Author Topic: World War Tuesday  (Read 1846 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
World War Tuesday
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »
I would like to see an axis v allies set up in the main arena once per week. Sort of like an ava titanic tuesday, with all main theaters represented on one map.

A central area representing Germany and the occupied territories, a large Island to the west of that representing the allied presence in the UK. To the north, an allied area representing Russia. To the east, an area representing the Japanese home land with island bases leading to an area representing Hawaii as a staging area for the Pacific fleet.

Of course, you would have to fudge distances, etc to make it playable

Enable only roughly appropriate planes and vehicles in the respective areas.

Only the center most, (maybe uncapturable) bases of your areas would have the newest rides enabled, but as you pushed further into enemy territory they would become progressively enabled at those bases too.

That would kind of simulate the timeline of the war and force you to capture some pacific islands before you could run heavy bombing raids into the Japanese homeland, for example.

You could still fly any plane you wanted but you'd pay a price by only being able to fly from certain areas and bases.

By the time you were striking the enemy heart, you could be bringing your newest rides against their's.

Yeah, you'd be giving players only one choice of main arena play, but it would be just one day a week.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: World War Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
yes i will like to horde gang axis rides very much.

+1 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:13:29 AM »
If people want to fly AvA once a week they can already do that. What is different about your idea that would be worth forcing people to do something they aren't choosing to do?

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 12:17:51 PM »
Sounds like putting up with Titanic Tuesday.....Why should it be any different for an AvA setup? Some people hate flying with that setup but have to put up with it. I would love to see Titanic Tuesday up again the other arena with LW AvA.

LWB AvA vs LWO TT?

Strip

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
Sounds like putting up with Titanic Tuesday.....Why should it be any different for an AvA setup? Some people hate flying with that setup but have to put up with it. I would love to see Titanic Tuesday up again the other arena with LW AvA.

LWB AvA vs LWO TT?

Strip

Why should it be any different for an AvA setup?

1. TT does not change the rules of the game, only the quantity of players.
2. People do not have the choice to play TT any other day of the week, but they do have the choice of playing AVA.

HiTech

Offline TEXICAN

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »
+1
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck!

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 02:03:32 PM »
If people want to fly AvA once a week they can already do that. What is different about your idea that would be worth forcing people to do something they aren't choosing to do?
They are not choosing to, because few are in there. People get used to everyone being in one place and it self perpetuates.

This would be just one day to shake things up a bit and get folks into playing a historical type of game.

2. People do not have the choice to play TT any other day of the week, but they do have the choice of playing AVA.

HiTech

This is true, but if it could be done similar to the way I described, it would not be a typical set-up, and could have some historically based type of strategy involved.

With all the rants against TT that I read every week, this would have a further objective than just getting everyone into one arena, and would give everyone a chance to fly a more semi-historically based game with a lot of players.

Oh well, it's really just another of my personal wishes for more historical type game play, because I can rarely attend any of the special events.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:05:43 PM by jimson »

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »
1. TT does not change the rules of the game, only the quantity of players.

HiTech

Do I have to the choice to not play in Titanic Tuesday if I wish to fly LW?

They affect different things true, but the idea is similar.

Strip

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 03:02:50 PM »
They are not choosing to, because few are in there.

This is  completely false. The arena does not gain a large following simply because people prefer the LW.

They affect different things true, but the idea is similar.

The idea is not similar in any way.

The AvA idea is only an idea to force people to play the game you want to play.

TT does NOT, repeat NOT change the game. It only changes the cap on the arena. In fact if it was not for the milk runners I would leave a 2nd LW open. But most people would still all be in 1 arena.

HiTech

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
haha rofl!

HTC is against the milk runners. /cheer :D

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »
I respectfully disagree...on both accounts.

AvA suffers from lack of success, thats at least some of the problem, who wants to fly in an empty arena?

Strip

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49:10 PM »
I respectfully disagree...on both accounts.

AvA suffers from lack of success, thats at least some of the problem, who wants to fly in an empty arena?

Strip

Hmm I have been hearing that exact statement for over 15 years. In fact some one once tried to force people into an AvA arena, it was the beginning of the end for the entire game.

HiTech

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
It is most often the numbers and the action that draws people. Then only if there is a choice between 2 action filled arenas, will they consider the setup or the map. And of course a smaller map with 200 players usually offers more action that a large map with 200 players :)

It is never simple.... but the main thing is that we have this game  :aok

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 04:41:33 PM »
This might be a good time to mention you have a great game here and I'm sure you know best how to run it, but this is a wishlist.

The AvA idea is only an idea to force people to play the game you want to play.
HiTech

Lol, I guess that's true.

You need to satisfy the majority, and if the current set-up is the way people want it, it should be. Right now I'm pretty much forced to play in the all sides enabled, historically incorrect arenas, simply because that's what's available.

I'm still here.

Here's a question for everyone.

When you first heard of AH or any other WW2 air combat game, did you envision Spits vs Spits and Mustangs vs Mustangs?

No you didn't, Walter Mitty.

You were thinking Spits vs Messerschmidts and Hellcats vs Zero's.

So if the game has evolved to where the former is the most popular, then that's the way it should stay most of the time, but I doubt if it would spell the beginning of the end, if just one day a week, people had to try the latter.

Might become a pretty popular day.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:52:02 PM by jimson »

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
      • http://promoteitright.com/Site/82nd/
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 05:21:27 PM »
I think that the FSO satisfies people's need to get historical and immerse themselves in the way the OP is describing. I like the idea of having people use the Axis vs. Allies arena more often, but I can't imagine gameplay being anywhere near as civilized in the AvA as it is in FSO.
This is a test