Author Topic: A new era of tank towning?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
A new era of tank towning?
« on: December 06, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »
GuyNoir, No I do not see GV play in the complex, simply because of the milking of strat targets the GV's could do.

But using the same objects there could be other cities added with no strategic value for GV's to play in.

HiTech

This is something I put together in about 15 minutes:

I am planning on putting out at least 2 MA terrains in 2010.  I want one of them to have a kick bellybutton tanktown.  I need ideas/opinions from the community of what would make it the best TT we've had to date.  Just remember, MA terrains cannot contain custom stuff, only default objects, but they can be arranged in ways to produce different setups.  So what makes a great tanktown of the future?  One big "city" or many small towns with gaps in-between?  Rivers or no?  No buildings at all & just trees and hills?  Give me your ideas, just remember how strict the MA terrains guidelines are (boring but necessary for stability).  What does the ultimate tanktown look like to you?

Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
Re: A new era of tank towning?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »
3 rivers that divide the playing field that all run together in a pie shape city. Each country has each own part of pie in TT with multiple bridge crossings. Farther out from the city a more crossings but placed farther out from the city with many surrounding hills that could be used as a defensive posts. These outer crossings could be used to flank the enemy in the city. The other version is the same as the first but TT has 3 pie pieces for each country with an island in the middle that could be used as the center of the battle field for complete control of the city with only 1 bridge going in and out of the island from each countries side.

Map Key
Green - Of course the land
Brown - Represent Hills
Blue - duh water
Gray - City Limits
Yellow Line - GV wavepoint
Black Line - Represent Bridges
Black outer circle with inner light green - VH base

TT-1

TT-2
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:59:16 PM by VooWho »
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
I think if it is possible, have spawns into the center, but the tanks have 3 bridges around their own spawn to enter the city. The city is one big town, smaller than our 8sq mi ones, maybe 1 sq mi.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »
Maybe try to force the fight into the town. Also try to make it where there are no spawn campers. just thinking out loud
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »
3 rivers that divide the playing field that all run together in a pie shape city. Each country has each own part of pie in TT with multiple bridge crossings. Farther out from the city a more crossings but placed farther out from the city with many surrounding hills that could be used as a defensive posts. These outer crossings could be used to flank the enemy in the city. The other version is the same as the first but TT has 3 pie pieces for each country with an island in the middle that could be used as the center of the battle field for complete control of the city with only 1 bridge going in and out of the island from each countries side.

Map Key
Green - Of course the land
Brown - Represent Hills
Blue - duh water
Gray - City Limits
Yellow Line - GV wavepoint
Black Line - Represent Bridges
Black outer circle with inner light green - VH base

TT-1
(Image removed from quote.)

TT-2
(Image removed from quote.)

I like the 2nd idea  :aok
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:48:51 PM »
   Great ideas so far!  I'll wait for a few more posts & then build a downloadable demo model.  There is one problem (potentially).  See those bridges I have in the picture?  There is a bug in the game that if a PT boat goes underneath one, it kills the PT's engines.  It's a bug that has been around forever but has never been fixed.  Hopefully the new bridges that come with our new city objects won't have this bug.  If they do then there could be no PTs in the river, but I would love to be able to add that in to the mix.
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:50:19 PM »
I love #2, VooWho. Though I'd havee to say remove the two farthest bridges behind the spawns, might encourage campers to sneak around.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »
   Great ideas so far!  I'll wait for a few more posts & then build a downloadable demo model.  There is one problem (potentially).  See those bridges I have in the picture?  There is a bug in the game that if a PT boat goes underneath one, it kills the PT's engines.  It's a bug that has been around forever but has never been fixed.  Hopefully the new bridges that come with our new city objects won't have this bug.  If they do then there could be no PTs in the river, but I would love to be able to add that in to the mix.
I don't think you can even fit PT's under the new bridges, I think someone tried...that would be really neat though, they could be used as scouts or something.

FlyKommando.com

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
How about surrounding it with 30k' Mountains...

Good luck with your effort, it looks like you have some good ideas to work with here!
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 05:54:30 PM »
I liked the original tank town, I thought that was perfect i dont remember what tour it was in, near impossible to make it into the town alive. i think like 80% of all the people in the map fought there.
OEF 11-12

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »
I would like to find a way to include the PTs, as it would make bridge crossings more "interesting".
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 06:05:29 PM »
Ranger, that looks great!!

I think all three TT bases should be uncappable (assuming HTC allows it), and perhaps located in the city, or at least right on the outskirts (or have all the spawns lead into the city).

Also, I'd be HUGELY in favour of a TT that consisted of a central city, with each base directly on the rim of that city.  Then have objects arranged around that base so that ALL GVs would be forced to do literally street-to-street fighting.

By doing that, teamwork would become essential, and the gameplay would be ultra-intense!

EDIT:
Maybe try to force the fight into the town. Also try to make it where there are no spawn campers. just thinking out loud

This sounds brilliant.  Perhaps have the spawns at dead-end streets, where spawn campers would have to camp out in front of spawning tanks, and thus wouldn't last too long ;).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:07:51 PM by Yossarian »
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 06:06:35 PM »
I would like to find a way to include the PTs, as it would make bridge crossings more "interesting".
Oh yeah, I'd definitely like to see PT's...hopefully HTC can re-design the bridges to fit PT's.

FlyKommando.com

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »
Spawn points are about 3/4 of a mile in diameter, so spawning onto a certain street, or PTs directly into the river isn't really workable.  They would need an open area nearby.
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 06:19:46 PM »
Spawn points are about 3/4 of a mile in diameter, so spawning onto a certain street, or PTs directly into the river isn't really workable.  They would need an open area nearby.

Oh...is there any way you could 'encourage' players to follow a certain route into the city?  Perhaps make a 'corridor' out of cliffs which funnel GVs to the city?
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ