Author Topic: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD  (Read 24099 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
On that raid we were running shallow.... maybe three feet. This method is used should you have to go airborn quickly. Since the props are getting air too at three feet you can generate more speed while submerged in the terrain.

SAPP MODE 17

U-38  O.o ?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
In my opinion and my personal reasons...

1. The "immersion" comes from the 1st-person in-cockpit-only view of a well-modeled WWII plane/vehicle being used to fight against other human beings from around the world .

2. The "why I fight" comes from the fact that I decided to sign up and pay $14.95/month to enjoy point number one (see bolded text).

I understand. Thats why I play as well. However Im never immersed. I play this game as I would any other game. To get me immersed would be to have the gameplay strats and pilot life continuing after bailout etc. Stuff like that, thats tracked and displayed at the end so we could all see how the war went.

~AoM~

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2010, 03:14:41 PM »
I would agree that the town's are too scattered for most squads. Maybe make the total area of the town 1/4 - 1/3 smaller, therefore making it that much more dense and that much easier to take down to satisfy most squads.

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2010, 03:24:21 PM »
is it too big for the average bear?
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2010, 03:28:09 PM »
is it too big for the average bear?

NO!! ;)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2010, 03:37:09 PM »
There really is no sense in a base being difficult to capture if there are hundreds on a map.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:57:28 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2010, 03:57:54 PM »
There's really is no sense in a base being difficult to capture if there are hundreds on a map.

In a twisted way I agree with this, I feel there are way too many bases. The maps could be made much smaller with less bases & more strats that affect the bases.

For example, as it is now, there are groups of people who enjoy capturing bases who receive little to no resistance. There is no resistance because, the defending country sees 30+ attackers and thinks, whatever, we have  30+ bases they'll have to do this all week to win, no use risking my cartoon life to defend it. This ultimately leads to less combat, not more. This is in no way directed to base takers in a negative light, they are an integral part of the game, but the maps should be arranged such that their desire to capture bases encourages combat and not the current situation where the defending country is basically apathetic.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2010, 04:04:01 PM »
wasn't it in the not too distant past, that people were complaining about wanting bigger maps, with more bases?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »
wasn't it in the not too distant past, that people were complaining about wanting bigger maps, with more bases?
Do you have a link? what were the arguments for a large one, I'm interested.

I suspect that a bigger map per-say isn't the issue, its that the penalty for loosing a base, etc.. isn't great enough to encourage people to care.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »
I believe we are getting off topic here a bit
Subject is plain and simple
Town is to large for small squads
The object of being on a squad is to have the  ability to create a  strategic plan of attack
No one needs to be a on squad to fly around and just kill . If that was all I wanted I would purchase one
of those game consoles.

We play becuase we used to enjoy taking bases,ports and having the ability to catch opposite groups off guard

Now becuase of the town size and in-ability to determine it status it has put us in a bad position.
Squad members not showing up because of the frustration that is being created just playing the game now....
And I have spoken to at least 4 people who have recently left since the change. :confused:

Maybe it's a question of training? I checked your scores, and while scores mean nothing, they can point to different indicators. As a squad you guys don't bomb very well, nor does it look like your fighter skills reflect very well. While I could be way off base here, if your guys can't hit what they are aiming for, nor defend and cap long enough for a goon to get in then yes I agree your going to have lots of trouble capturing bases.  Maybe you used NOE's a lot before and snuck bases, but that is the kind of thing HTC is looking to do away with, the AVOIDANCE of battle/combat.

What this means is that you have to up your game. You will have to fight for them now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2010, 04:20:29 PM »

I suspect that a bigger map per-say isn't the issue, its that the penalty for loosing a base, etc.. isn't great enough to encourage people to care.

Most people wanted bigger maps when there were large numbers on. Picture "uteris" with 400-500 people on it. All there was were 3 huge furballs. Of course once we got the big maps people wanted the small ones back because they couldn't reset the large one any more.   :rolleyes:

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »

i didn't go looking. it was kind of a serious question. i thought i had seen complaints of that before, but wasn't sure. i'm just finishing up my massively fun day at work here......

in the lw arenas, i don't know why no one bothers to defend. in mw, what i often see, is that whichever country may be close to winning, will ignore attackers, and continue to try to roll the bases of least resistance. they won't run from a fight....but they won't defend either.
 sometimes it gets annoying, but i don't let stuff like that bother me anymore. i go bomb something. i go shoot guns on a vbase, and eventually someone comes in an aircraft to shoot at me........or i fly in the ava.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »
Most people wanted bigger maps when there were large numbers on. Picture "uteris" with 400-500 people on it. All there was were 3 huge furballs. Of course once we got the big maps people wanted the small ones back because they couldn't reset the large one any more.   :rolleyes:

Thats a good point, maybe have 2 maps in rotation depending on the time of day? Being on the west coast, by the time I get a chance to get on, the large maps are fairly empty, except for the rare occasion when I get on at 6PM PST or earlier (which almost never happens).
It gets real bad late a night around 12-1 am PST, where all you have is one squad taking bases with a few people sporadically bombing strats, etc..
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2010, 04:41:57 PM »
Lusch,

In the last month about 6 posts have been started camplaining or wishing for a change in town capture or how strat effects the game play. If you are willing would you pull all of them and map the varying facts and trending. Then see if a general Scatter Plot graph can result from the analysis?

My wife is accredited in performing Changeworks Change Management Analysis (MasterStream at www.masterstream.com). She is fed up with me trying to get her input on these posts even though each response in all of these posts can be used as the starting point change culture survey to produce a ChangeGrid Graph. Everyone participating in these posts is identifying fractions of the issue but are incapable of seeing the complete amorphous entity. I was hoping from each posted answer/comment in each of the threads you could identify the plethora of fractions then produce a master scatter graph to help the community see what they are the most concerned with at this juncture.

I've always appreciated the shrewdness in allowing us to complain about the game openly in this forum. We are never given exactly what we want. But, there is an ongoing commitment to giving us what we need to use our imagination to enjoy this game.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
Most people wanted bigger maps when there were large numbers on. Picture "uteris" with 400-500 people on it. All there was were 3 huge furballs. Of course once we got the big maps people wanted the small ones back because they couldn't reset the large one any more.   :rolleyes:

that's what i thought i had seen.

your post above this one i've quoted.....excellent point...i don't think in all these pages, that any of us thought of that......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"