Author Topic: Sight tactic for Mossies, 163s...ect  (Read 3517 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Sight tactic for Mossies, 163s...ect
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2009, 01:11:59 PM »
How am I gaming the game?  Are people who use TrackIR gaming the game?  You really are totally clueless.  What's your game handle?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2009, 01:13:38 PM »
Small question: As a TrackIR user, my head is moving around in the cockpit all the time. Up down, left right, looking around those pesky canopy bars, within the limits HTC has set for the planes.

Is that "gaming the game" too?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:18:23 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »
Do you use the gun sight, or do you deflection shoot with your virtual face planted in the canopy top/side while pulling 6 G's?
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2009, 01:19:15 PM »
Do you use the gun sight, or do you deflection shoot with your virtual face planted in the canopy top/side while pulling 6 G's?

In close clombat I rarely use gunsight.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »
Do you consider that to be realistic?
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »
Do you consider that to be realistic?

Not all the time, but I haven't flown a fighter in RL yet.

Now I guess you wan't me not to move my head? In other words, disabling my TIR in a dogfight, as moving my head is being a instinctively and naturally thing? Or in other words, I should impose on myself a kind of "realism" that the game itself doesn't provide for whatever reasons?

BTW, a real pilot did have a similar choice too: he could look through the gunsight, or he could just shoot when the enemy filled his windscreen without using the sight...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:26:58 PM by Lusche »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2009, 01:24:20 PM »
DH - Are you somehow intermitently illiterate?  I said I constantly look around the bars.  It's almost spastic, unless the target is especially slow.  I NEED to keep re-evaluating the target.  I NEED to get those stupid fockwulfe cockbit bars out of the way.  I don't need the stupid gunsight.  I can tell exactly which way the nose is pointing, the same way I don't need to hear the stall horn or buffet (music on full blast) because I know that part of the plane by heart too.. Hell.. I could probably (and I've done it before but never planned to specifically make the shot that way, on purpose) shoot those snapshots while looking in one of the 45deg+fwd views.  I know exactly where the bullets are going.  Having the trigger disabled while in anything but the HOME head position would make no difference. If for no other reason because my aim is only a bit over average. I don't need extraordinary aim because I can fly myself to easy shots at least 3/4 of the time.

What a stupid argument.  As if it's "gamey" or a crutch for people to shoot from the hip in reality.  Hell yes you can know a tool so well that you can use it almost blindfolded.
What's your handle?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:31:44 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2009, 01:37:09 PM »
Not all the time, but I haven't flown a fighter in RL yet.

Now I guess you wan't me not to move my head? In other words, disabling my TIR in a dogfight, as moving my head is being a instinctively and naturally thing? Or in other words, I should impose on myself a kind of "realism" that the game itself doesn't provide for whatever reasons?

Not at all: in your case TIR doesn't keep the center of your screen perfectly aligned with the gun sight at all times like it does with Moot's "aim around the nose" approach. If everybody used TIR there would be no issue. And in any case I'm not going to tell you how to play your game... However I reserve the right to voice my opinion on it at any time.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »
As if it's "gamey" or a crutch for people to shoot from the hip in reality. 

Shooting from the hip is not something you do in real life and expect to hit anything (though it does work as suppressive fire).

-Gandhi

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »
Yeah whatever.  I need to look around the bars. All I have is a single I/O switch to do it with. Shooting from there when the nose is so obviously pointing in one precise direction is no exploit. I don't need to be sitting a mile up, I just need the bars to move a couple degrees in some direction.  I can shoot in flowing padlock too.  Your argument is bogus.

What's your handle?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2009, 01:49:58 PM »
My last handle was DieHard2 I think, why?

I've heard that there is another DieHard flying now, so next time I subscribe I'll have to get creative.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »
Yeah whatever.  I need to look around the bars.

You know very well that's not what we're talking about.

Everyone can do it. I used to do it and.. Now I don't even need it anymore. I know exactly where the rounds are going without the cursor. In the 152 and 262 anyway.

Yeah you used to "do it", as in used the mouse pointer as a sight, but now you don't need it anymore because you've learned where the sight line is in relation to the magical always-in-line-with-the-sight forward view.

That's what we're talking about.

-Gandhi

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2009, 02:03:50 PM »
It IS what we're talking about, because you can't reliably tap the fwd hat button to reproduce the natural head movement that's enabled by e.g. TIR, which is the REAL benefit of that button.  Whether some schmoe exploits it or not with some cheesy cursor is just a red herring. You're hooked on that red herring so hard that you can't hear me say this: I know where the guns are pointing the same way you can take a fork to your mouth blindfolded or looking away, in snap or padlock modes.  But then that's not surprising when you're the guy that argued the A8 is competitive, or that the 110G can give a P38 a run for its money, etc.

Yes, I used to do it because it would be stupid, in a damn GAME, to let the other competitors win only because they could do that.  You stuck to this argument like to fly paper and won't look at the real big picture:  That crutch makes no difference either way, because my flying does at least 75% of the work towards winning a fight, and because I could shoot without any gunsight whatsoever, on the majority of the shots I set up for myself.

It's also stupid to not show players this ability that'll help them keep good SA so that they outgrow this crutch sooner than later.  This is pretty much exactly in line with the other arguments above, but you're too myopic to see it, or refuse to admit it.

What is your handle in the game?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:06:00 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2009, 02:12:32 PM »
Yes, I used to do it because it would be stupid, in a damn GAME, to let the other competitors win only because they could do that. 

I think that pretty much says it all. You game the game because other dweebs do it. Do you regularly HO and gang as well? Do you fly in the horde a lot? Other people are, so I guess you should do too, lest they gain an advantage.

-Gandhi

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2009, 02:29:25 PM »
It says you'll spin something out of context to support your arguments.  You're clueless.  On the arguments you twist out of their original stated phrasing, and on what you report yourself.  A8s are dogmeat, 110Gs aren't competitive with P38s, I don't think this stupid cursor exploit is HTC's fault, I don't use it anymore, I do know how to fly the P47, A8 and 110G to their strength, and so on.  Do I regularly HO and gang and fly in the horde...   LOL
lest they gain an advantage.
:rofl  Yeah.. I'd never do things like .. almost exclusively fly into fights from a defensive position in one of the worst turners in the game, and fly the TnB planes' fight.

This is a stupid discussion. I'm done.

And FYI.  The cursor exploit is taught at least sometimes in one of the official Trainer clinics.  Don't miss out on getting all indignant to HTC about it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:30:56 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you