Author Topic: How do old time players feel...  (Read 2671 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: How do old time players feel...
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
about the direction the game is going?  Am I the only old time player that misses the single arena, the fighter town? How about the massive 50+ player missions, and the amazing maps with no arena cap?  Personally I thought the game was 100x better seven years ago when I first started.

-BigBOBCH

Is this is a poorly veiled whine for a single no cap arena.

If you remember correctly, about 7 years ago ...

I believe that 200-250 players was the max that the arena saw and even then it was surprising to see 200 people online.

The arena and each country was run by squads that were loyal to that country and would ALWAYS take on the opposing squad(s) head-on ... like MAW vs AKs ... epic battles. Never did these squads try for a base and if encountering opposition ... move to another area on the map with no opposition.

Score was not a big deal ... the 1st tournament that HTC held to determine a "Top Gun" was the day this game changed dramatically is ways that most will never know.

Yes it was fun back then, and for me, it's still fun ... If you know how to adapt.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
I love eny and caps. Nothing makes me happier then logging on to find I have to fight 262s and Tempests with a P40  :x

I can't switch sides because my squad won't go with me  :x

We can't go the the other arena because there's 250 in there with a cap of 100 :x

Brilliant HTC!!! I've never been happier.  :x

Now I understand why the pics on the home page are WW1 planes and GVs.  :rock
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:11:40 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »
 :rofl
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »
I would like HTC to move the time they put the cap on arena to 10pm GMT,  5pm EST 3pm West coast.  I think the caps are necessary but it does suck for European players not being able to get into the action arena / squaddies.  

I appreciate that HTC want to do it at the 'critical mass'  of players logging in too fill up both arenas but would it not be much quicker to do it slightly later in the day.   say  300/400    then snaps to   200/200 ,  100/200  and go from there....

I agree, I would really like to see HiTech change the time which caps are implemented raised.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
Who says you have to be an old timer to hate ENY and caps?  :D
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
Pretty simple from my viewpoint....there is nothing better out there for air combat. Doesn't matter what I like or dislike, until something better comes along I am here. This is such a small niche market, I doubt you will see any rush to develop something else by other companies.

I have not agreed with some things HTC has done for sure. But I am not trying to make a living with this game either.  :airplane:

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »

every time I see something like a hoard who has suddenly realized they've ransacked a base and forgotten they need a goon or an armchair general that spews Channel 2 with woe, misery, and insults because we aren't fighting his war, I sink a bit further.

:airplane: That is funny or flying two sectors with a goon and realizing you have supplies.:) The whiners and insult spewers say more about those people than the people they are spewing against. I WOULD like to see xcountry
vox disabled, there are some really sick people that play this game and when they start threatening my wife and family through PMs because the got bombed it is sad.
As far as the people that think the game is sinking I really don't find that to be so. I still see and hear the same old whines that were here in 2004. And BTW the people that think AW was so superior IMO it really sucks
the way it is laid out. If it was so great why is it about dead. I know I could not wait to leave.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline ap1102

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »
Hey Bigbob try the Swoops missions on Tuesdays for 50 plus player missions. Sometimes we get close to that number. Rook side usually starting 730PM central.

EZRhino

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 02:46:35 PM »
I've seen a great increase in the amount of 1v10s or 10v1s in the game lately which is disappointing.
To go along with this, seems like more and more people just dont want to learn good ACM which I believe leads to more of what Del said.

Path of least resistence.......is the killer of a good fight
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 02:50:53 PM »
AvA has been offering nice fights lately. Icons are off so the fights are usually up close and personal.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
Path of least resistence.......is the killer of a good fight

And the road to hell is paved with good intentions, which just means you can't judge a book by its cover, or lead a horse to water, but ....

wait, you mean we weren't speaking in pointless old euphamisms?

Your vague generalization is not accurate. Definitely there is a path of least resistance, and some choose to follow it. No resistance = no challenge, and when something stops being challenging it's no longer fun. The ones you fear will not stick around long and will move on to other games.

For all the griping and whining in this game, you folks sure have short memories. Either that or you've been here too briefly to truly know what the heck you're griping about.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 02:57:02 PM »
The community has changed more than the game has from this old-timers point of view, what changed to the game structure have occurred I think were for the better. I don't have a problem with arena caps, except on Tuesdays.  Fighter town was amazing for the first few days it was around, after that it created so much gnashing of the teeth and split the community more than few other things have before or since.  

Do I yearn for the glorious time of yesterday?  Of course I do, over the years I've built up a lot of fond memories and had a lot of good times.  But I also remember the times when I was so frustrated that I wanted to chuck my monitor out the window because so and so was hording or this person wouldn't fight.  

I don't think things have changed quite as much as it seems at times and if I can find just one good fight that will keep me happy for awhile and keep me coming back for more.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline SpinMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »
Again, another "necessary evil". Most of the maps are still there. One or two are out due to technical problems, and a couple due to them causing troubl in the arenas by either having a FT or just not being an even playfield. Good news is the hills are coming back so tanking may pick up a bit, mean while the sky is still blue and my planes still fly well  Big Grin  Arena caps, well thats been gone over a million times. I see the need for bringing the population up evenly ( I know I'd be real pizzed if I logged on each night to see orange full at 500 and blue at 75)and personally I can't think of a better way to do it myself.

Thats my point, if you see this then imho thats the community voting for what they want with their feet!  Whats the purpose of having an arena cap?  I dont like being herded whilst im paying for a service.  I see this as a reasonably simple fix.  Im sure there are reasons for HTC for having things the way they are but no other gaming community ive been apart of before has ever had a floating cap dictating where you can and cannot fly. 

No online WWII flight sim community is going to be without we can but hope HTC listens to these minor gripes and make changes, as said this seems to be a simple fix, id like to hear from them what their take on this is, or even if they care. 

AH is the best thing out there atm for doing what it does, it grew from the shoulders of some fantastic communities.  I hope HTC listens to the community, they'd be crazy not to :lol

Otto Ghecko Salamander SpinMan
Anyone can defend themselves....Only the BEST can defend the bombers!
Otto-Ghecko-Salamander-SpinMan

<<<Anyone Can Defend Themselves!  Only The Best Can Defend The Bombers>>>

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
Thats my point, if you see this then imho thats the community voting for what they want with their feet!  Whats the purpose of having an arena cap?  I dont like being herded whilst im paying for a service.  I see this as a reasonably simple fix.  Im sure there are reasons for HTC for having things the way they are but no other gaming community ive been apart of before has ever had a floating cap dictating where you can and cannot fly. 

No online WWII flight sim community is going to be without we can but hope HTC listens to these minor gripes and make changes, as said this seems to be a simple fix, id like to hear from them what their take on this is, or even if they care. 

AH is the best thing out there atm for doing what it does, it grew from the shoulders of some fantastic communities.  I hope HTC listens to the community, they'd be crazy not to :lol

Otto Ghecko Salamander SpinMan
Anyone can defend themselves....Only the BEST can defend the bombers!

Do a search, HTC have explained the arena caps on several different occasions.  The quick dirty version was the game had stopped growing, after the caps were put in place it started again.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »
I do not like the CAP system.  I came to AH from AWIII.  Would like to see AH set one LW arena with no cap and two LW arenas with the current cap system.  Let the community play where they want.  The reason given by AH for the cap system was because the large numbers in the MA were preventing new players from becoming paid subscribers.  AH should allow paid subscribers to play in any arena as they do now, but limit the non-subscribers to only access the caped arenas.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes