Author Topic: Why does this community........  (Read 7444 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: Why does this community........
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2010, 06:47:58 AM »
The first time I tried AH was during the AH versus Warbirds Duel and it did seem an easier flight model than the one Warbirds had at the time. Not necessarily better, just easier. Neither was very accurate. The biggest difference back then was gunnery in Aces High was very easy, so easy that it forced different tactics.

In the intervening years Warbirds severely screwed up its flight model. Part of that involved a character HiTech ran off from here. He was an incompetent boob with the ability to post lots of graphs and charts. He didn't pass the smell test and Dan ran him off but Warbirds believed he was legit, unfortunately. Warbirds implemented a Coefficient of Lift change that royally screwed with the FM and my entire squadron left and came over to Aces High.

Unfortunately, there are very few of the guys left for a lot of different reasons. Mostly we are just getting old I think and playing with kids just isn't as fun as it might look.

Aces High has a good flight model, better than Warbirds probably although since I haven't flown Warbirds in years I can't know for sure. Gunnery is still too easy, too much of a straight line and it changes the dynamic of the fight considerably but I'm not sure if that is the icon or the gunnery physics.

I say that because the no icon fights in the AvA are an entirely different type and seem to negate the guns to some extent.
this gunnery thing in my opinion has alot to do with plane speed and yes the icon makes it much easier to find and hit targets. In my opinion only though
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2010, 07:08:49 AM »
He was an incompetent boob with the ability to post lots of graphs and charts.

:uhoh :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
Look in a mirror.

HiTech

Thank you for your insight and adding to this conversation.

On a different note it does seem to me that to be part of this community one does have to have a thicker skin. And I do agree I would rather be here with people who are competitive and sometimes fly off the handle then somewhere where everyone is on there best behavior.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2010, 09:45:18 AM »
Krusty wrote.

Hitech wanted to code a force-based flight sim. He was told no, we'll do it this way. So sure was Hitech that he could build a better sim that he started his own company. He got it up and running and it was a worthy game to play. Folks flocked to it. It wasn't vapor ware. It wasn't freeware that never gets updated. It wasn't many things that other little upstart games tried to be. It was an actual game! Folks liked it. In fact, many folks left WB to come to AH. There are many other reasons (folks get snubbed on both sides, hold grudges, and smear the other side on their respective forums) but IMO the root was taking customers away from Wild Bill. Without AH, folks would have just moved on to something else. It just happens AH was the thing they moved on to, hence we get the evil eye.

Krusty this is not even close to the history.

1. I played Air Warrior (was a +100 hrs a month junky)
2. I started playing with flight model physics and graphic programing (HTSIM).
3. I created in Confirmed Kill at night in 94 early 95. Had 2 partners in the business Killer (John  McQueen) and Gunjam (Robert Salinas)
4. We went live with Confirmed kill in May 95.
5. August 95 renamed CK to Warbirds.
6 3 years later we merged with iMagic (I.E. Wild Bill) and I lost control of WB.
7. By late 98 Bill was totally messing up the long term viability of the old company for many reasons (stock went from $14 to less then 1 cent).
8. I left and began work at home on AH.

HiTech

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2010, 10:06:01 AM »
Warbirds was a great sim back when it was cutting edge, but IEN completetely ****** it up in record time. We are so lucky to have AH  :cheers:
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
Were like eagles fans imo, loyal but one crazy,rowdy bunch.

:rock
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2010, 11:43:50 AM »

6 3 years later we merged with iMagic (I.E. Wild Bill) and I lost control of WB.

HiTech

My takeaway, or, "what I learned today, Mom"...

If I'm ever the founder of a small, edgy company, never partner with some guy who styles himself as "Wild Bill". It's a prescription for loss of control.

Corollary: People who call themselves by names that start with the handle "wild" have a way of getting out of hand.

Man, I'd've loved to have been a fly on the scheissehaus wall for those meetings. I still subscribe to WB and used to fly it years ago. I still haven't cancelled so I get "Wild Bill's" emails. It seems like he's looking to cultivate a bit of a Cap'n Outrageous image, like the kind of guy who gets drunk, then leads the conga line into a bathroom where he cuts loose - to everyone's horror.

No, sorry, that was Buster Poindexter - and he didn't use a bathroom.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:50:38 AM by PJ_Godzilla »
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »
With the recent advent of the closing of Fighter Ace I've been trolling both the Fighter Ace and Warbirds forums.

While Skuzzy is on a major campaign to recruit Fighter Ace players, which seems to be working (while the AH FA forum has numerous posts from FA converts, the WB FA forum has one... one!), most of the comments regarding Aces High on those forums seem positive with a few exceptions.  

While reading the WB forums AH seems to be largely a non-issue other than Thorism bashing HT, Skuzzy, AH and the entire AH community.  I guess losing his "the 190's need to be changed" hijack in the Aircraft and Vehicle forum (http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,286128.0.html) was just too much for him to take.  It's funny how he didn't post a link to that thread while attempting to point out how vile our community is.  It would have revealed what his real intention for AH bashing was.

To each their own.

I feel for the FA community.  I've been through it with the transition from AW to AWII to AW3 and then here.  Each time I lost squad mates and friends.

Frankly, while we do have our family arguments I feel like the AH community has been very accepting and welcoming of players from other flight sims.  As far as community overall goes it can't be beat.  When I posted recently that I'd been out of work for a year and would have to give up my subscription, players from this community came up with enough money to keep my subscrition going for the next six months.   :salute  What other community would do that for one of it's own?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »
With the recent advent of the closing of Fighter Ace I've been trolling both the Fighter Ace and Warbirds forums.

While Skuzzy is on a major campaign to recruit Fighter Ace players, which seems to be working (while the AH FA forum has numerous posts from FA converts, the WB FA forum has one... one!), most of the comments regarding Aces High on those forums seem positive with a few exceptions.  

While reading the WB forums AH seems to be largely a non-issue other than Thorism bashing HT, Skuzzy, AH and the entire AH community.  I guess losing his "the 190's need to be changed" hijack in the Aircraft and Vehicle forum (http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,286128.0.html) was just too much for him to take.  It's funny how he didn't post a link to that thread while attempting to point out how vile our community is.  It would have revealed what his real intention for AH bashing was.

To each their own.

I feel for the FA community.  I've been through it with the transition from AW to AWII to AW3 and then here.  Each time I lost squad mates and friends.

Frankly, while we do have our family arguments I feel like the AH community has been very accepting and welcoming of players from other flight sims.  As far as community overall goes it can't be beat.  When I posted recently that I'd been out of work for a year and would have to give up my subscription, players from this community came up with enough money to keep my subscrition going for the next six months.   :salute  What other community would do that for one of it's own?

Has Thor defecated, I mean defected? I thought he might've had some cause for being so ker-rabby.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »
It seems like he's looking to cultivate a bit of a Cap'n Outrageous image, like the kind of guy who gets drunk, then leads the conga line into a bathroom where he cuts loose - to everyone's horror.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Has Thor defecated, I mean defected? I thought he might've had some cause for being so ker-rabby.

It was painfully cringe worthy watching hitech and others cut him to ribbons, and thor having no real answer. It makes sense now reading the other forum what he was up to regards his agenda.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
You laugh, Pervert, but Wild Bill's gone and got hisself hooked up in Facebook! Yeeeee-haw:

http://forum.totalsims.com/viewtopic.php?t=9189&highlight=&sid=f6f91a4934c97293defb08325d365ab7

He probably set that up right after he busted out some pipes in his rental and started a waterfall down the stairs.

Never sit with your back to the door, Bill.

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »
To bad we could'nt link up AH with WB and introduce to them our community specialty...The horde! :pray

We all seem to complain about that.... :furious

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »
To bad we could'nt link up AH with WB and introduce to them our community specialty...The horde! :pray

We all seem to complain about that.... :furious

Or make a special arena: WB versus AH. Ladies fly free.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »
You laugh, Pervert, but Wild Bill's gone and got hisself hooked up in Facebook! Yeeeee-haw:

http://forum.totalsims.com/viewtopic.php?t=9189&highlight=&sid=f6f91a4934c97293defb08325d365ab7

He probably set that up right after he busted out some pipes in his rental and started a waterfall down the stairs.

Never sit with your back to the door, Bill.

Hes a bit like this then you mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKcY75LIkRw&feature=related

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »
Krusty wrote.

Krusty this is not even close to the history.

1. I played Air Warrior (was a +100 hrs a month junky)
2. I started playing with flight model physics and graphic programing (HTSIM).
3. I created in Confirmed Kill at night in 94 early 95. Had 2 partners in the business Killer (John  McQueen) and Gunjam (Robert Salinas)
4. We went live with Confirmed kill in May 95.
5. August 95 renamed CK to Warbirds.
7. By late 98 Bill was totally messing up the long term viability of the old company for many reasons (stock went from $14 to less then 1 cent).
8. I left and began work at home on AH.

HiTech

Out of curiosity where was "Target" during all of this, or did WildBill bring him onboard to mess with your code after the split? Some people still in WBs wispering in the dark corners believe the flight models in WBs 2.17 was the shiz...and some clouded memories think Target was responsible for it.

Baldy, I rarely if ever find a reason to disagree with you but...I know Thorsim, and his long running dispute has been with HiTech and the standards used to program the flight models in WBs and here...and whether you see it or not, HiTech can be as abrasive as BiPolar on a good day (can't say I blame him with some of the b.s. I've seen on these boards)...
His problems with the AH community comes from the ankle humpers around here that think just because they have been fondling their joysticks for 10 years it makes them WWII era aeronautical engineering experts with PhD's in history...there are very few that actually have the knowledge, and even fewer have any real life military aircraft flight experience...it's just too bad the chest thumping big brass cyberballs attitudes of the loudmouths here rub off on them and the wealth of useable information gets sidelined in favor of dipstick remarks from people who know less than the ones asking the questions. Speaking of which, there is one person who trolls the forums here that was not only a German jet fighter pilot but also a close personal friend of Eric Hartmann sometime around the Korean war period...and I have seen him treated with as little respect as Thor...that speaks volumes about this community.
Thanks to HiTech's efforts, at one time Warbirds set the standard for online MMO flight sims...and Thor was/is a big fan of the game...some of his questioning comes from the fact that a once great game has evolved into a craptastic pile of outdated garbage because the flight models have been messed up since v2.17. The only reason he is in AH now is because myself and a couple of other squad members got ourselves banned from WBs after pointing out the major suckage of the game in the total sims forums...and I refuse to pay $29 a month for graphics that look like Combat Flight Simulator 2.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett