Author Topic: Good reason to have a conceal and carry permit......  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
Re: Good reason to have a conceal and carry permit......
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2009, 03:07:03 PM »
A warning shot would be illegal, and get your weapon confiscated, your permit revoked, and your freedom taken. You cannot fire waring shots. Ever. Firing a shot in the air is a felony in almost every jurisdiction in this country. And you are responsible for that bullet, where ever it goes, and what ever it does. Both in criminal and civil law.

That really depends on where you live. Obviously a warning shot should always be fired into the ground for the reasons you mentioned. In most places in America you are free to fire guns on you own property as long as it doesn't disturb the peace or endanger others (notably your neighbors). He could have fired a warning shot into his lawn, and I think the neighbors would have been understanding.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline akusher

• Zinc Member
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2009, 03:10:26 PM »
These were children...making mistakes. Not 50 taliban with AKs or aliens in Doom 3. You would become the most hated man in the your state. I can see the headlines 'Crazed home owner guns down teenagers in self defence. Is it time to review our gun laws?'

We don't see the word 'crazed' much in our headlines... And taking your theory of self defense to its logical conclusion, nobody would ever be justified in drawing a gun to prevent an attack until they had already been killed by their assailant.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »
That really depends on where you live. Obviously a warning shot should always be fired into the ground for the reasons you mentioned. In most places in America you are free to fire guns on you own property as long as it doesn't disturb the peace or endanger others (notably your neighbors). He could have fired a warning shot into his lawn, and I think the neighbors would have been understanding.

Having been required to study the subject, for a couple of jobs and for my civilian permit, I can tell you that warning shots are a felony just about anywhere I looked, and at least a misdemeanor in the others. Warning shots are also prohibited my most, if not all, law enforcement agencies, most often under penalty of immediate and summary dismissal. In fact, many departments will not even defend you if you fire one.

In most municipalities it is in fact illegal to discharge a weapon, inside the city limits, on your property or not, regardless of how your neighbors feel about it. In rural areas you may fire your weapon on your own property.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »

Nope... this is completely wrong... wrong... never fire a warning shot.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Phantomz

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
Firing a warning shot is bad anyway you look at it. if the attacker has a weapon it allows them the time to get it out and shoot you. :salute
The Flying Circus

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »
where's Rev. Al Sharpton to put his 2 cents in? :rolleyes:
:lol

Maybe David Duke will come out and protest. 

All people that claim they are the singular voice of a race are slime.  The people that put them on a pedestal or follow them are even worse.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »
Having been required to study the subject, for a couple of jobs and for my civilian permit, I can tell you that warning shots are a felony just about anywhere I looked, and at least a misdemeanor in the others. Warning shots are also prohibited my most, if not all, law enforcement agencies, most often under penalty of immediate and summary dismissal. In fact, many departments will not even defend you if you fire one.

In most municipalities it is in fact illegal to discharge a weapon, inside the city limits, on your property or not, regardless of how your neighbors feel about it. In rural areas you may fire your weapon on your own property.

Yes, I did say it depended on where you live, and I didn't get the impression he was in law enforcement or indeed at work in any profession at the time. He was at home with his family and some friends.

Situations that warrant a warning shot are very rare, so I'm not saying firing a warning shot is the smart thing to do. It is not necessary in my opinion; if you need to go beyond brandishing the gun you'd best put the bullet in your opponent. The only exception is against animals of course since they don't understand the threat of a weapon by just looking at it. A pistol bullet might not kill a big animal, but the report might scare it off, and if you are successful you won't have to organize a hunting party to find your wounded moose or whatever.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »
Nope... this is completely wrong... wrong... never fire a warning shot.

It is not legal to fire a gun on your own property in most places in America?

-Gandhi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2009, 03:46:15 PM »
It is not legal to fire a gun on your own property in most places in America?

Not inside the city limits in by far the vast majority of places. Also, outside the city limits in many counties it is illegal to discharge a weapon on your property if you live in a subdivision.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
Not inside the city limits in by far the vast majority of places. Also, outside the city limits in many counties it is illegal to discharge a weapon on your property if you live in a subdivision.

Most of America is definitively outside city limits.

Again... It depends on where you live.

-Gandhi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
Most of America is definitively outside city limits.

Again... It depends on where you live.

And the vast majority of Americans live inside the city limits, or inside a subdivision, either way it is most often illegal to discharge a weapon. If you have close neighbors, this likely fits you.

If you live on a farm, or on a fairly large parcel of land, outside the city limits, it is probably legal for you to discharge a weapon on your property. If that fits you, you probably don't have close neighbors, either.

And most of America is not your property.

In any case, firing a warning shot is still almost certainly at least a misdemeanor, and most likely a felony.

SaVaGe

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »
I must say I'm unfamiliar with this law. Could you enlighten me since you've studied the topic?

-Gandhi

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2009, 04:14:10 PM »
If these gangs are such a menace to society why not do something possitive about it now before you find yourself in a gunfight in your back yard?

There was 50 of them, if they actualy wanted to kill him he would be dead. I still believe that he made the right choice. A very brave, possibly foolish choice by defending his family without a gun to apparently 'ensure' he came to no harm (no matter who else died). Turns out he got lucky and the end result is as good as it could be for him and his family. Well done to him.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2009, 04:16:34 PM »
What is negative about shooting them?

-Gandhi

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
What is negative about shooting them?
The press.....