Author Topic: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD  (Read 21906 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »
found if you have a group attacking town, split the out side corners up between players. It's easier to keep track of buildings if your concentrating on one section rather than just randomly shooting buildings all over town.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
Here's a typical Rook "attack" on a small field.

(1) 6 guys, two of which have no clue what to hit
(2) the six guys attack the town, not killing the ack first
(3) 2 of the planes die on the first pass from town ack
(4) the remaining 4 make a second pass
(5) 2 of these 4 die to town ack
(6) the remaining two, having now aquired wisdom, stop working the town
(7) at the same time, the enemy at the field being attacked
     begins lifting fighters to deal with the remaining 2.
(8) The first six who died call out constantly for help at "field x"
     telling their countrymen the town is almost completely down. (It is not)
(9) Add your own little treasures at this point, it just becomes more and
more desperate chaos due to the initial failure of the strike to be
neither decisive nor intelligent.

Any complaints I see in this thread with regards to the towns being "too tough" to
take down I simply cannot take seriously. The ability of three or four guys to
completely take down and capture a field was negated with the implementation
of the new town setup and I personally do not miss it at all.

I've my own ideas on the proper way to attack a field and effect the subsequent capture
of its town, but I'll not bore you with 'em here. My point of the post was merely to point
out that the current tactics being utilized in the main with regards to capturing fields
is neither well thought out, nor well implemented.  

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »
The reason they make it "harder and harder" is to keep the challenge up, and the boredom down. On top of that, if these players that "aren't very good at flying" are not trying to get better whats the point of playing? If you are always getting your butt handed to you doesn't that drive you to get better?

I'm not one that fights my fights the same way every time, mostly because I'd loose every time. The same goes for the base captures. If you do it the same way every time as soon as people see that your on-line they will defend the same way each time to defeat you. You must learn to adapt and change the plan on the fly. Adapting also covers the issue about the town building. Sure it's tuff to see which are up or down, but that is only because you haven't adapted to the new towns yet.

Basically if you can't take a base with 10 guys, your doing it wrong! Start thinking of the right way to do it!

Not everybody wants to get "better" at it. They enjoy what they are doing.
Not real sure why that would bother anybody.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2010, 04:59:11 PM »
Bottom line is there is no incentive other than to thrash the hopes and dreams of map jumpers to mount any defense in this game. Or to put yourself in any disadvantage. Find a way to reward those guys that fly in 1 vs 5s or that up on capped fields or even mount any sort of defense. Until then, people wont leave their comfort zone.

Yep, folks need incentives.  We seem to be at a place where neither furballing or base grabs are happening to the satisfaction of a dwindling player base. :frown:
I hereby shamelessly call attention to a recent threat I started on the Wishlist Forum: :bolt:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,298164.0.html
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:00:56 PM by Letalis »
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2010, 05:04:34 PM »
Here's a typical Rook "attack" on a small field.

(1) 6 guys, two of which have no clue what to hit
(2) the six guys attack the town, not killing the ack first
...<snip painfully true observations>

Yup, that's about what I've observed as well.  The crux of the matter is, should 4 half-drunk skilless jabos to be able to capture a base, or should it require some planning and ability?  Most of the rest of the game seems to require some ability to succeed, why should base taking be any different?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2010, 05:05:03 PM »
3 guys flying lancs. town dead.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
3 guys flying lancs. town dead.

That was out bread and butter squad play.  Those days are gone!  :cry
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
Not everybody wants to get "better" at it. They enjoy what they are doing.
Not real sure why that would bother anybody.

Don't believe that it does bother anyone.  What seems to bother people is the plea to cater to the least capable players, to make the game easier rather than harder.

- oldman

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »
Or Conspiracy?  :noid

How are ya Raider?

How you been Banshee7?  I'm doing well thank you.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »
Agreed, I have noticed dwindling numbers also.  Call me a nut, but if HTC doesn't fix this imbalance, the game is going to die.

It must be effecting their pocketbooks - HiTech replied.  :D

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2010, 05:18:05 PM »
That was out bread and butter squad play.  Those days are gone!  :cry

it's what we used to do in the hired guns. actually, we kinda overkilled. usually 4 or 5 of us in lancs.  :devil

if i recall, salvo 20, delay .25. one guy fly down the right side, then right center, center, left center, left. normally, not much, if anything left after that.

the problem i think this would have today, is that someone ain't gonna get bunches of points for that.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »
It's obvious HiTech is tweaking something to achive a balance of social dynamic and technology. Two questions come to mind.

1. Is he doing this based on his experience so as to achive a future goal that will take us all to another level?

2. Is an outside unknown pressure being brought to bear forcing a social outcome in this game.

Question one I vote is the normative for our situation and what we are suffering through is the natural trial and error involved with finding the right combination of factors to keep social groups entertained. Question two occasionaly looks like our situation in terms of primary K12 education when a parent or groups of parents decide doge ball is too violent because one of their kids got an Owey or came home crying that the big kids were targeting him. Usualy some busybody gets a lawyer behind the scenes, everything is done quietly and a week later no more doge ball ever again because big brother is watching out for a single whiney kid.

Now that we are all so nice to each other and spread out across multiple arenas. The game is a technical exercise in hiding from each other over vast landscapes, or bringing enough guys to take down a single town that it precludes really wanting to knock heads and have coazy whizzing matches. Furball Lake in the DA reminds me of the old days when a large portion of the MA population wanted to butt heads and get it on with each other over ch200. Back then you could find fights or they would be brought to you. Gotta wonder if we wild indians had to be put on the reservation to civilize the game.

We need a LWMA arena with a giant lake, 3 CV in the lake, 6 feilds per country. 2 GV and 3 airfeild all capturable. 1 hardened HQ airfeild uncapturable that you can launch only fighters C47, and M3 from as supplimental resupplyers. Radar from the grass to outer space. The arena has a timer that runs for 1-2 hours. You blow up everything and take everyones bases any way you can. You win when the timer ends the session and the country with the most bases wins. Arena resets, kicks everyone out, and the timer starts over. No CAP but ENY. An arena with a goal and mayhem that resets to cool of frustrations and hotheads.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TeeArr

• Copper Member
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
I cannot see where this "whine" has any merit.  Of COURSE it's difficult to take the towns down...it should be.  I have not seen any lack of base taking nor any complaints by most of the players in here.  If you cannot take a base, either learn to do something else, take a GV Base, or change your tactics so you can learn to take the towns as they are now.  The biggest hindrance to taking a town down is not learning where the buildings that need to be hit are.  I remember the same thing happening when people missed one of the churches in the old format.
Modify your behavior, learn what it now takes to do the job, and go for it.  
Life is tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid.

I agree 100% with Oddball-CAF as well... it's not good to be at the bottom of the learning curve.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
maybe if you guys come down from 20,000 you could see the buildings better.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »
Yup, that's about what I've observed as well.  The crux of the matter is, should 4 half-drunk skilless jabos to be able to capture a base, or should it require some planning and ability?  Most of the rest of the game seems to require some ability to succeed, why should base taking be any different?

Wiley.

Well, since there are hundreds of bases on these ludicrously sized maps with each base ultimately not meaning anything in the scheme of things, I say yes, 4 drunken skilless idiots should be able to capture a base assuming there is minimal resistance.