Author Topic: $58.00  (Read 3606 times)

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
Re: $58.00
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »
CAP is right to a certain point.  Gas stations make very little on their fuel sales though.  The problem with demand for oil is that it's very dynamic in the fact that the U.S. (while being the biggest consumer) only affects part of the total equation.  

If demand goes WAY down in the U.S. the prices will drop...  For the U.S.  The oil companies would try to cut their losses by driving the prices up elsewhere, increasing international shipping prices for imports and exports.  That would lead to inflation of prices on other items.  When it comes down to it, it's a balancing act.  Until we find another source of fuel that can be used to power more than just cars, the oil companies will still hold most of the cards.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »
Avoiding the political implications, we could reduce our demand by driving more fuel efficient and smaller vehicles, no need to drive a Ford F350 to work if you work at an office building and drive on paved streets.

I (respectfully)  disagree, My wife drives a 2010 2500 series 4dr Silverado to work, and works in an office. The reason she drives this (other than she fell in love with driving my 2005 4DR Silverado) was partly my doing. I had absolutely no qualms buying her her own truck. I like to think shes much safer driving a big heavy truck, just in case she were to get into an accident. Both are also used to haul around our littleones (kids) and they are much safer in our trucks, than in a small(er)  car. Couple that with the fact that i honestly think drivers (around here anyway) are getting worse. I think they rely on the fact that thier cars are new and high tech, and in being so, think their high tech cars will make up for them driving like morons.
I actually sleep better knowing that shes wrapped in a big steel beast. :aok

As far as the gas, yea its a bit expensive, but i wouldnt have bought the truck, if I couldnt afford to put the gas in it.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »
I agree mbailey about being safe .I have notice that people don't pull out in front of my big 4X4 like they will in my ranger .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2011, 02:25:28 PM »
Just be glad your fuel doesn't cost $15 a gallon like mine does...

:devil

Ryan Norton

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »
Actually, safety in a pickup is misleading.  By NTHSA records, you're 4 times more likely to be in a rollover accident in a truck/SUV than a passenger car or minivan.  Surely there's peace of mind, but that doesn't equate to being safer.  

On the other hand, in a pickup/SUV vs. passenger car accident, the car's passengers are 2 times as likely to suffer injuries than the passengers in the larger vehicle.  

All in all, with the safety systems in late model vehicles, it's a toss up.  If you can afford it and it makes you feel safer, so be it.  I also see idiots in SUV's and trucks that think they're invincible that pay no mind to people in cars and on motorcycles.  For instance, there's an obliviot (oblivious idiot) soccer mom type that barrels down my road every day in her suburban.  Most of the time you see her, she's got her cellphone plastered to her ear, doing 50 in a 35.  Is she safer than me in her urban assault Suburban?  Possibly.  Is she more of a danger to everyone else?  Yes.  

The knife cuts two ways gents.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2011, 02:28:28 PM »
Just be glad your fuel doesn't cost $15 a gallon like mine does...

:devil

Ryan Norton
i only paid $13 a gallon for purple last year.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
Actually, safety in a pickup is misleading.  By NTHSA records, you're 4 times more likely to be in a rollover accident in a truck/SUV than a passenger car or minivan.  Surely there's peace of mind, but that doesn't equate to being safer.  

On the other hand, in a pickup/SUV vs. passenger car accident, the car's passengers are 2 times as likely to suffer injuries than the passengers in the larger vehicle.  

All in all, with the safety systems in late model vehicles, it's a toss up.  If you can afford it and it makes you feel safer, so be it.  I also see idiots in SUV's and trucks that think they're invincible that pay no mind to people in cars and on motorcycles.  For instance, there's an obliviot (oblivious idiot) soccer mom type that barrels down my road every day in her suburban.  Most of the time you see her, she's got her cellphone plastered to her ear, doing 50 in a 35.  Is she safer than me in her urban assault Suburban?  Possibly.  Is she more of a danger to everyone else?  Yes.  

The knife cuts two ways gents.

obliviot....i LIKE that!!  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
obliviot....i LIKE that!!  :aok

I stole it from a radio show that I heard about 10 years back...  For the life of me I can't remember who said it though.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2011, 02:33:14 PM »
Avoiding the political implications, we could reduce our demand by driving more fuel efficient and smaller vehicles, no need to drive a Ford F350 to work if you work at an office building and drive on paved streets. Although we may feel we don't have control over everything, we can control ourself, and adaptation begins with you.

Less demand == lower prices (baring supply doesn't change)
i think you're wrong...the majority of automobiles on the road are more fuel efficient than they were 10-15 years ago...yet fuel prices have continued to rise to the current price...it's not just the speculators or demand that is driving the prices up either, it's a combination of the speculators manipulating the value and the oil producing middle eastern countries slowing production to drive prices up...if saudi arabia says they are cutting production by a million barrels a day, every other oil producing middle eastern country follows suit...then the propaganda machine kicks in and the public has to swallow the poop while a very small number of people get filthy rich.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dadano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »
Dano, we weren't talking politics bro.  Just fuel prices and currency possibilities.  Let's not bring politics into the thread.
Rog.

Although, there isn't much to talk about in regard to energy prices if politics are left out of the dialog. It's 90% of the equation.

I'll stay out, carry on.
Dano
Army of Muppets

"Furballing is a disease, and we are the cure... Oink."
-Twitchy

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
There are so many people driving that full size SUV that can barely afford the payment, insurance, and maintenance, let alone the fuel.

I have no sympathy for them.  There are so many people who over-spend themselves and then they complain that they dont make enough money or costs are too high.

People have no clue how easy they have it in the USA, they would have no clue what to do if they had to ration food, fuel, and other such necessities.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »
There are so many people driving that full size SUV that can barely afford the payment, insurance, and maintenance, let alone the fuel.

I have no sympathy for them.  There are so many people who over-spend themselves and then they complain that they dont make enough money or costs are too high.

People have no clue how easy they have it in the USA, they would have no clue what to do if they had to ration food, fuel, and other such necessities.   

There are a lot who can afford it too. It's all part of being born American.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »
Try filling this beast up (my '71 Charger) with super, then add on top of that, Lead substitute and octane boost...

It's all relative... Play...you pay.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »
Nice looking Charger you got there Stampf ..
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »
i think you're wrong...the majority of automobiles on the road are more fuel efficient than they were 10-15 years ago...yet fuel prices have continued to rise to the current price...it's not just the speculators or demand that is driving the prices up either, it's a combination of the speculators manipulating the value and the oil producing middle eastern countries slowing production to drive prices up...if saudi arabia says they are cutting production by a million barrels a day, every other oil producing middle eastern country follows suit...then the propaganda machine kicks in and the public has to swallow the poop while a very small number of people get filthy rich.

Despite the improvements in efficiency, demand has actually increased significantly in the past 30 years, so yes, we are using more now then we were 30 years ago. Demand is greater == higher price as supply has not kept up with demand.

It's all part of being born American.
I know your comment was tung in check, but being an American is not a license to not take responsibility for ones actions, nor would most Americans agree to being ignorant about the consequences of their decisions.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:18:07 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)