Author Topic: Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station  (Read 9753 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Wow, Carpet bombing at a whole new threshold!

Hitech, make the bases and towns bigger quick!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
I thought the 20mm was removed because it suffered from jamming up too often?....

I thought the 20mm was removed because the Japanese complained it was unbalanced?...

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Tours 86 - 296

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
awesome... :aok
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
I thought the 20mm was removed because it suffered from jamming up too often?....

I already stated why it was removed and it was not due to the reliability of the 20mm cannon.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
That was my first thought, he was bombing a GV spawn!

That reminds me of the B-52 Arclight (SP?) strikes...

Strip
Yes you spelled it correctly . I have been to the memorial .

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
That's just begging for an Me410 with 103s, lots of 151s, or a BK5.

Looks like the bomb bay doors open much slower than the real thing. :headscratch:
Just an aesthetic worry - IIRC bomb doors are functionally open, instantly.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:14:55 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
That's just begging for an Me410 with 103s, lots of 151s, or a BK5.

What's the speed & climbrate of a 410 with the BK5 at 30k?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
What's the speed & climbrate of a 410 with the BK5 at 30k?  :headscratch:
Prolly as bad as trying to get an Il2 up there.  But the lighter 103 loadouts might be agile enough..  Now I have to look it up.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Yes you spelled it correctly . I have been to the memorial .

My Dad was a Forward Observer (Ranger) with the 173rd ABN from 66-68, two tours,  and called in 20+ Arclight CAS missions.  He said at 1 mile it could make your ears bleed and knock you off your feet.  He said one mission was so close, it threw his 45 out of his holster and he never found it.  His radio man was deaf for a week.

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Just an aesthetic worry - IIRC bomb doors are functionally open, instantly.
This film shows the doors opening more slowly than I recalled from previous sources.  There could very well be multiple modes the doors could be operated under allowing for different needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5veRsZ_nEpQ

Very interesting.  This is a fantastic plane and should be quite the experience in AH.

<edit> Looking at the film HTC released, the doors in that instance appeared to open at a speed comparable to the actual film I referenced.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:37:25 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Prolly as bad as trying to get an Il2 up there.  But the lighter 103 loadouts might be agile enough..  Now I have to look it up.

I found data for the 410A-1/U2 doing 390mph@ ~22,000ft and only 375 mph at 25,800ft. So I'd guess it will be significant slower than that at 30k, and that's without  a heavy Mk 103. According to the chart AKAK posted some time ago, the B-29 had a top speed around 348mph at that altitude.
Even when assuming a slightly (but not much) slower speed for the 29, the 410 would make a very bad interceptor if the player choses to fly the B-29 at that alt. And I think that could  be the case quite often, if the 29 gets a heavy perk tag. (That was my experience with Lancaster sorties in EW too).

Actually most fighters will struggle to combat the B-29 at that altitude. I can think of only a few that are really suited for that role.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
The DB603As make roughly half as much power at 30 kft.  I'm not sure if I have info to make a powerloading comparison with other planes in AH at 30 kft.
and that's without  a heavy Mk 103.
The overall numbers aren't flattering, but you've basically got powerloading halved (very roughly) from sea level power, and only ~10% penalty from a standard cfg (the basic 2x12.7mm + 2x20mm) to heaviest (BK5), and 5% penalty from 6x20mm or 2x103 to a BK5 loadout.  So really not much difference across the board.

I'm thinking 410 because the expense in setting up a few passes seems possibly worth the benefit of the 410's extra firepower. As long as the B-29 is no faster than the interceptors considered, I think it's doable.  I expect (been out of the game forever, so don't recall exact numbers, only overall trends) a 410 doing a few dozen MPH more than a B-29 is still manageable.  It's only with really slow interceptors (e.g. B25H) that you really don't get more than a few passes and then get helplessly get left behind.

What the overall picture looks like is a lot like the standard Luftwaffe MO - only as much effectiveness from the plane as the pilot provides in discipline.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you