Author Topic: The scourge of 262's  (Read 3005 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: The scourge of 262's
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
Ive never seen anyone "turn fight" with a 262, not saying it doesnt happen. 

That's how I always lose mine.

I got into a turn fight with a Zeke one day.  Went round and round for several minutes.  Thankfully I was able to extend out after being beat up but I crashed landing and only got a ditch.   :frown:

I just get too tempted to try it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
Ive never seen anyone "turn fight" with a 262, not saying it doesnt happen.

I use to turn them in fights but not for long against prop planes, had a few good rolling fights against other 262's that last a good 3-4 mins. I spend my perks on the F4U-4 for when i want to have a good time and -1C to just go blow some stuff up.

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
Since a bunch of guys with perks to burn that know how to fly them went on a killing spree last night   :rofl

This was not me :cry
   I have fun in the jet and more good luck than bad but the deuce is like a driver at the first tee,
if ya don;t use it you will never get to know it.

I like burning perks from time to time  :banana:

ps...... Nice shot today Von     :salute

froger
frogs are people too

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 04:44:47 AM »

This was not me :cry
   I have fun in the jet and more good luck than bad but the deuce is like a driver at the first tee,
if ya don;t use it you will never get to know it.

I like burning perks from time to time  :banana:

ps...... Nice shot today Von     :salute

froger

:D

:salute
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 04:51:51 AM »
ZELVA pilots...mission accomplished.  :)
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 05:34:49 AM »
Are you shooting all guns at once? I just use 2 at a time. 4 is overkill unless attacking bombers. Typically I'll run out of fuel well before im out of ammo. Unless of course it's a good run :D

It's just setting up for the shot for me TW got to work on throttle management in that plane for 3 victories I spray like a machine gun lol <S>
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 08:18:53 AM »
Actually most people can remain untouchable in 262s (IF they don't stupidly get slow, get HO'd, get killed by ack/flak, break the wings off, fly the thing into the ground, get shot down by buff's laser guns o'death, or die attempting to land...big IFs) but will find it exceedingly hard to get alot of kills in because of the speed difference, cannon ballistics, and poor forward views. If anything the 262 is overpriced in relation to what it can do...Tempest is a much better choice for building a score.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 08:46:47 AM »
Actually most people can remain untouchable in 262s (IF they don't stupidly get slow, get HO'd, get killed by ack/flak, break the wings off, fly the thing into the ground, get shot down by buff's laser guns o'death, or die attempting to land...big IFs) but will find it exceedingly hard to get alot of kills in because of the speed difference, cannon ballistics, and poor forward views. If anything the 262 is overpriced in relation to what it can do...Tempest is a much better choice for building a score.

The speed gap is rather quick to get used to, and compared to my ride of choice the cannon ballistics and visibility are ten times easier to work with. If one flys like they're actually sitting in the aircraft, they won't be so easily persuaded to try to turn with that zero after their initial pass fails.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 08:50:23 AM »
With most long term players having tens of thousands of points. What number would you like too perk the 262 as too make it harder for the 262 guys to get one?
well at a 1000pts  I could still crash 25 of them so how bout 2000pts  :D
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »
Most of us old timers have so many perks, we can fly 262s for several camps full time and not run out of perks.

I always wanted perks to reset on your monthly subscription date, this way perk rides would have more value and everyone would be on a different calendar.

Heck, it might even encourage people to fly for the side with the lowest numbers to earn perks.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »
Most of us old timers have so many perks, we can fly 262s for several camps full time and not run out of perks.

I always wanted perks to reset on your monthly subscription date, this way perk rides would have more value and everyone would be on a different calendar.

Heck, it might even encourage people to fly for the side with the lowest numbers to earn perks.

+1
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
I always wanted perks to reset on your monthly subscription date,

Which puts the occasional gamers at a disadvantage. If you only manage to play a few hours per tour, you will never be able to up a 262 or even a Tempest
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 11:39:57 AM »
262's I think are in the bottom third of planes I worry about defending against for the most part, unless I see that it's one of the top-shelf guys flying it.  They're just not that hard to avoid.  The annoying thing with them is you do have to be keeping an eye on them pretty much all the time to stay out of their way.  I think perhaps their greatest value is as a 'scarecrow' to occupy the other side's pilots attention while your prop planes fight them.

I also like to go after them if I've got alt.  One of my more memorable sorties involved me in a 109F and was trying to run down a 262 that was working the crowd defending the base I was over.  Talk about the wrong tool for the job, but I kept cutting the corners on him and getting hits here and there, but I could never get a decisive burst to hurt him.  I just really enjoyed the working out where he was going to be and putting my slow little plane there.

They can be annoying at times, but I don't think they really break the game.  With that said, seeing them up in squad strength was not something I was in the mood for the other night, so I found my fun elsewhere.  It did amuse me though as a 'first time I've seen that.' kind of thing.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »
I think perhaps their greatest value is as a 'scarecrow' to occupy the other side's pilots attention while your prop planes fight them.

They work great as a distraction. Not only because every enemy in the area is trying to evade you but also because there's nothing that's making players so greedy as holding them a me 262 carrot under their nose ;)

A few times I have broken the enemy's cap of a friendly base not by shooting them all down, but by just flying around and making them follow me... keeping just enough speed to make them think they have a chance...dragging the vulchers away from the runway like the Pied Piper of Hamelin :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 12:10:59 PM »
Which puts the occasional gamers at a disadvantage. If you only manage to play a few hours per tour, you will never be able to up a 262 or even a Tempest

That is the nature of online gaming... if you only spend an hour online every 2 weeks, your ability to furball will be diminished and it can even affect your ability to GV.

Right now, the perk system is almost useless unless ENY is elevated. Some of us are approaching 50k perks, I wouldn't doubt some of have crossed that line already.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!