Author Topic: Real WWII guys who play  (Read 3844 times)

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Re: Real WWII guys who play
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »
boxman Look at TEX Hills  memorial in 2007 Tex hill was said to be oldest living ace of ww2 for americans double aces.

Offline TEXAS20

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »
boxman Look at TEX Hills  memorial in 2007 Tex hill was said to be oldest living ace of ww2 for americans double aces.

I got to meet and speak with him several times   WOOT   Another class act!
The rules are simple:  Don't be a dick.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »
And he won't be with us forever.  We thought we were losing him after this tour, but he has signed on for at least 6 more month's as he wants to share his next birthday with us and be active in JG11 on that day, for which we are not only thankful, but honored as well.
I'm absolutely honored to fly with him.

And personally, he's such a positive guy. Always young in spirit.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
I would like to ask you a favor Stampf, shoot me a pm when that day is approaching, I would like to fly with you guys on it.

shamus 

Of course.  I know he will enjoy that.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.  This gentleman is truly my favorite person in AH.  Always has a positive attitude.  I enjoy talking to him whenever I see him online. 

Stampf, I would be honored to attend this night as well.  Please PM me.

#S#

Banshee7

Will do.

WOOT   THE BIG  8 - 0        :salute    My favorite person in the game (*cough* besides chappy)!  Nothing but class!

For certain.

Ghost - If we could all live to his age and be known remembered with the words you used, imagine what a place the world could be.  <S>

The only WWII vet that I know of in Aces High was an unwilling combatant and never boasts about it.

Indeed Gmon.  I would love to tell his story.  For I am fortunate to have spent much time with him and know it well, and he has shared photo's and stories of his life with me. But it is not my place to do so, nor has he ever inclined to purpose to want it told.  I have come to love the old man, not for what he did in the past, but for what he brings to the present, and feel like I know him, his wife, and kids like my own.  Such is his personality and sharing of things dear to him.  Truly from another time, getting to know this man has been far and away the most unexpected and outstanding experience here for me.  Nuf said.

Everyone:  Yes, we will do something in April... even if nothing more than an open squad channel so everyone can come by with a well wish.  He may be retiring from AH.  For my part I will go to all ends to keep him among us, but of course will respect his decision. 

Everyone here who knows him, knows well he wants no recognition, no fan fare, or anything of the like kind.

What would make his day more than anything else, would be for just folks stopping by to wish him health, peace, and a happy day.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
I enjoyed every moment of flying with Stampf and the staffel during my JG11 time and I've had the honor to fly alongside one of Aces High's finest players. I don't know him personally but just from his online presence seems to make everything that much more of an experience.

Stampf, I would be honored to be able to fly on that special day as well if that's okay with you.

:salute

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »
I'm absolutely honored to fly with him.

And personally, he's such a positive guy. Always young in spirit.

Could not agree more. Young in spirit but a wise 'ol man he is...  :old:

Truly an honor to fly with the man.

:salute

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »
John "calfes" Bellew flew with me in the Texas Rattlesnakes Fighter Squadron back in Warbirds circa 2001.  We were squad mates for months before I learned he was a vet.  He was a pleasant fellow, but quiet spoken online.

:salute calfes

Stalwart

a.k.a. topjmy
C.O. Texas Rattlesnakes Fighter Squadron
2000-2006
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:00:40 PM by Stalwart »

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »
you look here bud

i was an f-18 pilot in WW2, i owned. so back off  :noid :bolt:

Didnt you kill some Germans when they bombed pearl harbor?
Strokes

Offline AWRaid

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • Semper Fi
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »
 Ive never believed anyones "stories" since Ive been on these games back in the mid 90s. Maybe Ive missed something special..who knows..but I never let anyone blow smoke up my 6.

Played any WW2OL lately?
-Raid

<S> SDShill <S>

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2009, 10:08:18 PM »
There was a guy who flew FR in AW that claimed to be Lefty Gardner's son. Never bought that one, either.

I think Eugene Carson, a tail gunner on a B-17, flew with us for a while in the 327th.

I remember Widewing saying he'd had a couple of real pilots fool with AH, don't know if they ever flew online.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2009, 10:27:59 PM »
I post this photo now and then.  Since we're talking about WW2 vets who play or played in this case.  This is Earl Miller in his P39 Eloise over Tunisia.  He flew AH for a bit after flying AW for a long time.  Fencer was kind enough to skin Earl's 39 for AH so we can fly it now ourselves :)

Earl in front of one of two P38Gs the 345th FS, 350th FG had to try and counter high alt LW recce birds the 39s couldn't get to.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2009, 07:24:15 AM »
I post this photo now and then.  Since we're talking about WW2 vets who play or played in this case.  This is Earl Miller in his P39 Eloise over Tunisia.  He flew AH for a bit after flying AW for a long time.  Fencer was kind enough to skin Earl's 39 for AH so we can fly it now ourselves :)

Do you happen to remember what cpid he flew under in AW?

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2009, 07:56:44 AM »
"Fencer was kind enough to skin Earl's 39 for AH so we can fly it now ourselves"

Was just going to ask.  Thanks!

How is he btw?  I hope well.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »
Honored only begins to say what he brings to the squad.  :salute

Watched him flame a guy last night, and I love when this happens. You will not find a better spirit in this game, or a better singer!  :airplane:  :noid

I think we truly fly our best FSO's when we start the night out with a song from him.     :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »
I only know of two that had experience in WWII and later flew in AW or AH and one of them isn't around anymore.

The other is still around and is in JG11. He is an incredibly humble and respectful guy, so out of respect for his privacy I won't mention his name.

Delirium,
I'd be interested in what one of these veterans thinks of AH's simulation. They could pass it through a 3rd Party like you for annonimity sake. Perhaps it's been posted before, but I have yet to see it. There is a lot of board talk about the flight models etc, all of course from folks that never flew these plane. A real life WWII pilot's insight would be very very informative.

God bless any of those pilots that are still with us today.
Who is John Galt?