Author Topic: urgent topic: map rotation  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
urgent topic: map rotation
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:52:45 AM »
We do need the manual map reset back.

With the new peak/offpeak format, "winning" the maps under the old rules has become extremely difficult. Especially for the "peak" maps, which are now on for only a few hours a day. Players are getting increasingly bored/upset with being stuck on the same map for several weeks.

IMHO it's really necessary to reintroduce the manual reset&swap, either every week or every two weeks.

After that, we should quickly change the requirements for winning the war, so it's still a reachable goal for players. I suggest  my "basic idea" from another thread:

My basic idea:

1. Maps are up for 2 weeks at most, then they are rotated out. This is to prevent continuous stale situations and to get players totally bored if there's a map up they totally dislike.

2. And another strategic victory level, so that we have two:
Crushing Victory: The old one. capture 40% of both countries. Get 25 perks per category. Will be very difficult to pull of. Players can be "proud"... if they care ;)
Marginal Victory: When the arena resets, determine a winner. Chesspiece with the most bases or points (see my "advanced" idea below) is declared to have won. Get 10 perks per category. Much easier, but smaller carrot.

Advantage: War winners have a reachable goal , but overall nothing much changes for everyone else. No need to downtune base captures or anything else. A Crushing Victory will be the ultimate, but very challenging & rare goal.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: urgent topic: map rotation
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:44:55 AM »
+1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:01:07 AM »
or keep the off peak map  up in blue  so it still gets played on  peak times for continuity. 

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 06:08:03 AM »
+1 to Lusche and +1 for Bruv
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »
and put in the bigger maps. 
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:13:03 AM »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 06:14:59 AM »
and put in the bigger maps. 

I hope you are not talking about offpeak...

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 06:24:27 AM »
yes i am
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 06:26:07 AM »
yes i am

40 players all over a large map? I don't think this is going to improve the gameplay experience...

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 06:29:46 AM »
and 40 players furballing around a couple bases is better?
S! 68KO
S! A8WB

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 06:33:42 AM »
and 40 players furballing around a couple bases is better?

Combat is much better. It's hard to have any kind of combat with 16 players on each side spread out on a large map

On a large map with numbers like we have now, you are hunting single dots across the map. And it's not that you have only "furballs" with so few players on a small map. There is still plenty of room

Right now, we just do not have the numbers at offpeak to support large maps. And this is coming from someone who lobbied hard to get the big maps back years ago.

5 mins ago. 50 players in arena.

But if you really want large maps back, I suggest starting a seperate, genuine thread here in the Wishlist Forum on that topic ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:43:27 AM by Lusche »

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 06:42:54 AM »
combat is great.  if u want to furball fine.  u can still do it wth larger maps.  plus if u look at the numbers flying right now, u will see low numbers.  i believe the maps are a direct result.
S! 68KO
S! A8WB

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 06:43:53 AM »
and a few minutes before that there was 40 players
S! 68KO
S! A8WB

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 06:47:22 AM »
combat is great.  if u want to furball fine.  u can still do it wth larger maps.  plus if u look at the numbers flying right now, u will see low numbers.  i believe the maps are a direct result.

Why are players always throwing that "furball" moniker around instead of real arguments? I am no furballer at all.

And no, the low numbers are not a "direct result" of the small maps - because numbers are in steady decline for years now, and we do have small maps in offpeak only since three weeks ago.

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 06:50:43 AM »
furball is a real term.  its what happens when u shove people in a tight spot wth little choices of where to go and what to do.
S! 68KO
S! A8WB