Author Topic: What plane do want to learn how to fight with?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
What plane do want to learn how to fight with?
« on: September 11, 2009, 04:23:13 AM »
What plane do you not know how to fight with very well, but wish you could learn  how too?

For me it's the P-47. I always hear and see the storys of P-47's taking on German 109's and 190's piloted by Veteran Aces and the fights they have, and I always wonder "How did they do that with such a large heavy plane!?" If you can get an enemy plane in your gunsights on a P-47, then your 8 .50cals will make short work of them, but to get them there takes alot more skill than with any other plane (or that's just my opinion).  :)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: What plane do want to learn how to fight with?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:04:16 AM »
Lighten up Francis

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:11:52 AM »
What plane do you not know how to fight with very well, but wish you could learn  how too?

For me it's the P-47. I always hear and see the storys of P-47's taking on German 109's and 190's piloted by Veteran Aces and the fights they have, and I always wonder "How did they do that with such a large heavy plane!?" If you can get an enemy plane in your gunsights on a P-47, then your 8 .50cals will make short work of them, but to get them there takes alot more skill than with any other plane (or that's just my opinion).  :)

47 is fun, get alot of explosions with the 50s. I want to learn the spit 5 and 38J. 38s are just fast but they are the "Honda" of Aces High, Spit 5 I wanna use as an ubber perk farmer, at a 25 eny it can fight against any plane in late war especially other spits :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:28:52 AM »
The fact is the 56th FG in the ETO had more A to A kills then any P51 squadron in that theater of ops.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:30:14 AM »
Mine would be in the Russian set Yak-9u or the LA5. Both of which are extremely capable aircraft in the right hands. ( just not my hands  :D )

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 07:24:09 AM »
fought off 2 spits and a 51 with an a-20 killed all 3 got three salutes!! but that isn't going to happen again, i like the ta-152 and mossie both have unique capabilities and are deadly if used how the were meant to be used :aok

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »
Yak-9T or 190F-8.

As for the P-47, I do alright in it.  The N is especially effective.  If you're used to winning fights by pointing your lift line at the bandit you'll have trouble with it.  I've often wished there was a 20k ft plateau on one of our maps where the P-47 would be "uber." :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:53:04 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 08:13:09 AM »
Yak-9T or 190F-8.

The Yak 9T is a fun challenge. Very few tater-gun rounds, the 37mm makes the T less nimble than the 9U, but  :eek: when you hit someone with even one of those rounds :eek:....
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:19:29 AM »
 I've often wished there was a 20k ft plateau on one of our maps where the P-47 would be "uber." :)

I aggree,  a map with this feature would allow all of the high alt planes to get into their element.  The old AKpizza map had a large area where the ground was 15k.  I allways liked that about the pizza map.  It allowed the high-alt birds to shine.  Players would be on the deck fighting like usual, but since the deck was higher it made for interesting fights.

Helm ...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
38j
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »

Ya, who doesn't want to learn the P-38 after having their butts handed to them by a SAPP member!? They sure than fly those things!  :eek:

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 08:37:56 AM »
"The fact is the 56th FG in the ETO had more A to A kills then any P51 squadron in that theater of ops."

Absolutely!  :)   Gotta love the jug!

Another fact is that way too many AH players think they're "flying" in a simulated WWII air-
combat environment. Then they wonder why they don't get the results they've always read
about in the historical books.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »
I have been working the Spit 14 of late.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »

For me it's the P-47. I always hear and see the storys of P-47's taking on German 109's and 190's piloted by Veteran Aces and the fights they have, and I always wonder "How did they do that with such a large heavy plane!?"

They fought at high alts, where the P-47 was decidedly faster and had a competitive thrust/weight ratio, they fought as teams, and lets face it, most kills in WWII were a matter of "I flew up behind him, he never saw me, I hosed him down." I also strongly suspect the 109G wasn't the near-Spit it is in AHII, albeit it seems like the 190s weren't the dogs they are here either.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »
BnZ what bothers me  about this game is that 190s were considered by Allied airmen to be superior to 109s.

Also....I remember reading that most LW Pilots thought the 190 better also then the 109.

In here .....a game environment,is totally different then the evironment of WW2 Europe.

Anyone (and this has occured a lot lately)  fighting at 25K or over....(had lightnings at 33K couple nights ago)
not to mention K4s at that altitude.  There were 5 of them against 4 of us in P47Ns.  It really wasn't a contest.
A K4 I drew a bead on....tried to do the K4 nose up routine.....it didn't work.  the N model climbed right up
the K4s six, closing the gap rather quickly I might add and the K4 Pilot was puzzled and questioned how
that could happen.

See!  Aces High can be a history teaching tool!  Up high Jugs rule!

And, coincidently that is where the majority of fights occured and started in the ETO during WWII.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:18:22 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -