Author Topic: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Re: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »
Well,
A new plane, and a game that brings people into no mans land with a bit more separation would fill it up again, but its never going to be a new MA. The best if can hope for is 40 people a night, the gear in WW2 is just to interesting.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »
2 things began to irk me about WW1--first and foremost, the Camel is barely competitive compared to Dr7/1...isn't faster, doesnt roll better, doesnt climb better..doesnt do ANYthing better. Considering the brutal view, there's no reason to fly it.  #2, I noticed early on that the pilots who seemed to acquire the most kills were from the DA lake, and simply took their dweeby-whording gameplay into WW1. "Fly into the middle, get a 1 on 1!" About 1 of 3 of THOSE, tards fly in and gang you. HTC cant decode dumbarses
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 05:51:07 PM »
The existence of this post indicates to me that the interest is still alive in WWI and that there is a community of WWI flyer's out there looking for a home, we have the potential to get it done and I hope HTC can do it  :rock
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »
It became evident without an expanded stable of rides that the WWI Arena would devolve into a handfull of hardcore fans mowing the grass for eternity. The Dr1 as modeled is perfict at that role. The F1 needs a bit of air under it to take advantage of its strengths. The DVII seems lately to be used as a herding hound to keep you low and in one spot while the Dr1 mongrel pack cuts off your exit and eviserates you by sheer numbers. I can go to the DA Furball Lake for that and have better odds on surviving the mongeral pack by flying a Tempest. Other wise, I have to make sure I bring a Dr1 pack to use as bait against the other sides Dr1 pack.

MA furballs at their worst are like the current style of fruball in the WWI Arena. But, the MA has a dynamic component that eventualy kills that style of furball off because players loose intrest in the BORG like aspect of the furball or morphs them into a larger more complex battle. The more complex battle attracts the diversity of motivations for fighting which hallmark the player culture in the MA. As is, the WWI Arena has stagnated a bit because the only change in the dynamic is to stop taking part in that arena if you get tired of the rinse and repeat repetition.

If KOTH was the totality of motivation for all players in AH it would be obvious as the dominate cultural motivation in every arena in the game. But, by simple observation it's not. Good, bad, right, or wrong players will need a bit more diverse complexity to the WWI Arena to bring the numbers back in. I suspect from observation of HiTech, the current state of the WWI Arena is a work in progress to which he knows better than us how to analyse the relationship between players and the product to evolve the Arena.

My bets are all on HiTech....... :aok

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »
I had my mind made up before the arena ever opened that the DR1 would be the plane I fly. And I did fly in there for a month, got bored and moved back to the MA. I went back in there last week and only 2 people were logged in.  :( 
Funny how that happened.

Albert Einstein- " Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »
The new terrain editor came out today with trenches, destroyed woods & other WW1 goodies.  Expect some new terrains soon.  No, it doesn't change anything gameplay-wise, but at least there will be different environments to fight in.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
I suspect from observation of HiTech, the current state of the WWI Arena is a work in progress to which he knows better than us how to analyse the relationship between players and the product to evolve the Arena.

My bets are all on HiTech....... :aok

This.  :aok

It has been proven many times before..

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 10:28:49 PM »
Nobody was whining about it, people were just anxious for it because of the unknown factor.  I remember the questionnaire that asked us customers if we would be interested in WW1 aviation.  I for one answered that I would not be interested.  Where are all the players that said they wanted this at?  :headscratch:

Further evidence that the customer does not know squat.

I also put down that I would not be interested.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
I put down that i was very inerested.  I log in and 4 or 6 players. So im like ya ...   Maybe its just me and I am having a hard time adjusting..     Where the other guys plane looks like its at on my end and were it actully is on his end ( im guessing) makes it no fun.

I just cant get use to it.  It looks like his front end is no were close to getting guns yet they do....  maybe its just a visual thing....  I dont have that problem in the MA....

<S>
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 11:48:44 PM »
I think HTC was hoping to the the players from Rise Of Flight, but they just didn't show up for the party.  As far as some kind of war in there, what would that be like? Mustard gas, horses and manned artillary batteries? Not much there to impress todays online gamers. I can't see WW1 being anymore then what it is now.

Well, this would be my WWI wet dream.  Many may not agree:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,287993.msg3656065.html#msg3656065

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 12:40:30 AM »
   Its not complete enough to fly there.  When I first heard of it I had hopes of it being like the MA but WW1. Its more like the DA with WW1 planes.

~AoM~

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 05:56:46 AM »

Well, this would be my WWI wet dream.  Many may not agree:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,287993.msg3656065.html#msg3656065

Regards,
Wab

Wow, it looks like you've put a lot of thought into that. It does sound like it'd be fun. Certainly more fun than the present setup. I too think the place needs some kind of goal or end result to work towards. Without that the arena just doesn't have a purpose in my opinion.

With that being said though, some folks don't need or want a "purpose" to a game. I am amazed at some in the DA that have 1000s of sorties a month. That would bore the living crap out of me. But hey, whatever floats their boat.

No matter what HTC does or doesn't do to the WW1 arena, I'll still spend most all of my time in WW2. That's where my heart is.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 06:24:49 AM »
"My bets are all on HiTech....... "

Mine too, he's seen a lot of stuff come and go.
I'm guessing he's figured this one out too.

And if he hasn't, I'm thinking we'll have user configurable arena's soon and we'll just do it ourselves.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 06:25:57 AM »
WWI is still alot of fun.

The main reason people don't fly it is because it's almost impossible to run away once in a fight  :D
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 06:49:21 AM »

The main reason people don't fly it is because it's almost impossible to run away once in a fight  :D
Yeah sure
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:51:15 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis