Author Topic: Ever get that oh **** feeling when merging or engaging?  (Read 4250 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Ever get that oh **** feeling when merging or engaging?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »
   Whenever a "top Stick" is reported to be in the fight, I always make him my focus.  He's the one I'm seeking out.  Don't know if it's bravado or what, just my way.  I enjot the patience in the fight that these "top sticks" have and as a result start using it myself.  I think my last one was with kappa & his buddy in 262s.  He shot down 8-10 of my countrymen (all the green is sight) before I got there.  I got up there and round & round we went & I got him smoking so he had to rtb.  A satisfying fight for both.  He still got to land all his scalps & I got to stop him from getting more.  To me that was a victory (he really was killing everyone in sight!).

:salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »
I can usually tell just by the initial merge what the other pilot is going to fight or flight. It's usually a HO from the timid one's or it's a merge.  I always treat everyone like their one of the best in the game which always helps that way you can always be ready for a fight.

<S>
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 03:36:10 PM »
I can tell before the merge if they are gonna be a good fight or not, I don't consider a guy that just comes in and face shoots and me avoiding, a good fight no matter how long it takes me to send him to tower, it's just boring,   A good Dog Fight is much like an elaborate dance and when you get into one there is no better feeling win or loose, well maybe one better feeling in here anyways, and that is killing red guys when the sky is full of red guys and there is no green anywhere, and eventually you got too many to count all trying to kill ya, that, is the tops for me, that's what gets my blood pumping.

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 12:27:46 AM »
Im bombing base at sea level in 234 from 20k, and a 190 takes of from target base and climbs verticly to me, then manages to keep up with my 234, which I am running at top level speed
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 12:45:18 AM »
Im bombing base at sea level in 234 from 20k, and a 190 takes of from target base and climbs verticly to me, then manages to keep up with my 234, which I am running at top level speed
What does this have to do with the subject of this thread?
Lighten up Francis

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 12:48:27 AM »
One good fight a night can keep me going for a long time.  Even if it means fighting the mob a lot.   Last time I had a chance to fly, I had three or four good fights in the midst of the mob.  Usually the same guys in the same planes that also are looking for a decent twisting and turning brawl.  

What's even funnier is when you are bending the stick against one guy and others from both sides are trying to interrupt and they keep missing because they can't follow the fight cause they don't know how to.

As for getting that "oh #$#" feeling.  Never.  It's always a good feeling even if I know the other guy is getting the edge in a fight, that at least I found someone who also wanted to turn and burn :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »
Always still go for it, after all that's what the game is all about, combat. I will admit tho that if I think after the first merge it might be one of "those guys" I am a bit more cautious about what kind of shot I give them  :D

+1  :aok

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
  The best fights are when you can get someone 1 v 1. I will drag a group of cons out to allow the dweebs to break off. Then you can have a decent fight. You can see someones skill level on how they approach you. When you see that pilot that's lobbing shots at 1.5 out it's a sign they are inexperienced.
  I think the level of competition has increased in this game. Playing the best only makes you better.  :airplane:

Trying  to improve my flying by doing a precise rolling scissors, not easy.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 11:53:30 AM »
I  fall for their was all the time..doesn't stop me though...try try and try again...one day they will be to drunk, tired, get a phone call or ack and i'll get em...till then though it's....tunnel vision  hahaha

Offline BushLT1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 10:12:07 PM »
I never get that feeling when merging....just when I'm in tower. Going how did I get here so fast. Lots of great sticks in game To many to list <S> for those like a fight.  :airplane:

BushLT <S>

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »
A good Dog Fight is much like an elaborate dance and when you get into one there is no better feeling win or loose

I really wish I would have thought to say this when I was asked to define what a fight should be during an argument the other night.

A certain timid P51 pilot, who I shall not name because of the BBS rules, was flying around at 20k while I was at 12kish. I'm thinking to myself, maybe if I climb up to him he'll decide to fight. Nope, was completely wrong, he would make a pass extend to 3k and repeat. After about 5 minutes I call out I'm RTB this is a waste of time, it is then he decides to follow me down and shoot me.

After I call him out on his timid flying, he responds with you asked for a fight and you got it. After an argument about how that was not a fight, Wmaker asked me to define what a fight is. I responded with, A fight is when two opponents are pitted together until one is the victor not when one sits on a perch and attacks when he feels like it.

It's like a boxing match, you watch one to see two people slug it out. You never watch a match to see one person back stepping around the ring so he doesn't get hit and throw a punch in every 30 seconds.
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 10:49:47 PM »
If you die in the air fellas, the 1st person you should point the finger at is YOURSELF.

this is absolutely the truth....... for the most part, things are so far removed from how they used to be.you see 1 vs 1 or  1 vs 2 ( or 3 ) fighting and you'd ask " you need help" or "you ok" and either help or stay out and cover the higher ground only engaging when asked....

to day it is all "Me Me Me Me ME and Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine" so you have a 1 vs 1 and then you end up in a 5 thru 10 vs 1, because of the Me and Mine mentality

I dont whine when I accept an obviouse HO attempt from a K4, or 110, why do you think its ok to?

with in the TOS rules of online play, it is ok for anyone to do anything they want to do, the only up or down to that is the impression you leave on everyone else

I don't necessarily whine about it, it is what it is......but when I witness 9 to 12 members of the same squadron ( one that has been here since almost the beginning of AH ), and everyone of them merge-ing with guns blazing from 1,000 to 800 out, every single time you engage them and sometimes 3 or 4 at a time vs 1... you can bet your arse I will absolutely give them grief about it......

even if they do respond with "you bet I will take a face shot at a Neg E F4U coming over the top and nosing down at me"

it just shows you it is more of a "points / win the war/map game thing" to some than it is about the " dogfight" to others.....

long as everyone is having fun, go for it..... just will not get no respect from me for being a "non-fighting chicken twit"

* even if I do keep going back to the same area, thinking it's going to be any different, ROFL.......

as for knowing if it is going to be a good fight or not, or knowing who you are up against before the fight...... you play/cartoon fly long enough and you will figure it out...... I can most times spot who I am up against by the end of the 1st merge, if it is someone who has gave me good fights before..  I can even tell them "Nice Shot ~so-n-so~" before I ever get the you were shotdown by message.........

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 03:24:13 AM »
with in the TOS rules of online play, it is ok for anyone to do anything they want to do, the only up or down to that is the impression you leave on everyone else

This is very true. Although what I see too many times is that new guys think that just because they put you in the tower, that it's a good thing.

I got a <S> the other day from some guy I haven't heard from after being chased by 6 others and he just managed to get the killshot. I sent a <S> right after followed by a PM of "well don't know why, but I guess".  I think that hit home with him, because I was expecting the classic "shut up and stop whining" attitude you generally get in the MA, but he did feel badly about it. Turned out he got whacked as most of the 6 guys chasing me, loosing alt, E and tunnel vision for chasing a lone con. He learned to keep it in mind in the future and really turned out as a positive experience.

I guess its easy to get caught up in all the MA bs. I can say through this experience that its not all what you think it is. Some people just don't know and some just dont care.

****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 07:26:36 AM »
you cant learn anything if you run, or ack-hug, so generally, i will engage anyone that comes after me. i might lose, which most of the time i do, but thats the fun behind it. yes i'd like to be the one giving out the beatings, but someday ill get better.

i think some people forget that if you get in the tower, you get a shiny new plane. score and k/d mean nothing to me, id rather have a good dogfight and die, than run and get vulched trying to land!

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »

:huh
-AoM-