Author Topic: DA; Furball Lake  (Read 2077 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
DA; Furball Lake
« on: June 15, 2009, 01:00:12 AM »
Tonight I got disco'd from the LWA's, worked on a spreadsheet for a bit then, not haveing had a good fight or getting my AH fix cured, decided to log on and go to the DA.

I was expecting to ask if anyone wanted to go one on one on the side but instead jumped into furball lake for only my second time ever.  My first reaction was that this was no different than the LWA's as far as getting ganged, getting jumped, getting picked, etc. as a well known BBs member killed me on my first sortie in a Ki-61 1 vs 3 (soon to be 1 vs 4) with his C-Hog.

I tried a few different things; starting high, starting low, flying to the enemy's field and going one on however many there were.

Finally I went low to the middle of the lake and then everything started to click.  There weren't many Bish on so it was target rich.  By this time I had switched to a Spit V and was having a ball.  Yeah, I got killed a lot but had 2-3 kills on most flights and had some great fun.

I guess I don't really know what the regular complaints are about furball lake.  It is after all, a furball.

There's only two things I really didn't see a point in.  One was guys landing kills.  I just stayed out even after my ammo was gone seeing if I could get someone to auger.  I guess I don't see the point in landing unless...  Why the H*LL are there STATS in the DA?  I clicked on /.score and low and behold there were DA stats!  IMHO this is not at all in the spirit of thte DA and is the stupidest decision HT has ever made... even worse that the blue line experiment.

That said I had fun.  I'll be back and this may severly decrease my time in the MA's but for dear g*d HT get rid of the stats.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: DA; Furball Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:05:09 AM »
There's probably at least 10 DA pilots that would quit the game if they got rid of stats.  That's like $150 bucks!  That money supplies the monthly beer stock.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 01:17:52 AM »
"I guess I don't really know what the regular complaints are about furball lake.  It is after all, a furball."
Because the fun you're having now is tiny compared to what it was then.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:32:26 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:23:37 AM »
I upped in the DA a few days ago.  I didn't have much time, so I thought I'd retest it.

Let's just say that after a few minutes, I found no redeeming quality of the DA Furball Lake.

If you up there and enjoy it...  More power to you.

If I'm going to get ganged, which happens often, I'd rather it happened in the LWA.  At least there, I'm not really expecting a duel like one might in the DA.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:51:52 AM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:51:25 AM »
I like to fly in the DA when there's between 10 - 20 people on, because otherwise like last night I find it frustrating to get ganged by 4/5 people and picked whilst fighting someone 1v1, although i don't care for score..on the very rare occasion I was running low on fuel and was returning to base with 4 kills ( very high for me :D ) I said in public P38 bingo fuel please don't shoot me :D, the spit and something else gave up giving chase...but the damn typhoon chased me half way across the map to shoot me down close to my base..that has made a long standing hatred for all typhoon and tempest planes which are now kill on sight!

but what I do like about the DA is the ability to get in some good fights when the main arenas are not so active
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline jon

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.wildaces.us
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 07:39:08 AM »
the furball area in the da is nothing more than a ho fest everytime i go there and try to anguage a plane .usually it hoes and runs . when you do actually find a good fight it usually ends up with someone cherry picking which i guess is ok being it is a furball area . but i laugh at the hoers and pickers that actually have the courtesy to say good fight after thiking it was actually a "fight"  Try to find someone who will actually duel in the da is very hard.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:30:21 AM »
I tried a few sorties and it was fun, but definitely a meat grinder.  2 v 1, 3 v 1, 4 v 1, and even more ridiculous numbers.  My opinion is that it is fun for a few sorties, but after that the shear numbers of folks pouncing on you can be a drag.  You can never be high enough or fast enough in the Furball Lake!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
it was very amusing to rope 5 planes in my K4 tho  :rofl  :x

Shame I missed every single one of them when I came down guns blazing  :uhoh
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:53:01 AM »
I've been trying to work on evasives and the DA lake is perfect for that.  No shortage of willing volunteers to try and kill a single low con.

And yes, it's full of pickers and gangers but for all of that everyone seems pretty cheerful and respectful and having a good time.  For the most part anyway.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:34:05 PM »
I guess you didn't come across one of the DA squads (however absurd that sounds) which will fly in a somewhat organised horde of 7+ in an assortment of Nik's Chogs Zeros spit16s and look to bounce any lone stragglers or fights.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »
They really love a challenge in there.  :)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 12:49:18 PM »
I guess you didn't come across one of the DA squads (however absurd that sounds) which will fly in a somewhat organised horde of 7+ in an assortment of Nik's Chogs Zeros spit16s and look to bounce any lone stragglers or fights.

The Rowdy Ones? 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
It is a FACT that there are a few DA Squads (MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oops, sorry bout that) and they do horde like a buncha flies on s...old leftovers at the outdoors picnic but they are having fun in their own way. They don't have to "buy" a ride, they can fly anything there is (almost) they can die over and over and not lose anything. They can jump someone with at least 7V1 and maybe, just maybe one of the 7 will be the one to get the kill. They don't have to worry about losing dar, they won't lose their field. The ride to the fight takes about 5-8 minutes. It's immediate gratification, valueless for some, but a great thing for them. They have a continuos influx of noob's to try out their hand at fighting so there are targets galore for the horde.

In other words they are having fun...kinda like a circle j...of friends getting together for a fun filled night of something.

Now, if you wanted to use the DA for what it was intended then there are many fields available to use. But DA lake is horde city, from all sides.

IMHO who cares if they want to think they're accomplishing something and have some silly score? Think *-player arena It has as much value in a real dogfight.

The only thing I'd hate to see happen is we lose folks because they're new and go in there out understanding just what it is only to get frustrated and quit the game. That'd be bad.

What's amazing to me is a few of those guys actually fly in the MA's every once in a while. That might be pure death to them :)

Ren

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »
Relativism
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »
The whole landing bit was brought up in another DA thread.  I'm guilty of landing many times, but it's not for stats, I just like landing...  If that makes sense lol.

When your out of ammo, fuel, life, etc, to me it becomes just a stressful game of dodge the BnZ as long as you can before the inevitable happens.  I'd rather get home, feel happy that my cartoon pilot is still alive, and then up again!  :)  (It's also really fun to try to land with bits and peices missing...)

I do have fun in furball island-- most of the time.  It is a bit obnoxious that people run from a 1v1 in their tempest, even though it's free, but that happens in the MA as well.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D