, again very fast. I stretch out against a corsair and then shot him down. This is going to take some getting used to but already I can see that you can see better and shoot angles better.

The mossie has an excellent over the nose view - an expected from a short nose and high sitting position. If you move all the was forward and some up, it is almost a no-cockpit view.

Also, you do not need to measure anything. Lower the head position till you see your real aimpoint in the hud, put the cursor on it and move your head to where ever you want - the cursor will stay at the aimpoint.

Buy yes, this is kind of exploit and the cursor should disappear after a few seconds.

What'll really blow the idea away is the fact that you don't NEED an aiming reference when shooting under the nose with head position moved like that. You're praying anyways, and with a little practice (it's quite easy) you can memorize where the "center" of the screen is.

Forcing yourself to shoot at the "X" is just a crutch. You can get past it.

Yeah probably. Then again the Mossie has so many rounds to shoot you can probably just walk your rounds in too. And if you have flown it enough you probably dont need any kind of sight. I prefer having a sight. But remember using this sight will change your point of aim for dive bombing some. You can do one of two things, 1, release bombs a little shorter of the target or 2, use your regular sight base and release at a shallower angle.

Next Im going to try it on is the A-20. Which, btw, I dont often fly and doubt if this tactic will work on other airplanes. Or, if theres a need for it. There seems to be a special need on the Mossie and 163 to sit higher.

noob here, how do you do that?

You have a "cursor" file in your AH folder right now. Go name it "cursor2" and then right click the cursor sight, save it to the same AH file, and name it "cursor" if it already isnt so named. Now the cursor sight will be your regular cursor in the game. If you dont like it just switch names around and rename "cursor2" to "cursor" again, "naming the cursor sight "cursor3" or anything you want. The game defaults to the cursor you have named "cursor" in your AH file.

Mostly I use the cursor sight for the IL-2.

If people want to end exploitation and gaminess then maybe they should start with gamy play. I fly in historical correct fashion no matter where I put the cursor sight on my little cartoon airplane.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 06:16:27 PM »
Works well with Osti and wirb.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 06:21:40 PM »
Next Im going to try it on is the A-20. Which, btw, I dont often fly and doubt if this tactic will work on other airplanes. Or, if theres a need for it. There seems to be a special need on the Mossie and 163 to sit higher.
It will work in any aircraft. It works particularly well in the 110 as well, used to work well with the N1K and Ta 152H as well before they got updated. Any aircraft benefits from shifting your head position up.

I have my up-down axis set very sensitive with my TIR. I can't use the mouse trick, however it does allow me a better over the nose view where I can just estimate the shot. I used to have the forward view of my hat switch set to the full up position as well, I never used the mouse though.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
The 152 pov range didn't change... I think we got slightly more room towards the back.  The canopy bars were the biggest difference.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »
The 152 pov range didn't change... I think we got slightly more room towards the back.  The canopy bars were the biggest difference.
I remember being able to shift up to the point where the gunsight was all but completely off of the glass.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
I guess your FWD position is different from mine.. I use back/left/up.  It's a negligibly different pov from there, compared to the old model.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 08:51:43 AM »
A clear piece of tape with a cross drawn on it, taped to your screen works really well.
Zazen had a write up on this when aiming the osti.
Works really well in tiffy/tempest too.
Projoe 367th Dynamite Gang

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 01:34:14 PM »
I always loved the Mossie but the front view is set to low for optimum views. I always wanted to sit up higher, and would do so. However when I went to sight an enemy, or even use other views, I would have to return to default vew which is simply to low. I noticed this with the ME-163 too. When viewing forward, and in order to use the sights, you have to sit down like your in a bathtub. You could set all the other views higher and/or farther back but not the front view, "again you were slaved to the default in order to use your sights. So heres what I did.

First I put this cursor sight into the game as my default cursor. (Image removed from quote.)

Then I went to my Mossie, upp it, brought up a target and set it to 400 away. I leveled my Mossie, paged up and back until I got the view I wanted, from this (Image removed from quote.) To this (Image removed from quote.) And I played with the cursor sight until I could hit dead center target with it zeroed at 400 yrds in level flight. The distance from the bottom of the cursor to the top of the sight base was 7/8'th an inch. Then, and this is very important, I landed the thing without touching the cursor and then measured the distance from the top of the sight base to the bottom of the cursor as 1.1/8" . So now when I upp a Mossie, and before I take off, I take my sight/cursor, center it on the sight base, and make sure the bottom base of the sight is 1&1/8th " apart. I'll be dead on every time.

Now look at the ME-163 views. First the regular/default front view (Image removed from quote.)
Now look at your enhanced view using the cursor sight. (Image removed from quote.)

This should help deflections shots an awful lot. Using it will certainly help your S/A. And now with both sight planes measured, while the airplane is level and when its angled for takeoff, you'll be right on shooting dead on.

:salute

I move the mossie view to the centre of the cockpit, and on the 163 you can fully leave the cockpit to the right.  Great tips though - when i posted about changing the in game cursor and moving position of head, i got accused of cheating, so be warned.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,246066.0.html
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:36:49 PM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »
Yup, you can do this in any of the un-updated planes, the newer ones have more realistic restrictions on head movement.

Hence the decline in use of the N1K post update.

Despite the advantage it affords, I can't bring myself to use this "tactic."
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
Hence the decline in use of the N1K post update.

Despite the advantage it affords, I can't bring myself to use this "tactic."

You think, for example, the omnipresence and advantages afforded to various low-alt interceptor rockets by MA conditions is any less unrealistic?  :D

And honestly, I don't think it is all that advantageous vs. setting up deflection shots the regular way.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 02:48:31 PM »
You think, for example, the omnipresence and advantages afforded to various low-alt interceptor rockets by MA conditions is any less unrealistic?  :D

And honestly, I don't think it is all that advantageous vs. setting up deflection shots the regular way.
Nope, shooting blind is almost the same as actually being able to see your target.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 02:53:02 PM »
Nope, shooting blind is almost the same as actually being able to see your target.

I was comparing your typical "blind lead" deflection shot where raising your head might helps vs. 1. Setting up the shot as a more cross angle so you *can* see your target and 2. getting so close you can't miss.

Thing about the "cursor cheat", it really helps in planes where you can't raise your head all that much anyway, but moving the head position around some helps get frames out of the way, such as the 190 or P-47D-11.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:54:41 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »
I've even heard from several players using TrackIR that they don't need the crosshair anymore.

Yup, because I'm left eye dominant my sight is always off too the right. So you learn to do without. Thought I do suck and dead 6 shots. I would say the mossie view is actually quite good when the aircraft is fast, it's only when it's slow the nose comes up to intefere with shooting.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
This type of thing is high in the "gaming the game" ranking.

If one needs to do this in order to get an "edge" over their opponent ... ... ...    :huh
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.