Author Topic: CraterMA revisited  (Read 8465 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
CraterMA revisited
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:44:12 AM »
Figured I should start a new thread for my CraterMA terrain project rather than resurrect the old one. I've been working on and off on this MA terrain for about two and a half years now and have just finished redoing all the terrain textures to the latest style.

While I'm bug testing prior to submitting it I thought it would be a good idea to ask this forum for feedback. To that end I have drawn the field numbers, initial country borders and spawn points on the current in-game map shown below. Also if anyone wants to try the terrain offline you can download the files from this link:- CraterMA.zip (4,679kb). Just extract the files to your ahiiterr folder. Note it needs to run for about 45 minutes for all the cloud systems to fully deploy.

To avoid balance issues I've gone for a symmetrical field layout, although each country's clockwise half is not a mirror image of its anti-clockwise half. The bases are at around 2K high near the crater rim dropping to near sea level at the coast. The island airfields are at 1k. There is a high number of bases for a small MA terrain, 33 per side.

The central crater rim is about 15K high. It splits the countries at the centre of the map and acts as a deterrent to planes griefing tank town in the middle of the crater. Three mountain range “spokes” radiate out from the crater and form the initial country borders. These mountains are about 9K high but are split by numerous valleys. You can cross the range between any two adjacent fields without making a major detour and never need to climb to more than 3-4K. A cross-range NOE goon run typically takes less than 10 minutes.

The rivers and lakes are currently just there to add some visual interest. However, if and when HTC clear the bridge objects for MA use I may later incorporate some river crossing GV spawn routes. All the strat objects are within a 20 miles of an uncapturable base, which should make it harder for players to milk run them.

The ground war is centered around V base hubs which in turn spawn to most of the airfields. There are also coastal spawn paths that end at the city, HQ and mainland port. The defending side has spawns from its three uncapturable fields to the V base hubs, so these strategic bases are likely to see a lot of action.

Tank town has four of the tank town industrial zones clustered together and is bordered by lakes to compress the action to a small zone. Each tank town base has several closely spaced spawns which will make camping difficult. All the tank town bases are covered by a permanent low smog which combined with the high crater rim will make it difficult to take out the hangars by air.

Each country has two large islands near the borders with an airbase, a V base and a port on each. With shore batteries on all the island bases and PT spawns in the narrow channels either side these are going to be tough to take by CV and are fairly isolated from mainland airbases. The third central CV can be used to retake an island if necessary.

Some screenshots of the terrain, click to enlarge:-

Tank town, with a TE screenshot showing the spawns:-

Border mountains:-

Rivers, lakes and coastline:-

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:57:56 AM by Greebo »

Offline danny37

• Copper Member
Re: CraterMA revisited
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:49:48 AM »
awesome Greebo :aok

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:01:46 PM »
Thats sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeet! Is that going to be for the MA? :banana:

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »
This looks like it would be very close to if not the most fun map on the game!  :aok
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 02:10:05 PM »
I really like the job done with the Rivers, Lake and Coastlines.

I agree that this will be the funnest map to fly on so far.
Strokes

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »
Neato! Always good to have mountains to fly by!  :aok
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:55:48 PM »
I loved it the last time you dragged it out !!! Will you finish it already ! :neener:

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »
Most excellent Greebs. :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
Hey Greebo, if you put your .awa(weather) file in your CraterMA folder, then build the terrain, the weather system will be built into the terrain(.res).  I didn't know if you knew that or not so I thought I would say something.  You will have to do this if/when you submit your final .res.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 04:57:33 AM »
Thanks guys, glad you like it.

I'll probably delay submitting it until we get the new city strat in the next version, otherwise I'd only have to resubmit it again. As I understand the new strat I'll have to remove all the current strat factories as they are part of the new megacity. I'll probably put the new cities in the centre of the uncapturable field triangles. That will mean clearing hills, redirecting local rivers to link up to the new city rivers, rethinking the spawns to the city, redoing the arena map and so on.

Another thing that I noticed looking at the screenshots of the new city is the new bridges there. As there will have to be a new version of the TE to handle the new city, maybe we will get these bridges as a stand alone item as well. If so I have some ideas for spawn routes with river crossings.

For some reason I thought the awa file was a stand alone item like the plane/vehicle allocation files. Thanks for telling me Ranger, I'll sort that out.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 06:15:41 PM »
There better be some easter eggs hidden on those unused corner lands... :noid

Otherwise, I certainly like the looks of it. :p
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 05:38:25 PM »
Awesome! Love the presentation btw!!!

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 10:57:19 PM »
Wow, that's astonishing. Looks very good.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
It looks like it would be a fun map to do some high alt bombing on, thanks Greebo!
Strokes

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 11:13:25 PM »
Awesome  :banana:  :aok :aok :aok :aok

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:59:25 PM by ebfd11 »
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail