Author Topic: Icons  (Read 7348 times)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Re: Icons
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »
 Yes its a game and those that fly FSO have a voice.Apparently that voice tends to say short Icons take away from the fun.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »
Happy 4th of July everyone..
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks TUK, same to you.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »
I understand this, But why complain is all Im saying . after all it is only a game Right ?
Precisely!
So why pursue realism to the point of ruining the fun. It's a game. Folks play for enjoyment/fun. The majority posting here did not have fun with icon settings. What was you point again? Oh yeah, why "complain".

Folks are complaining so that those that affect these things are aware. If they aren't aware then there is the possibility this thing we don't enjoy might stay. If it stays because we say nothing we have failed the Fun Gods. If it stays despite our voices, the Fun Gods have failed us.

Thanks for all the AvA propaganda also. I think we have a solution.

Keep the icon setting in the AvA, all those that <3 them for their BFF's can go there. Slide FSO away from the settings that attract 6 people a day into the AvA arena and back to the way it was for the 250+ folks who turn up weekly for FSO.

Friday Squad Operations Fun Sucked Out.
Fluctuating Settings Only Facilitate Screams Originating From Sections Of Friday's Squad Operations. Frightened Severely Our Friends Soundly Offer Frank Solutions/Opinions, Faithfully Sure Our Fearless Squad Operations Forerunners Shall Organize Future Squad Operations, Fixing Settings Outright.

See what I did there?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:01:01 PM by TinmanX »
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »

Friday Squad Operations Fun Sucked Out.
Fluctuating Settings Only Facilitate Screams Originating From Sections Of Friday's Squad Operations. Frightened Severely Our Friends Soundly Offer Frank Solutions/Opinions, Faithfully Sure Our Fearless Squad Operations Forerunners Shall Organize Future Squad Operations, Fixing Settings Outright.

See what I did there?

Talent... just pure talent  :huh

***G3-MF***

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »
I was quite surprised that I couldn't see anything until 1K and so was my squad. Seems 3k is good enough and has been used for a while now.

This is just another argument about the human eye vs the computer screen...3K is a good middle and should be the standard unless we all get upgraded with 50" flat screens or something...and even then. I only run a 19" and people who run lower I feel bad for.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Edgar

• Copper Member
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
For crying out loud people,

Give it a rest. Everyone has stated their opinions and I am sure it will be taken into account when the next FSO is designed. Some of you seem to forget without the volunteers that give their time to set this up week after week and donate many hours of their free time to this, FSO wouldn't happen. They do this only to be attacked every FSO about something or the other. Frankly, I wonder why they don't all just say "F" it and move on. They continue to open their selves up for this abuse week after week in the hopes of putting on a fun event that everyone will enjoy.

This community has already run off Stoney, how many more is it going to take before we lighten up just a bit.

These guys do the best job that they can, and I am quite sure that anything they do that doesn't turn out quite the way they thought it would was not done maliciously, but with the intent of creating a better FSO for all of us. I for one am thankful that these guys put up with this crap week after week to put on the best event that they possibly can.

:salute to the FSO staff and Happy Independence Day TUK!
XO
VMF-222 ~Flying Deuces~
http://www.vmf-222.com/

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2010, 09:43:35 PM »

These guys do the best job that they can, and I am quite sure that anything they do that doesn't turn out quite the way they thought it would was not done maliciously, but with the intent of creating a better FSO for all of us. I for one am thankful that these guys put up with this crap week after week to put on the best event that they possibly can.

Look it's not that their efforts are not appreciated and even experimenting is not bad, but when it doesn't work and folks express their dislike of the experiment, it's time to go back to the accepted settings, not continue them for the next 2 frame's.  I think changing the icons settings are quite easy to do, and doesn't require massive reworking of the senario.

People will complain when things are not fun,  that's the feed back these folks should want to make things better, but that doesn't seem to be the case here????  Platitudes like "you folks have no idea what I am trying to do" don't usually lead to shouts of atta boy.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »
I prefer to fly with whatever settings are chosen for us, so I do not have a preference.  But one idea occurred to me while paging through this thread: Not sure the game engine can do this...  given the same settings as Friday, if NME icons could be enabled under 1k and at 500, the range info goes away but aircraft info does not. Or instead of saying Spit, it says NME.  That way people with lesser abilities to see aircraft and dots have soem help, but when it gets close, not a crutch for shooting purposes.
Just a thought...
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2010, 10:47:22 AM »
Having said that I fully understand that just 'surviving' an FSO frame does not make it fun. There are a lot of other factors involved. I get that, and look a those too.

For those of you that don't enjoy it, but stick it out I apologize and I appreciate your efforts to help us improve FSO.

For those that quit. Adios!   :salute

Now I understand at least how and why this "icon" change came about.  Aside from that, I personally, don't (and wouldn't) care what the stats are on survivability.  I would care about playability and enjoyment, which are certainly difficult to gauge I imagine being very subjective.  Anecdotally, from what I've heard and exerienced, most people don't mind not surviving as long as the rode to their demise was fair, exciting and not too quick (something the pilot's skill level may determine).

For myself, I have no intention of quiting FSO overall, just that if anything at all comes up in real life on Friday night that is the least bit interesting for the rest of this rotation, I will do that and not FSO.  Of course, my life ain't all that interesting, so who knows.  And if I do fly, since survivability seems to be a crucial issue for some reason, I may just fly and avoid conflict that I can't see anyway, just so I can land.  Not my idea of teamplay or true effort, but I really hate being a baby seal again.  Been there, done that, a long, long time ago.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline RamPytho

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2010, 11:27:50 AM »
Personally I think the 1k icons  :rock
Being ~~The Killuminati~~ bait since tour 109

from the OP post, looks like proper grammar is perked and he's all out of perks.

Offline AKKaz

• Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
As our squadron decided for the first time to forgo a FSO monthly event, I cannot directly comment on what actually happened in the frame.  But as squadron CO I do keep up with all posts and event happenings to try and keep abreast of it all.

As I am not writing to push any agenda at all, as posted by one of my officers, we did not fly this month due to the settings specified from the beginning.  The event has become extremely popular in the last year or two due to what it has been from its inception.  Though many things progress over the course of time, the basics are what made it what it is.  Though I don't expect any one voice (or squad voice) to be of any recourse, as DD has stated to those that choose not to fly "adios" which is fine by all means with no ill feelings as I know what is really meant, but I would think a long standing squad being a no-show would at least raise a brow or 2.

I have to at least say that as one of the original squads of the FSO, there was no doubt on receiving and flying every one that came up with not much question.  But with constant tweeks and changes occurring over the past year or so, each setup now is hashed out within the squad command as to whether we will even participate for each one.  And for the constant years of those that spout "realism" or "in WWII".... but this is a game and complete realism is a fantasy. 

Please, set a standard and keep it... allow all to then choose as to participate every week with that constant.  I have utmost respect and appreciation for those designing and running each months FSO. Reinvention of the wheel is not necessary though, let's not forget the basics that over the years made this event what it is.

AKKaz
CO Arabian Knights
AKKaz
Arabian Knights

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »
  Kaz I was just gonna write what you did...wtg. I agree if designers want to experiment, please give squads the option whether or not they wish to participate without alot of hassle.

~AoM~

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »
I have to at least say that as one of the original squads of the FSO, there was no doubt on receiving and flying every one that came up with not much question.  But with constant tweeks and changes occurring over the past year or so, each setup now is hashed out within the squad command as to whether we will even participate for each one...Please, set a standard and keep it...Reinvention of the wheel is not necessary though, let's not forget the basics that over the years made this event what it is.

Kaz,

The problem right now for you guys and others, is that the folks that are volunteering their time to setup the events want to use their creativity and do some new stuff.  There's a lot of new capability in the game that didn't exist 3 years ago, and those guys are trying to explore it and see if it will work within FSO.  DD has an opening on the FSO Admin team.  I'm sure that with the amount of experience within your squad, one of your guys would be uniquely qualified to be an FSO Admin, and you could make the event look exactly like you guys think it should.

"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
With all due respect to all squadrons participating in FSO...

It seems to me that the mentality of "If you don't do it our way, we're not flying" is pretty disrespectful to those running the event.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours is certainly quite valid. However, to chose not to participate, well that just seems kinda rude. Next thing you know, if you don't get the side you want, well your just not gonna fly. Don't get the aircraft you want....well we're sitting this one out too. Next thing you know it's a circus trying to juggle just who's flying this time and who isn't.

When this setup was designed, squads were assigned and the CM's, CiC's, and supporting squadrons were all counting on having this many slots filled. When you suddenly pull your squad because you don't like the setup, rules, planes, or who's in charge this go round....well you throw a wrench in the works, and that's just not cool. You have, as a squad made a commitment to fly in the FSO, for better or worse. If you don't like the setup, that's quite all right. You adapt, make the best of what you have, and get out there and let the bad guys have it! But you have to at least give it a try.
Sometimes you get the sweet ride, sometimes the lemon. You take your lumps and deal with it knowing that you've done your turn in the trenches.

As stated, this event has become quite awesome over the last couple years, and the tweaking can only improve the event. By trying out new things, you get a good feel for what works, what doesn't, and insight on how to make it even better the next time. It also prevents stagnation, and complacency. If you don't explore new possibilities, you shut down an awful lot of awesome that sits just around the corner.

With that said, party on dudes!
And remember, I said "With all due respect"  :aok

Rolling Thunder

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Kaz,

The problem right now for you guys and others, is that the folks that are volunteering their time to setup the events want to use their creativity and do some new stuff.  There's a lot of new capability in the game that didn't exist 3 years ago, and those guys are trying to explore it and see if it will work within FSO. 

I thought the 4th friday between FSO's was being used for that? Combat Challenge, with the reduced icons.

Everyone appreciates the time the CMs put in, but we are not guinea pigs. FSO is one of the few times I get to play these days, my MA time is nearly zero. I'm not some snotty kid with a box of tissues for a girlfriend living with his parents spending 40 hours a week in the MA. FSO occurs at midday Sat my time, my wife takes the time to make sure my 2 boys are clear so I can have a couple of hours enjoyment to myself a week.

I think there is an overwhelming amount of 'we don't like these icon ranges' feedback. The CM team expects some consistency from squads in FSO, it's part of what makes it so successful. I don't think it's much to ask for the players to get some consistency the other way. You have to ask yourself is FSO the right place to be experimenting with your 'creativity' (personally I think labeling short icon ranges as 'creative' reeks of someone inhaling too deeply).