Author Topic: Attention Duelling Arena pilots  (Read 9232 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Attention Duelling Arena pilots
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 08:57:02 AM »
<sigh> i guess shuffler was right, i should've listened to him.

my apologies to all, please ignore this thread!

You mean this?

I seriously don't think the DA Lake types will like the straight up fights in the AVA. It will appeal to folks who like the classic matchups.

Yeah, continue the insults  :rofl.  I guess you were only looking for the DA Lake "types" to come in to the AvA lol.  I see a lot of good coming out of that.  They would turn it into a DA Lake since that is what those "types" want.

See the problem?  You are not trying to create anything good or better.  You are just trying to find a way to bring in people no matter what, and as I said in the past, in the process you chased away the regulars
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 08:58:43 AM »
Again, why do you think DA lake guys would like that?

Tip to increase AVA populous:
Convince HTC to publish AVA rankings on end of each tour like it does with other arenas, on AH home page.
You'll increase number of player 10 times. Good chances some will like it and remain.

Pretty sure the score mongers are the types not wanted in the AVA....
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 09:20:33 AM »
Pretty sure the score mongers are the types not wanted in the AVA....

You couldn't be more right... AvA 'rs (at least those I've met) seem to not be about score, but about winning, completing that objective. The MA use to be like AvA, then Day 2 came when it became not about completing for a goal or fighting that intricate battle for control of territory, but a place where it's about score whoring and ignoring the objective. Almost like Griefers, but operating within the bounds of the game. (They could pick in the DA easily, but they don't get the "I'm better cause my number is lower" feeling.)
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »

The stubbornness of the AvA staff is beyond belief.  You keep asking for people to come in tot he AvA.  People tell you that they might if you turn on icons and you insist on telling them how great it is without them and then insult them for wanting them on  :rofl

Would it not be stubborn to ignore the following?

Thanks for the work you guys do for this arena.

:salute

I have more fun in an hour in the no icons AvA than in a year in the MA.

:rock

:aok
Ditto!  What Dawger said!   :salute  Thanks again for all the great effort!

Agreed. This is a neat place, and I'm slowly learning.  :airplane:
Went and flew in there for a while the first time ever today.  Had a good time, really enjoyed the no icons.  I'll definitely be coming back, good times!
This might get me flying regularly again.
And I had more fun in this arena than I have had in a while!!
There were about 20 players on when i was on and even with this small amount, it was still possible to have plenty of good fights!
The lack of icons adds a whole new dimension to a fight and i'm sure spending a few more nights in there, my SA will improve tenfold.

So i shall definitely be back haha!     :aok

MickyD
[/quo
Yup my first time in there last night too. Touuuuggh, Im only a mediocre pilot to begin with but with the lack of enemy icons, dang was very hard. I had a blast anyway, I suppose it will give me better SA, Hope to get in there again sometime soon, <S> to all who were there.  :salute

For those looking for a good time, not me, and think they have been in some tense fights come on over to the AvA and experience the game as it should be. Did I hear something. :noid

It's the best change to hit the AvA for a while...thanks to a persistent suggestion by Nr Raven and Jaeger *ahem* "taking an initiative"...  :lol

I loved it. Great fun, thanks.
<S> Gents

was great fun, guess we LD will take a look much more often, the no Icon stuff is great!
We had tons of fun!

:aok
Jaeger the no icons thing is a blast with the current setup.
When you asked me if I could see enemy icons I didn't realize you had turned them off. I was closing on Midway in my A6M2.I look over my shoulder and thought what the hell is that black thing? The black thing became a blue F4F that started shooting and nearly clobbered me. It was a freaking hoot.
<S>

I loved the no icon's as well.
Just got done flying with some guys in there, and I have to say, first few sorties reminded me of my first time trying to play MA Aces High! But after a few, I picked up on it quite well, and was landing kills  :joystick: All in all, a fun thing!
I try the AvA today for about 4 1/2 hours and I like the idea of no enemy icons. I'm not much good at the flying but I did like it anyway  :aok
Aka: Bison
Jaeger very nice job with the setup. Ive been flying the MA alot lately and it was awesome to have a little something different. I found myself looking back more than usual, bobing, and weaving out of sheer terror that I had overlooked one of those low flying almost invisable enemy aircraft.
In the turn fite I kept loosing my oponents and had to extend to regroup. Good times - you fellers that put your time into setting these things up keep up the good work. Much appreciated.

:rock :rock :rock

Had a BLAST last night in AvA!! Really great fights all night long. I really enjoyed the no icons.  Not something I'd wanna see all the time, but it was a hoot.  

:salute :salute :salute
Homerun Jaeger. I have not had that much in the AvA in a long, long time  :rock
Jaeger had a blast tonight in AvA.  First time flying in there and I must say it I was impressed.  Most of all the fun of the icons being off was a A+, honestly thats how the MA should be - more realistic.  Thanks  :salute
I think last night was the most fun I've had in the AvA since it started, hands down.

Good clean fights, lots of action, not much complaining, lots of salutes.

What has kept me out of the AvA for several years was a certain group of people telling other people how to fly, etc.
To me nothing is a bigger immersion killer.

I didn't see any of that at all. Personally I suck at no icons, and I'm rusty at arena flying.
But as long as the arena stays like this I'll keep coming back.

<S>
:rofl I went in there Sunday night not knowing enemy icons were off :O  That was a short sortie :lol.  I've been in there the last two nights and enjoyed it :aok, had to leave early last night for meeting with a student.  By the way the blue wildcats are hard to track at close range on a small moniter, I lost one more then once last night.  Never happens to me with billboards above them :lol

:salute
BigRat

IMO the current AVA setup with no icons, has been a hit by AVA standards.

I couldn't disagree more about any comments on the no icon's. It is in fact the best thing about the AvA and truly makes ACM "come alive". Just about everything that doesn't "add up" when viewed via the normal AH experience all of a sudden makes perfect sense.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 10:04:06 AM »
Agreed.  Unless of course they enable F3 and give out free Tempests and C-Hogs.

I knew somebody would deliver that Zinger...unfortunately too true Sunbat. :aok

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:18:06 AM by waystin2 »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
Some really nice pics posted on our squad boards.

That terrain is outstanding (thanks again Ranger), add to that a pair of hurris flying wing and a 109 trying to get position. WOW. There were even bombers coming through. Was great fun and created lots of immersion.

It's hard to spot bogies on the deck and at alt. You kind of get the feel the real pilots had in first spotting them then determining friend or foe. Adds a great deal to the feel of the game for me.

The AVA is different from every other setup this game has. Nothing is like it. Some will enjoy the change and others will not. Doesn't mean it's better or worse. Just means folks are different.

When I said that I did not think the DA Lake types would not like it, I did not mean they were less than anyone else. I just figured the style of play at DA Lake was far different from the style of play usually found in the AVA. There are some that fly DA Lake that might actually appreciate the change. Who knows.........
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:06:38 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »
You mean this?

Yeah, continue the insults  :rofl.  I guess you were only looking for the DA Lake "types" to come in to the AvA lol.  I see a lot of good coming out of that.  They would turn it into a DA Lake since that is what those "types" want.

See the problem?  You are not trying to create anything good or better.  You are just trying to find a way to bring in people no matter what, and as I said in the past, in the process you chased away the regulars

no actually he PM'ed me something. he suggest i not bother posting something like my original post.

the only problem i see is, as usual, you making something out of nothing. you insistence to press an issue that isn't an issue except in your mind. all i tried to do was suggest that maybe the dueling arena guys might want to try out the AVA and give it a shot. whether they like it or not, would be entirely up to them.

why they would or wouldn't like the AVA would also be up to them. it would be a decision made by their experiences. id like to see people try out things and decide on their own whether or not they like it. we already know how you feel about it.

i was told this would turn into a flame fest, and apparently that holds true. thank you for your input.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »
Would it not be stubborn to ignore the following?

Agreed, the arena must be full then.  HT should be at work right now implementing arena caps  :lol

What you guys don;t get is that a thank you on the BBS does not mean people in the arena, or this thread would not have been created right?

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »
Agreed, the arena must be full then.  HT should be at work right now implementing arena caps  :lol

What you guys don;t get is that a thank you on the BBS does not mean people in the arena, or this thread would not have been created right?

You are right, the arena isn't full, but then again it wasn't full before the icons were turned off either.

I'm just illustrating that the setting has it's fans, and there would also be a big howl if we turned them back on.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
The AvA has no F-3 mode and the DA types can't look like super shots there. My thing with the AvA is to waits between missions. I must be ADHD.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010, 10:44:39 AM »
all i tried to do was suggest that maybe the dueling arena guys might want to try out the AVA and give it a shot. whether they like it or not, would be entirely up to them.

All good deads, good intentions, and positive effort must be punished.  ;)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »
You are right, the arena isn't full, but then again it wasn't full before the icons were turned off either.

I'm just illustrating that the setting has it's fans, and there would also be a big howl if we turned them back on.

True, but it was also not empty on a regular basis before it was fixed.  Icons is the latest.  Radar was before that.  Catering to even Storch and his bodies in order to keep some numbers was before that.

I agree that it has its fans.  I just think most of the fans are in the BBS and not in the arena, or they are only fans for one day of the week.  At list the jerks complaining about it were there every day.   Oh yeah, and as mission boy said, my problem is that I can;t have F3 mode on.  He is the type of guy that the arena needs  :rofl

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2010, 10:55:42 AM »
All good deads, good intentions, and positive effort must be punished.  ;)

good point.........ok capt........30 lashes with a wet noodle.
 the good side, is the administrator of those 30 lashes will be a hot woman in tight leather.  :noid :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »
True, but it was also not empty on a regular basis before it was fixed.  

Not sure about that, but what do I know? I'm new.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »
Baldeagle, stop the tough guy stuff.  Captain1ma is trying, and has been for the past year, to get the AvA Area back into motion like it was 3 years ago.

It seems to me he'd have better results if he didn't berate all of the very people he's trying to attract.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.