Author Topic: Attention Duelling Arena pilots  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Attention Duelling Arena pilots
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »
Shuff in a 109? :eek:

You could hear him giggling. 

- oldman (people often do that when they switch from bombers to fighters)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2010, 12:18:44 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That reminds me.....

I've got 40 pounds of that in the basement, patiently waiting to become an IPA...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »
You could hear him giggling. 

- oldman (people often do that when they switch from bombers to fighters)

:rofl

That's why my Bearhawk will have a stick, and not a yoke   :devil
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2010, 12:34:29 PM »
I was even on axis side for a long while flying 109s. I had a blast.

of course he had to take a shower afterwards to get the dirt off!  :D

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »
The 109 in there is a great machine. Turns easily and does a switchback on a dime. Very light...... I was turning with the Hurris in the and killing more than being killed.

Even if I was shot down every time it would have been fun all the same. The no icons really sets this arena apart from the daily grind.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »
of course he had to take a shower afterwards to get the dirt off!  :D

that's better than the spitfires.

the last time i flew a spitfire, it took two hot showers, and a scrub brush to get it all off of me.  :noid :neener:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »
The 109 in there is a great machine. Turns easily and does a switchback on a dime. Very light...... I was turning with the Hurris in the and killing more than being killed.

Even if I was shot down every time it would have been fun all the same. The no icons really sets this arena apart from the daily grind.

bolded....THIS is what will draw me back, even though i kept losing the cons in the surroundings down low.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2010, 01:33:34 PM »
When I was a teenager in Maryland my father belonged to the Ft. Meade Flying Club along with flying as an instructor for Hinson Airways at BWI. The no enemy icon in the AvA is fairly relaistic. My father and some of his flying freinds would happen to meet in what ever they were flying over a farm near Frederick Maryland Airport on saturday mornings. Then play a game they made up called "Hold 6".

You have to imagine 3 or 4 cessna 150-172, piper cherokee, stinson reliant, voyager and even an L19 Birddog with 40ish to 60ish men playing geriatric SlowMow DA yelling guns, guns, guns at each other. One of those old guys happened to own the farm they met over. These sessions didn't last more than 15 minutes and consisted mostly of slow circles with diving and climbing. But, the AvA is realistic in that you lost sight easily looking down for the other guy then picked him up again looking up. And judging distance and E states by eye was not easy.

That big red icon with the range tag on it is one of the primary reasons this game is playable for most of the player base. With out it you really do spend most of your time looking over your shoulder and fishtailing to check your low 6. No comfortable drive to the dot on radar and a 6k visual warning icon to help you get ready. I watched Oldman almost pick someone from underneath because he was hiding just back and below in a blindspot shadowing in a slow climb. His opponent had lost sight of him for a moment as Oldman dove out at the ground clutter.

I noticed three very common issues players were having with no-Icon.

1.) Being able to see and track their targets. Your eyes are not adjusted to working with sillouetts because you track the GIANT red range indicating Icon in the DA or MA.

2.) Being able to judge timing to initiate manuvers. This comes back to the Icon and range. I had a con initiate a defensive over shoot barrel roll early which was beutiful to watch but all it did was have him finish it with his wings completely filling my gunsight in front of me so I could pull the trigger. He started it with me too far back and completed it just as I closed the distance between us.

3.) Knowing how to calculate range, deflection, and bullet drop using an historical gunsight. This comes back to that red Icon and its auto range tag. I saw alot of missing because players did not know 1000, 800, 600, or 400 yards from 200 yards. Most of the kills I witnessed and that I made were by flying up the cons tail and wearing debrie in my windscreen. Historical gunsights were laid out to help the pilot judge distance, elevation and deflection. That red Icon does it for us by ticking off 1000-200 yards during combat.

I liked the setup. Without the Icon you began to understand the need for a wingman and good communication. Camouflaged paint scheams worked as intended. The real problems of visualy judging range and E states is well showcased. Radar does show you above NOE red dots so you can vector to a fight. You still had to keep looking everywhere all the time because several players would hang out NOE near your airfeild to catch you as you climbed out or were landing. When the fights were even it was challenging and a lot of fun.

The lack of a big red range indicating Icon will be an extra visual workload and stressfull for some players. Not all players come to this game for the same reasons. But, for some players the lack of an Icon is an added immersive dimension which will  make their air to air combat experience that much more exciting. The best way to first experience it is with a group of players you know or freinds. Their feed back makes getting up to speed with no-Icon faster.

This setup has the flavor of the old CT days. I hope more players become involved.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2010, 02:23:57 PM »
the idea of the AvA sound very inviting. No icons, the maps, planes sets etc. Every time I log on I check out the arena count hoping for a at least a couple of folks so I can give it a go. Alas it always read 0 or 2 people.   Maybe tonight I will try and stick it out just to see if numbers attract numbers.

I sertainly appreciate the effort of those that set it up  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »
Well put bustr!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »
just out of curiousity.......is there a "silhouette" recognition chart anywhere?

oh yea........i think i saw some pee 38's being prepped with bombs and rockets, along with a couple of b-26's i hadn't seen at the field before.  :devil
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:41:32 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »
Well, to keep it realistic then, after I kill you, don't up again coming straight at me for a revenge HO while I am fighting your two bodies.  Because this is what is happening under the cover of realism, it is only an easy way to pick someone that cant see you coming due to the limitations of the graphics, the screen, the two dimensional environment, not having a squadron looking after each other etc.

So, why we don't accept one unrealistic thing (icons on) but we accept the other (the dead rising and coming back to get you a few seconds after their death?  Even Jesus needed 3 days  :rofl)???  Have the decency to not do that and I won't mine having icons off.  Holding breath  :lol

As for the mad skills and the better fights in there, there is a reason I can get 3 to 6 kills before I get picked in the AvA, but I am lucky if I get  any in the MA.  Only reason for icons to be off is to make picking easier.  Only reason people to want them off, is so they can pick easier.  If it was not for that, they would just turn their own icons off, and leave the rest of us alone.   :aok
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »
Well, to keep it realistic then, after I kill you, don't up again coming straight at me for a revenge HO while I am fighting your two bodies.  Because this is what is happening under the cover of realism, it is only an easy way to pick someone that cant see you coming due to the limitations of the graphics, the screen, the two dimensional environment, not having a squadron looking after each other etc.

So, why we don't accept one unrealistic thing (icons on) but we accept the other (the dead rising and coming back to get you a few seconds after their death?  Even Jesus needed 3 days  :rofl)???  Have the decency to not do that and I won't mine having icons off.  Holding breath  :lol

As for the mad skills and the better fights in there, there is a reason I can get 3 to 6 kills before I get picked in the AvA, but I am lucky if I get  any in the MA.  Only reason for icons to be off is to make picking easier.  Only reason people to want them off, is so they can pick easier.  If it was not for that, they would just turn their own icons off, and leave the rest of us alone.   :aok

I think we all understand your opinion on the subject, thinking you might have a different motive than just communicating that at this point.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »
I think we all understand your opinion on the subject, thinking you might have a different motive than just communicating that at this point.

ROTFLMAO!  I enjoy Dedalos here and the arenas but this says it all on this subject.

Changeup
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:13:10 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2010, 03:09:27 PM »
TURN OFF F3 in the DA and everyone that is left in the game will show up in the AvA.  Think I'm kidding???  Do it for a month or two and watch.

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba