Author Topic: Good reason to have a conceal and carry permit......  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
Re: Good reason to have a conceal and carry permit......
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »
What is positive about the press?  ;)
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »
What is positive about the press?  ;)

Some of the female reporters are hot. That's all I can think of.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »
I must say I'm unfamiliar with this law. Could you enlighten me since you've studied the topic?

Which law is it you are unfamiliar with? If you are unfamiliar with laws regarding the discharge of firearms, especially the firing of so called "warning shots", then you need to look at your state and local statutes. Each locality will have a particular wording. There's no way I'm going to attempt to quote law, I'm not a lawyer. I can tell you that all of the classes I was required to complete included having local and state attorneys  (prosecutors) come to class and explain to us how various laws apply, and that we could be prosecuted under various state and local statutes for firing a warning shot. This was explained to us both when I was working for the wildlife agency and when I was a sheriff's deputy. It was explained again when I got my permit, and again when my wife got hers.

Since you are so determined to believe that firing a warning shot is legal and acceptable, I suggest you look up your state and local statutes before you find yourself in a situation where you are inclined to do so.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »
^^^ well said, and sound advice-

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »
Turns out he got lucky

He sure did. You go ahead and surrender yourself to the criminals and let them decide if you live or not.   Good luck.     Me, I'll take part in the decision making process.      :aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2009, 05:05:14 PM »
Fair enough Steve, I would probably own some guns if i lived in the states. I just cannot believe all the people here saying they would play Duke Nukem in the streets would not have nightmares for the rest of their lives about the images of their own bullets ripping through childrens faces.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »
Fair enough Steve, I would probably own some guns if i lived in the states. I just cannot believe all the people here saying they would play Duke Nukem in the streets would not have nightmares for the rest of their lives about the images of their own bullets ripping through childrens faces.

I would have images of my family enjoying a good meal. Going on vacations and such. Not my family in caskets. I have no feelings for a criminal at all.

Any places in the US where guns are restricted suffer a higher crime rate. Taking guns from law abiding citizens does not hamper the criminal at all. He gets his guns illegally. All that taking law abiding folks guns does is ensure the criminal is empowered.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline slimmer

• Copper Member
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
dmbear is back  :salute
 :rofl
Member: Hot Soup Mafia -chokin chickin noodle
 Army of Muppets

Offline Apeotomy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
Question for thoose more knowledgeable.

For the shoot to be legal would he have to be engaging those actively pursuing him? Surely shooting indiscriminately into a crowd is not O.K. (Assuming the ones being shoot are not pursuing you as a target.)?

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »

Well these "children" were dangerous attackers. For myself, I think you are right though. It would be an unpleasant and haunting memory, no matter how righteous the shoot.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
Called a LEO friend of mine, and a colleague that has some experience with this sort of case. They say that a warning shot is legal in situations where lethal force is justified. In other words if you can legally shoot someone in self defense you can fire a warning shot (why you would want to is a different issue). "The use of lethal force that can end in homicide is justified in the situation of immediate, otherwise unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm to the innocent." My state has adopted Castle Doctrine statutes, and so has Ohio where the assaulted man in question resides. He was assaulted by a large number of assailants and certainly was in danger of grave bodily harm, possibly even death.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »
I would have images of my family enjoying a good meal. Going on vacations and such. Not my family in caskets. I have no feelings for a criminal at all.

Any places in the US where guns are restricted suffer a higher crime rate. Taking guns from law abiding citizens does not hamper the criminal at all. He gets his guns illegally. All that taking law abiding folks guns does is ensure the criminal is empowered.

I have been of the exact same thinking for many years..  Somehow, certain kinds of people can't seem to understand this..  Their argument is remove guns or restrict them to a degree where all you can do is pretty much shoot once at some small birds and then spend 1/2 an hour reloading the thing..  Ultimately, we all know why certain powers that be(trying to stay a way from anything political) would have a field day with more restrictive gun laws..  But, as my fellow squadie Shuffler says: Criminals aren't going to go to a gun store to obtain their weapons..  So any kind of stricter gun laws will not inherently affect them for a long time..  There's quite a large amount of unregistered firearms out there..  It would take a long long time to gather them all..  A long time..
Until then, the average guy with more than the other guy is going to even more of a target than he already is..

Case in point..  Since hand guns have been made mostly illegal in England (Scotland and Ireland have more lax laws), violent crime incidents have risen steadily, especially burglaries..
This is showing that criminals know the chances of being shot when committing a crime are very low..  Also, crime rate in the UK is higher per capita than the U.S. (again due to hand guns being made illegal for anyone to own unless it had to do with your job which restricts them to police, security or military)..  Also, criminals in need of a gun in England still have very little problems obtaining them..  So, England's strict-arsed gun laws pretty much did the opposite of what they expected..  
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »
Called a LEO friend of mine, and a colleague that has some experience with this sort of case. They say that a warning shot is legal in situations where lethal force is justified. In other words if you can legally shoot someone in self defense you can fire a warning shot (why you would want to is a different issue). "The use of lethal force that can end in homicide is justified in the situation of immediate, otherwise unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm to the innocent." My state has adopted Castle Doctrine statutes, and so has Ohio where the assaulted man in question resides. He was assaulted by a large number of assailants and certainly was in danger of grave bodily harm, possibly even death.

shenanigans

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »

Taking the life of another, for any normal law abiding citizen, is the absolute last resort. Lethal force is the final option, after all others have been exhausted. Rest assured it will change you forever.

When you decide to carry, you first make the decision that you are willing to take the life of another in defense of yours or an innocent. This is not a decision you put off until faced with it. If you cannot make that decision with reasonable certainty, do not carry.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »

Seen the results, seen officers fired and left to the wolves (read: lawyers), and seen people prosecuted. Nothing I've been told or taught by any professional tells me a warning shot is anything close to a good idea in any circumstance. I'll not be firing any warning shots. If you choose to do so, good luck.

SaVaGe