Author Topic: urgent topic: map rotation  (Read 2747 times)

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
Re: urgent topic: map rotation
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 06:52:38 AM »
-1000000000....if we are stuck with new cap system...we are stuck with maps forever.....and maybe if nits and rooks would have fought each other on 1 day I can remember, maybe one of those sides would have won.
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 06:56:16 AM »
edit
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:05:54 AM by HawkerMKII »

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 06:59:18 AM »
me and puter having bad day....sorry
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:04:51 AM by HawkerMKII »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 07:06:14 AM »
If we do auto reset then this is nothing but a furball XBOX shotem up game.  :bolt:

You are aware we had an auto reset for years, up to about three weeks ago?  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 07:06:53 AM »
I also think there is a knock on effect of the boot.

Early morning people are just logging off instead of going back in to the off peak arena they are going to bed rather than thinking just one more flight.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 07:09:18 AM »
good point
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 07:09:52 AM »
You are aware we had an auto reset for years, up to about three weeks ago?  ;)

Yes I do, but someone came up with new cap idea so we should live with what we have :salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »
Yes I do, but someone came up with new cap idea so we should live with what we have :salute

I fail to see the logic in that. You are saying when there has been a change in the framework / general conditions, there should be never any adjustment for that?

-----------

Just for information: With the new setup (big towns in tour 126, new arena system in tour 130) the relative rate of base captures (measured in manhours played per capture) has been dropped to about one quarter (The net number of captures has dropped even more). At the same time the amount of time a peak map is up has also dropped to one third. All while the requirements for a victory (and thus an arena reset) are still the same.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
Looking at your last post, Lusche, I see two things :

1) I feel as if I have been following you around the past few days, oddly enough?  :headscratch:

2) Maybe Hitech should adjust requirements for a country to "win", in lieu (there it is again...) of a new map?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 10:19:03 AM »
Maybe I don’t have any logic from what I said, maybe just some observations. Back in the GOOD old days of AH, to have a map reset side A had to capture side B or C’s HQ. What became of this, “HT they are ganging us” and yes that was so very true(still happens today, knights seem to be on that side more often) So, HT or whomever  come up with idea, Side A has to have 90% of their fields and 40% of B and C’s sides, making reset a bit harder. “HT they are porking the fuel at our base, we can’t fly to 30 k and pick”. Another idea, only able to pork fuel down to 75%, taking part of strat killing out of game making it a bit harder to reset map. “HT the towns are to small, one guy can take down a town”. Another idea(which I like) make towns bigger, making it a lot harder to reset map. “HT the NOE’s are killing the game”. So lets change the radar to what ever it was so no more NOE’s, map reset bit harder, (I guess now it’s back up to some unknown level that I don’t know). “HT I can’t play with my squad mates”. Here’s the good one, Titanic Tuesday and 1 week to reset map, bit harder to do on the larger maps, wouldn’t you say. What also came out of this was AUTO reset of maps every Wednesday if I remember right.
 “HT the Euro players can’t get into arena”. Next idea (I think this one is great, everyone should be able to play). Okay, so where are we at now? Arena A goes from this time till that time, then we open up arena B and C till this time, then re-open Arena A and all arena’s will be saved until that arena rolls around again the maps will NEVER seem to get reset. The mind set of the players has gone down hill in this game for a long time, I myself am a Win Z War guy, but it seem that fewer players are like that. More players on all sides are more of the “I got to get up get 5 kills  and get my name in lights fast” or “Don’t take that base we want a good gv battle” type of players. The strategy in this game has gone by the way side in my opinion , so what we have now is never win the war and no map reset and we should live with it. If your bored with the maps come up with some good strategy and take the map. We cry and complain and sometimes HT listens and sometimes he says “GROW UP”!

(This was written with no coffee and no cigarettes, so if it don’t make any sense oh well ) :salute
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:21:21 AM by HawkerMKII »

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 10:30:27 AM »
and put in the bigger maps. 
All that happens on bigger maps are roving whords who lay waste to empty bases, never coming into contact with each other. Small maps, the whords and the furballers are forced to interact
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »
...The mind set of the players has gone down hill in this game for a long time, I myself am a Win Z War guy, but it seem that fewer players are like that. More players on all sides are more of the “I got to get up get 5 kills  and get my name in lights fast” or “Don’t take that base we want a good gv battle” type of players. The strategy in this game has gone by the way side in my opinion , so what we have now is never win the war and no map reset and we should live with it. If your bored with the maps come up with some good strategy and take the map. We cry and complain and sometimes HT listens and sometimes he says “GROW UP”!

(This was written with no coffee and no cigarettes, so if it don’t make any sense oh well ) :salute

What I find amusing is that I bet if you asked many of the more furball oriented players I'm guessing most would say that players these days are less interested in air combat and more interested in joining the horde and trying to steam roll bases. :)

One other thing that seems to crop up in threads (and not related to the above quote) that either start out as or turn into a furball vs base-takers discussion is the idea the "combat = furball" which I think isn't accurate at all.  In my tiny little mind a good base capture is a lot like a good furball, heavily contested and with an abundance of combat.  

Like anything I also think there are good furballs and bad ones.  When the "furballer" type player despairingly describes a base capture it's often as a horde, or NOE w/out a chance to defend which certainly happen but aren't the only examples that could be used.  Likewise the "strat" player often calls furballs mindless and pickfests, which while some furballs are little more than a high group picking the other with little chance to maneuver (something I find equally boring) others are nail biting affairs with a great deal of team work and strategy/tactics employed.   I think we're all better off if we started looking at the various parts of gameplay with a little wider view.

Ramble over, time for some coffee. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »
... The mind set of the players has gone down hill in this game for a long time, I myself am a Win Z War guy, but it seem that fewer players are like that. More players on all sides are more of the “I got to get up get 5 kills  and get my name in lights fast” or “Don’t take that base we want a good gv battle” type of players. The strategy in this game has gone by the way side in my opinion , so what we have now is never win the war and no map reset and we should live with it. If your bored with the maps come up with some good strategy and take the map. ...

I think theres alot of truth in that, ive noticed alot more defensive play recently. The new towns may make it a bit harder for a capture, but not enough to account for the drop in captures. I think the players are a much bigger factor. I dont know whether there are less players with the knowhow to take bases (or at least attack them) or whether less players can be bothered, but the capture system is what creates decent fights in AH.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »
I think theres alot of truth in that, ive noticed alot more defensive play recently. The new towns may make it a bit harder for a capture, but not enough to account for the drop in captures.

It is the towns. You can see that statistically. The number of captures per played hours had been very stable for years. The moment the new towns were introduced this number radically changed. Which is no wonder, as it takes much more effort to kill more buildings (which also means the time frame for a successful capture is much smaller), it's more difficult to see if all are down, and of course it's much easier for a small number of defenders to hold a town.

The knowhow, respectively the attitude of the players doesn't change that drastically from one tour to the next one.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:54:33 AM by Lusche »

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »
It is the towns. You can see that statistically. The number of captures per played hours had been very stable for years. The moment the new towns were introduced this number radically changed. Which is no wonder, as it takes much more effort to kill more buildings (which also means the time frame for a successful capture is much smaller), it's more difficult to see if all are down, and of course it's much easier for a small number of defenders to hold a town.

The knowhow, respectively the attitude of the players doesn't change that drastically from one tour to the next one.
are the town buildings themselves harder to destroy also?

and i seem to have found a simple way to kill a town. bring 300 110s 200 lancasters and 100 goons (just to make sure that we got all the buildings down)...

now to defend a town, sit a panzer at both crossroads with one/two more on the side roads leading into town. you have a multiple defensive line stretching the town with 3-4 players.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy