Author Topic: Met A Fellow The Other Night  (Read 6829 times)

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
Met A Fellow The Other Night
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
It was fairly late at night, only about 100 people on total.  This guy was upping M4's repeatedly and very determinedly trying to take down (as I found out later) the radar on a Bish airbase.  Well, he was obviously a newb as he died gloriously and repeatedly first from a couple of aircraft, then from me in a GV.  Eventually, he slowed down and I PM'd him about one of his tactics being a bad idea.  He responded and I learned he'd been told a number of things from his Knit "countrymen" as this was his first night in the game. 

First and foremost was that Alt - F4 would get him out of trouble (which it did of course, sending him to Windows).  Then they told him that smoke would kill enemy tanks and use lots of it (the tactic I called him on).  Further they told him to attack until he took out the radar no matter what cause they were sending a mission in to capture.  Of course, over a half hour or more, no mission ever got started even after the radar went down.

Over the radio, in text, I talked to him for awhile and offered some much more accurate advice, etc.  Most surprised was he when he found out he could change countries, as I guess he'd been told he couldn't.  He changed to Bish.  And though a newb, we're happy to have him.  He learns real fast.  That very night after I told him how to level bomb, he dropped 2 hangers at a Knit base with pinpoint, single salvos in a single pass.

The point of this is, I was appalled that veteran players would jerk around a new guy like that (there was other inaccurate "advice" as well).  And this guy was NOT a kid.  In fact, he was older than most of us and very interested in learning the new game he'd just found.  Frankly, even though they were Knits, I'm was a bit ashamed of for the community as a whole.  This is not what we need to keep the game alive and fun.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Met A Fellow The Other Night
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
WTG Sloehand.

<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:51:16 AM »
Hence the reason our rotation into Knitland, which is scheduled for 2 months, normally only last a month or less.  Although we try to get along with everyone, the knits seem to have an overabundance of arrogant @%%holes.

Thanks Sloehand for helping him.   :rock
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »
yeah, that alt+f4 thing is stupid and tiresome...  :salute good job sloehand...i don't personally have the patience because every other time i've tried to help someone, they don't have a mic for vox and they refuse to read the plethora of information on the trainers website.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »
Good job Sloe.

Should out the pranksters that were feeding him the b.s. That's just garbage behavior.
See Rule #4

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »
I was lucky on my first day back in March of 2007.  I had upped at a base with some very respectable men (what I later found out was a squad composed mainly of family members).  On that night I was invited in their squad (on the first night I ever played!), and I learned so much from them.

Through the years, I haven't seen much of this behavior.  It's really sad than some "adults" would take advantage of the newer guys of all ages.  Sloehand, I #S# you for what you did.  You clearly showed some class there, and I wish there were many more like you.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:09:57 PM »
What a stupid move, to try and drive new players away.

I'm glad no one did that to me when I first started.

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »
Another my chess piece is better than your chess piece thread.   :banana: :bhead
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 12:22:26 PM »
Another my chess piece is better than your chess piece thread.   :banana: :bhead
We found one person who was giving him bad info... :lol
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »
WTG Sloehand.  I have a lot of respect for guys that take the new guys under their wings and show them the ropes.  I do ok answering short direct questions, but I just don't have it in me to teach someone how to use the game from the bottom up.  That takes a level of commitment and patience I just don't have in me when I'm ingame.  Bravo to you.  I don't think it's a Knit only thing, I've seen it happen everywhere.

The bad thing about the Alt-F4 thing isn't that it drops the person to the desktop.  It's what Gyrene said, it's tiresome and worst of all, bland and uncreative.  It's the most ancient of lame online 'pranks'.  Now with that said, anyone who gets upset enough over that being done to them to leave probably would leave the first time they get picked anyways...  Still, it's shallow, and pedantic. (yes, I am well aware of the irony of using an overused Family Guy quote to describe something that's overused)  :aok

I just don't get why people feel the need to abuse new guys.  Frankly, I get that some people don't want to hear newbie questions.  That's great, I am often not in the mood for it either.  The difference is, it's harmful to browbeat them when a simple .squelch newguy means you're not subjected to his newguy questions, and you can get on with your evening.  Silent, painless for you, painless for the new guy who's probably quite overwhelmed looking at all there is to do in this game for the first time.

Is it really that hard to shut up and let the guys who are so inclined help him?

Now, on the other side of things, I still firmly believe that 'Go to the training site' is a perfectly valid answer to a lot of newguy questions.  The trainers can help the guy a heckuva lot more than a lot of people ingame, IMO.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
I suspect a minority group (a squad most likely) if it's as late as you suggest they would probably make up the bulk of the knits.

Most times I'm on we are quite accomodating. We try to answer at least "so many" questions newbies have before suggesting the TA or the forums, things like that.

Generally speaking the knits are quite friendly and nice to newbies. I think that a select lot of jerk-offs there were being mean. Shame on them.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »
Oh lord, really? Its a tradition to mess with the "newbs" like that. Hell, I got all the tricks pulled on me when I started.
Pat yourself on the back sloe. Im cooking up some cookies. Want one?
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:24 PM »
How do we really know that "vets" told him all this info and not some other newbs, i try to help people when i can time permitting, some like the advice some don't and some take offense to suggestions
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »
Frankly, I get that some people don't want to hear newbie questions.  That's great, I am often not in the mood for it either.

While it may be the new guys responsibility to do a little learnin' on his own folks need to remember that although it's the 10,000th time you've been asked the question it's the first time the new guy has asked it.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
How do we really know that "vets" told him all this info and not some other newbs, i try to help people when i can time permitting, some like the advice some don't and some take offense to suggestions

Wait a minute Zoom, that's not what you told me when i was first asking on country channel about how to get my gear up in the Stuka... :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!