Author Topic: DA; Furball Lake  (Read 2080 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: DA; Furball Lake
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
The whole landing bit was brought up in another DA thread.  I'm guilty of landing many times, but it's not for stats, I just like landing...  If that makes sense lol.

Landing can be fun...:)

When your out of ammo, fuel, life, etc, to me it becomes just a stressful game of dodge the BnZ as long as you can before the inevitable happens.  I'd rather get home, feel happy that my cartoon pilot is still alive, and then up again!  :)  (It's also really fun to try to land with bits and peices missing...)

Normally the pickers carry more than 1/4 tank. Everyone else in Furball Lake  normally takes 1/4 tanks of gas. When was the last time you took off in the MA, other than a quickie base defense move, with a 1/4 tank of gas? I even take DT's. :lol

I do have fun in furball island-- most of the time.  It is a bit obnoxious that people run from a 1v1 in their tempest, even though it's free, but that happens in the MA as well.

:lol it's not like they're losing any perk points!

The only problem is it's nothing remotely like flying the big arena war scenario and cost them nothing, ever. It makes you wonder if it costs you nothing and means nothing how will you ever get better? Maybe no one wants to?
But, it's available and they want to be cartoon hero's then kewl. Let em. Just don't push other noobs away, please.

Ren

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 02:51:25 PM »
How do you conciliate being picking and ganging heroes and not pushing noobs away?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline strong10

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
  I logged into DA 2 nights ago and there were 2 geniuses strafing the field I was on and trying to vulch while 5-6 green guys were chasing them around trying to kill them..  Just typical DA nonsense I thought..  It's very easy mode in the furball area.  You can get a lot of kills flying around the cliff getting guys to horde auger into the ground..  
  The time I enjoy it is getting a few guys from the MA together when it's real slow and have some respectful decent fights.  Inevitably you will get the guy who doesn't communicate at all and try's to interrupt your fights as you pause from the fight and tell your enemy cohort to kill the dweeb first.
  You may think the guys typically in the DA leave their dweeby DA antics in the DA and don't carry it over to the MA.  I have encountered a couple of 'decent sticks' in the DA, dweeb it up in the MA.  One in particular that I'll call Dweeb.  Dweeb gave me a few decent fights in the DA and I thought he was an OK guy.  He didn't seem to pick or act dweeby.  One day in the MA, I had a good 109 vs 109 on the deck fight going when I spied 2 cons coming in to attempt the pick which I couldn't do much about.. one augured and it was Dweeb!  Same day Dweeb got into a co-alt co-e fight and he was killed in 1 or 2 turns, it was pretty bad.. I thought maybe it was his kid playing(if he's got kids).  Same day I got picked by Dweeb in another good fight with somebody else which he knew it was me since there were only a few playing in that area of the map.  I basically thought Dweeb acted like a numbers guy in the MA but he was decent in the DA.  Kind of strange.  Just an observation.  
  I think the antics in the DA may carry over and pollute the MA somehow.    

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 03:12:01 PM »
How do you conciliate being picking and ganging heroes and not pushing noobs away?

What? :x   speak english please.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 03:47:54 PM »
We could do this in french, no chance of my miscommunicating then.  Do you speak french as well as I speak english? No amount of levity will validate an invalid argument Ren... How do you equate a moshpit of ganging, picking, and general anti-gameplay dweebery as not pushing noobs away more than the old quaint check-6-to-engage environment back years ago? 
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »
He's asking how do you reconcile the seeming contradiction between you saying on the one hand "Its there 15 bux!" and on the other "Please don't spoil the game for other people".  

I'm interested in that too.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
I would guess the ratio of trigger time to flying time is making up for the picks, the hos,  and the gangings for the DA peeps.  You don't see a lot of grousing about gameplay on the open channel there, and you'd expect to see a lot of it.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »
There's less trigger time in alt monkeys, ganging and being ganged, etc, than in fights with more even odds.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline strong10

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »
I think the DA(furball lake) takes away from fights in the MA.  If furball lake was gone, more people would be in the MA.  There is hardly anyone ever fighting 'private duals' there.  And if you do, expect to get interrupted by some dork who will not leave you alone even if you tell them it's a private fight. 

I don't see why a new guy should ever go to the DA furball lake.. It is a complete waste of time for him/her.  He will just get bounced immediately or join a horde daisy chain to hopelessly try and shoot at or hit a single con.  Furball lake should be off limits to new guys for at least a month.         

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »
In another thread I posted I explained:  I went in the DA to warm up and asked if anyone would like to one  on one a P47.
Feel free to use any aircraft you wish.  (no takers)  At that time in the tower two tempests landed with 2 killz announced on
country channel....back slapping all around.  They were in a Squad.

I had trouble understanding this.  I guess I'm getting old.  I upped a D40 50 fuel and promptly I had my match...against 8-10
of them.  I got two of them....from the tower I read...   XXXX  landed with 3 killz member of &%$# q8729 squadron.

I left.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 05:45:10 PM »
He's asking how do you reconcile the seeming contradiction between you saying on the one hand "Its there 15 bux!" and on the other "Please don't spoil the game for other people". I'm interested in that too.

It IS their $15. I don't regulate it. I can only ask the DA guys don't push away the new guys.
That falls under HTC's programmers to do. They could post a response to a newly signed up player to
go directly to the TA for setup help.
Under the list of arenas perhaps iso of Training Arena maybe it might read  "New? Goto Training Arena".

HTC has made it pretty clear the DA would not be regulated and it's not. Until that happens what we see is what we get,
In the MA's when someone asks for help, after the usual alt-f4's are finished most people tell them to go to the TA.

There is no contradiction as new guys can go into the DA and train away from the Lake without much problem. Unfortunately, some people do interrupt sessions between some folks working with each other to learn. Normally they back off when asked to. Sometimes they do not. Again that is a regulatory issue.

If you are asking if people paying their $15 should be able to fly in the DA and do what they want? Ask HiTech. It's his arena. Right now the answer is yes.
Are you asking how I feel about it? I'd like to see the new guys get left alone so they might have a chance at learning the game. Other than that I could care less what they do in there. If they want to gang bang each other, go for it.
As far as the new guys, I do not control them or what they do nor would I want to. I can only point them in the right direction.

Ren

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
In another thread I posted I explained:  I went in the DA to warm up and asked if anyone would like to one  on one a P47.
Feel free to use any aircraft you wish.  (no takers)  At that time in the tower two tempests landed with 2 killz announced on
country channel....back slapping all around.  They were in a Squad.

I had trouble understanding this.  I guess I'm getting old.  I upped a D40 50 fuel and promptly I had my match...against 8-10
of them.  I got two of them....from the tower I read...   XXXX  landed with 3 killz member of &%$# q8729 squadron.

I left.
Random idea:  In the DA, you only cause damage if the guy you shoot at has acknowledged your challenge.  e.g. via a check 6-like function.
Flaws: Makes many-vs.-many fights complex as english manners because you'd easily have a queue of challenges to vet.  The simplest possible mechanism (1 item-long queue, 1 button press to accept challenge) would fail... Next simplest would be a ~10 item buffer, and two buttons.  One accept, one reject.  You press those and sort thru the list of challenges by order of reception.  Either have the challenger info (matching what you see on your end, e.g. "Plane type, range, maybe player name") in the text buffer (like join requests), or have the icon and dar dot light up while the challenge is in limbo.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »
It IS their $15. I don't regulate it. I can only ask the DA guys don't push away the new guys.
That falls under HTC's programmers to do. They could post a response to a newly signed up player to
go directly to the TA for setup help.
Under the list of arenas perhaps iso of Training Arena maybe it might read  "New? Goto Training Arena".

HTC has made it pretty clear the DA would not be regulated and it's not. Until that happens what we see is what we get,
In the MA's when someone asks for help, after the usual alt-f4's are finished most people tell them to go to the TA.

There is no contradiction as new guys can go into the DA and train away from the Lake without much problem. Unfortunately, some people do interrupt sessions between some folks working with each other to learn. Normally they back off when asked to. Sometimes they do not. Again that is a regulatory issue.

If you are asking if people paying their $15 should be able to fly in the DA and do what they want? Ask HiTech. It's his arena. Right now the answer is yes.
Are you asking how I feel about it? I'd like to see the new guys get left alone so they might have a chance at learning the game. Other than that I could care less what they do in there. If they want to gang bang each other, go for it.
As far as the new guys, I do not control them or what they do nor would I want to. I can only point them in the right direction.

Ren

So as far as what you'd suggest, there's no contradiction between gang banging and newbies being turned off by said gang banging, because you're against regulation in the DA.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »

I don't have huge respect for the guy who can only land 2 in the DA,.. try landing 5 or more in a turn fighter... you'll find it's not that easy to do when the arenas full. Making it home all shot up, outta ammo /fuel with bad guys in tow can be very challenging.

I kind of feel the same in the main. I understand the importance of giving wtg's to the newer player having 2 but for myself, I'd rather just ditch than respond to any wtg's for that.

It's more fitting for the guys who've been here longer than 6 months to see a   "WTF! Only 2"   mesg instead.

Offline Threeup

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »
DA is what it is.
The MacDonalds of the game. Not the best meal but edible and served quickly.
The squads in DA are like your "Dennis the Menace" types. Nuisances but not Charles Manson with a CH stick. They fly around in little hordes picking, hoarding and landing their Temp kills with a few WTG's between them.
Perhaps the best solution would be to put a similar disclaimer to the TA along the lines of;

"HTC accepts no responsibility and will not, in any event, be liable for the behaviour in the Dueling Arena. Upon entering the pilot accepts and acknowledges that he/she will be picked, ganged, Ho'ed and will never get any form of Check 6 by any other participants.

The pilot further acknowledges that upon entering the DA all rights to accepted Aces High criticism are withdrawn and the pilot may not seek recourse in any forum. Furthermore the pilot will accept that there are others in the DA who will land kills in a pointless fashion to seek fleeting glory."

Then you click a big button with "I Accept" and you are in.

I remember someone telling me there are a few websites where you have to acknowledge in a similar manner in order to see some photos of err, how should I put it  "The Female Natural Form" before you enter. Then if you see a photo of your neighbour and the pool man in a strange wrestling match you can't complain to anyone.

Just a thought.
The Mighty Raw Prawns

"It's all good fun until someone loses an eye" Rooster Cogburn

http://youtu.be/pxM8XB61ZvU