Author Topic: P38 Gear Extension Speed  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: P38 Gear Extension Speed
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
See Rule #2

I went from AW to AH.  Our Squad looked at WB and back when AH1 went to AH2 we decided it was not for us.  I have no idea what WB is like from a players point of view. But now back on track, If you look at my original post I was asking a question about the gear limit, based on the POH.  I had no idea that the stress sound that you hear at 175MPH was not directly related to stress damage on the aircraft. That it only sounded as a warning.  It would be nice if from the gear extention limit of 175 MPH down you received a buffet sound rather then the Stress sound and the stress sound only being heard above 175 - 200 with the gear failing as it does now above 200.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:18:19 PM by Skuzzy »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 01:19:22 PM »

You assumption that I want to lower my gear at a higher speed to use it as a speed break is wrong. I am not asking to be able to extend the gear at speeds above 175MPH.   I want to lower the Gear at 175MPH as prescribed in the USAAF Pilot Manual for the P38 as the recommended speed at which to lower the gear.

You can lower your gear in a P-38 at 175mph IAS.  The stressing sounds you hear is just an audible clue that you're getting in the upper speed ranges for the landing gear.  The reason for this audio clue is a concession for the platform we play on since we don't get any 'tactile' feel.  It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with how the gears are deployed or modeled in game.  You're just grasping at straws now.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 01:58:13 PM »
You can lower your gear in a P-38 at 175mph IAS.  The stressing sounds you hear is just an audible clue that you're getting in the upper speed ranges for the landing gear.  The reason for this audio clue is a concession for the platform we play on since we don't get any 'tactile' feel.  It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with how the gears are deployed or modeled in game.  You're just grasping at straws now.

ack-ack

I understand now that the Sound associated with stress on the airframe was only a warning.  It was my misunderstanding that when I heard that sound  the aircraft was actually accumulating stress and at some point that accumulated stress would cause a failure. I understand now that the stress sound is only a warning as far as gear is concerned.

What I should have asked for is an alternate sound or a change to a combination of sounds so that 150 to 175 is more like a slow speed buffet and 175 and above is just the stress sound.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:00:23 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes