Author Topic: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD  (Read 23224 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2010, 12:15:15 PM »
and cartoon airplane behavior!!!!!!!!!!!!
It never used to be referred to as a cartoon game.  That is more a mark on the community we have today rather than the installed software.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2010, 12:15:28 PM »
<snip...>The point is combat - base captures are a means to generate the fights....
You could also argue that base taking is the point of the game, and fights happen as a result.  You do know that you get perks for winning the war, which without base taking wouldn't happen.  

There is more than one side to every story.  You pay your $15, and play your way, I'll do the same.  If you don't like my way, don't play that way, but don't belittle me for wanting some balance to a part of the game that others play, which has now been neutered.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:33 PM »
It never used to be referred to as a cartoon game.  That is more a mark on the community we have today rather than the installed software.

Wait.  It's not a game?
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
Wait.  It's not a game?
ok Ill make it easier for you.  "CARTOON" game.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2010, 12:47:32 PM »
ok Ill make it easier for you.  "CARTOON" game.

Hmmm.  I don’t see how that makes a difference, a game is a game. (I would have put the quotes in the larger font too. Just FYI)

Anyway, whether it is called a Cartoon Game, a toon game, or just a game, it is still amazing to me that such parallels from behavior in this game can be so closely related to real life.  We should explore this further, for example, we have already established in a different thread that flying with any inclination to survive equals a future prison sentence.  In this thread we have noticed that those who want towns to actually be capturable with a practical amount of people and minus a horde are also proponents of reduced education requirements for our nations children.  How many other striking parallels are there out there?

I propose that we insist that everyone plays AH immediately and we observe their game play.  After we have established their tendencies in-game we deal with them accordingly.  For example, parents can discover whether they need to save for their children’s college education.  If they fly to survive, they may as well cash it out and have a party and stimulate the economy because that little devil is heading straight to the clink.  That’s just one example of the tremendous benefit that can be derived from such a study as I propose. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2010, 12:50:35 PM »
You could also argue that base taking is the point of the game, and fights happen as a result.  You do know that you get perks for winning the war, which without base taking wouldn't happen.  

There is more than one side to every story.  You pay your $15, and play your way, I'll do the same.  If you don't like my way, don't play that way, but don't belittle me for wanting some balance to a part of the game that others play, which has now been neutered.

I don't think I've belittled anyone for playing the game their way.
I do know you get perks for winning the war, but I earn my perks (which I rarely use anyway) by engaging in combat and killing things.

Oh, and here's the quote from Hitech about combat and base-taking:

Some play the game to fulfill the actual parameters that it was designed for, which is to overcome and conquer bases, and eventually the country, thus winning the war/game.

This is a false assumption.

The game was designed to have fun at different types of combat. Conquering bases is just a means to promote combat and hence fun. But by no means is it more or less justified than going out and just mixing it up.

HiTech
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
I think You forgot an important thing: a target that can be take by just one player like a very small vfield. Why is it so? Because it is very funny.

I try to tell how.

You sort for that target that it is not difficult and you could take it easily but ... sometimes an happy gv enemy could be there and
the match becomes a little more difficult ... (you can say to him a lot of stupid things like "Damn You" or "Cheater!" or ask for some flight tricks) ... the match becomes more instructive if a con (just one) arrives to defend ... if you are luky then you shoot he down and you will see 2 next cons ... and so on but you mantain a certain probability to get the vbase. I did that many times in past, against some smart p38 pilots and it was superfunny. When you don't have to much time to fly because you work too much or for other problem this is (was) one of the best AH features also to meet some virtual fellows. Now I fly very few times and in DA.

The game strategy requires so many players to do just one thing. If You want to fight on air You must be in a super huge swarm.
Do you want to take a vbase? Same thing. This is not good. After work I want to relax !!! Not to be necessary busy to ck my six every millisecond and fight not istructive battle.

:salute

mobilis in mobile

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
I would just like to point out to all and sundry that SunBat is clearly a genius, and needs to be scooped up by the government immediately to enact some of these policies.  Well, he needs to be scooped up by the government at least... :lol

I think part of the issue that's causing frustration is the fact that the gigantic maps with hundreds of fields were designed around the old capture system.  Now that there's this giant wilderness of difficult to capture towns, it's less fun because where before, the horde rolling bases was being bolstered by the few small groups running around and capturing bases by themselves, now it's either extremely difficult, or involves joining the horde.

Just increasing the downtime of the town seems to me to be an extremely simple solution to this problem.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »
As much as it pains me to say this, I agree with some of what the base taking people/squads are saying.

1. The old town was far too small and far too easy for 3 guys to drop. A town capture could literally happen before anyone could get wheels up off the airfield. Currently, it takes too long so any surprise attained is wasted. If I was in charge, I'd keep the number of buildings, keep the down times on the buildings but decrease the hardness a bit to make them a bit easier to take down.

2. Radar NOE alts; I had made a 'wish' many years ago to change the NOE alt from 500 feet to 100 feet over water and 150 feet or so over land, I feel strongly that 75feet is too low. I also made the request that auto pilot level is DISABLED for anyone flying under 500 feet. This way, they couldn't set their altitude to a NOE alt and simply let the game do the work for them. If possible, I would recommend the required NOE altitude decrease slightly the closer they approach an active radar tower and have them always appear on radar if they are within visual/con range of the tower at the field to represent spotters/ATCs.
------
I have more but work is starting to pile up.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2010, 02:25:45 PM »
Do the base takers have any interest in actually fighting for a base?  OR is this more to do with getting on a base taking roll on a map?  My impression is that folks want to be able to get in quick, kill the town, FH and VH so as to allow no defense and to have the base with little effort.

Correct me if I'm wrong but It seems to be a lot of wanting it back to when it was quick, easy, few people involved and very little combat.
You’re not necessarily wrong, but you're ignoring the current extreme: now, airfields are horded/destroyed for the easy captures.  So much so, that the “WIN THE FITEZ” guys do not or are unable to up from a field under attack.  So the mythical perfect fur ball never materializes, and 30 enemy are in a holding pattern (waiting on a few vulches) while someone searches for that last building in town.

Another, presumably unintended, consequence is, on those rare occasions that a green horde ups in defense, the red horde shifts to another target.  One then has to race five green guys in hopes of getting a assist on a red straggler.

The game needs to be viewed as an ecosystem, and despite the demands of one group within that ecosystem its the tension between the ecosystem that enables it to thrive.
Didn’t Al Gore do a movie on this?
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2010, 02:30:22 PM »
-AoM-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #221 on: October 14, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »

I don't know about you, but the reference to cartoon pilots has been with me since my AW days started in 1996.  Just an acknowledgment that we aren't flying real planes.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
If ack were removed from towns as well as upping the downtime to 60 minutes, more bases would get taken (or attempted to get taken).
Ack should be even tougher over the base so that defenders can up and get into a semi-fair fight against the onslaught.

I prefer defending against base takers and lately it's been suicidal (with my limited "skill") to try to repulse the large numbers the bad guys send in.
Looking at some of the maps, I was wondering if HTC could add in extra spawn points - that penetrate beyond front line bases.  Opening up more fronts as well as making base takes easier would give more options for lower numbers to succeed and also divy up the giant hordes.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 14, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »
Hmm... just took another look at the numbers and noticed a sudden and massive drop in EW arena "activity" numbers (=kills in that arena) since we got the new towns and fields. Less than one quarter of the kills being made compared to the tours before.

EW had always suffered from having the very same settings as LW (ack, field sizes, downtimes), despite much less capable equipment. (Oh, and EW still has the huge 25miles dar rings)
But possibly the new towns and bases had an additional effect?

Now  some will say "Who cares, that was a milkrunner arena anyways".
Yes it was... but people fighting those milkrunners still got thousands of kills each tour. If there's no one left milking, no one will get shot down ;)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 02:59:25 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »
I don't know about you, but the reference to cartoon pilots has been with me since my AW days started in 1996.  Just an acknowledgment that we aren't flying real planes.
FWIW, Snoopy was the first cartoon pilot and that was way back in the 60s.

In the truncated AH community I rarely, if ever, saw the word cartoon used to describe the game until only the past few years.  In most uses the word cartoon is applied in a manner that belittles the game and anyone who plays the game seriously.