Author Topic: I hate The Beatles  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Hannibal

• Zinc Member
Re: I hate The Beatles
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
saying black dog was ripped off from "Oh well"..which I just listened to....is quit a stretch :headscratch:

I am not a musician in any way shape or form but I love music, how is it ripped off explain it to me because I don't hear it.

"Ripped off" was a bit of a stretch. I should have said "inspired" like Page supposedly said he was by the song. Though I can hear a slight similarity in the riff, it was mainly the start/stop of the song. If you want to hear a great example of a zep rip off, listen to this song that cattb just reminded me of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM8_HuQ0b34

BTW I'm not saying these guys are wrong for stealing ideas from other people. Everyone does it. All I am saying is give credit where credit is due. And that credit can work both ways. For example, Dylan and Hendrix with All Along the Watchtower: (Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day."[25] In the booklet accompanying his Biograph album, Dylan said: "I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way.")

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »
kind of amazing when ever anyone gets inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame they thank

Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
The Beatles
The Kinks

I think I will go with what the real professionals and stars of rock & roll consider - not some want to be rock stars who may have played at the local county fair which is what the majority of the musicians on here are....

The Beatles where the first to use

Good list, and a very correct order.

A bridge in their songs
dual track taping
2 singers singing lead vocals together

and many more innovations....

my 2 cents

NwBie

:cool:

Looks like a very correct order of influence
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2011, 09:13:18 PM »
"Ripped off" was a bit of a stretch. I should have said "inspired" like Page supposedly said he was by the song. Though I can hear a slight similarity in the riff, it was mainly the start/stop of the song. If you want to hear a great example of a zep rip off, listen to this song that cattb just reminded me of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM8_HuQ0b34

BTW I'm not saying these guys are wrong for stealing ideas from other people. Everyone does it. All I am saying is give credit where credit is due. And that credit can work both ways. For example, Dylan and Hendrix with All Along the Watchtower: (Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day."[25] In the booklet accompanying his Biograph album, Dylan said: "I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way.")

:aok

I do very much enjoy Hendrix

and that song "Oh well" is great I can see why it inspired Page

far more people have ripped off Led Zeppelin then they ripped off :aok

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »
Looks like a very correct order of influence
I like to add
Robert Johnson  :) though he was strickly blues
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
The Beatles
The Kinks

:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
more then the fourth Album made em go :O

im old now a days and cant remember all the records they broke, but I know they are the most requested band ever.

they broke ALL the beatles records for attendance.

A lot of people who hate Zeppelin-pure case of envy, because they are so popular now and for the last 40 years...even though they haven't put out a Album in...what 1980......When they were together they were the most dissed band in America by the critics, they hated on Zepp bad....they were banned from many a city. ( this was mostly due to the riots that accompanied their concerts)

many many musicians state Zeppelin as their influences....Ive been around, I am not some regular dood, Ive tattooed probably over 50,000 people, maybe double that
I have met many a band member and so many of them list Zepp as the best....

every band today owes Led Zeppelin.....EVERYONE in the music business owes them..why?....you ask....before Zeppelin the Arena and record companies took most of the money made by the band playing there. it was Peter Grant, Zeppelin's manager that changed all that, he forced them to give more money to the bands and then when the record companies didn't wanna play ball he went and made his own record company.

I don't know, whatever, I do know that I personally absolutely love Zeppelin, they do not have one bad song, NOT one....I can listen to them every day and never get tired of hearing them.

There are MANY "Filler tunes" on Zeppelin albums.    Every band has em, that is why they are called it.   Even Pink Floyd, Queen, The Who The Beatles, Stones, every band has em, including Zeppelin.

Understand that The Who (and yes, even Elton John) had been at "larger arenas" prior to Zeppelin (who didn't hit the arenas until Physical Graffiti).   Peter Grant (not Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac  :devil) was a borderline felon as well, but yes he "changed the way gate receipts were handled".   I have always liked Zeppelin, but the older I get, the less I listen to them.    I have their catalog, but what vexes me on how a songwriter can REGULARLY forget his own lyrics and he did it OFTEN (Peep Misty Mountain hop and The Ocean from The Song Remains The Same for starters).    Simply put, I've talked to many folks who saw them live and they concur "They were a better studio band, than Live.   Live they were drunk, stoned and sometimes horrible to listen too."   This from the mouths of people who saw them live, not my opinion.

On to The Beatles and Magical Mystery Tour.   The Beatles are a whole different element.     For starters, Pet Sounds was released and it lit a fire under The Beatles.    McCartney to this day calls "God Only Knows "the greatest song ever penned" and he's right.    So the Sgt. Pepper comes out and this album changed the rules as well.    They were getting ripped off by Alex the Whiz Kid on a "32 track studio that never went past 8".   Paul McCartney threatened to "leave EMI because the quality of the initial cardboard sleeve of the album was too thin".    He made them spend more money up front, "so the cardboard would last".    Also understand that without the Beatles at that time playing to 60,000+ in the baseball stadiums, you wouldn't have had the "higher wattage guitar amps"in production as fast.    The Beatles even made bets on "How fast we can do a show since all they want to do was scream".    Per John in an interview "it was just a shade over 16 minutes".    But the fans didn't care.

After Sgt Pepper was released, Brian Epstein died and from the time they broke up in 1970, you had a rudderless ship.    Brian had somehow managed to quell every ego in the band and "always seem to make it work".    This dynamic was gone and you had Lennon singing "I'm Crying" in "I Am the Walrus", which was in direct reference to Epstein's passing.  The Apple Boutique failed, their label barely stayed afloat and by 1971 had become a travesty.   

Now back to Zeppelin.   Zeppelin has just completed being sued over Dazed and Confused in June 2010.....they lost.    NOW the credits will give proper credit, where it is due.    As for the "blues artists that no one ever heard" comment.   Zeppelin ripped them off, point blank and it is factually agreed within the music community.    Willie Dixon is one of my favorites to listen to outside of Leadbelly and all they had to do was "ask".    They rolled the dice and lost.    Which Peter Grant admitted in later interviews that he "thought about doing what was right, instead of what we did".    I have the DVD and have in turn made no less than 20 friends and family members BUY IT.    It IS good and it pisses me off that they sat on this stuff for as long as they did.    The fans deserved this being released even the live material on CD, Cassette, or even Vinyl.    The fans would have given them more money.

I just got back from the Stone Temple Pilots concert, I am now tired and my PBR is finished.   Good night gentlemen.   :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Orbitson

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2011, 11:40:09 PM »
The Beatles Rock!!!...I have no complaints...but please...please have sympathy for the devil...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT1KRZOK4VE
Syd*****Flying with The Floyd
By the way which one is Pink?

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2011, 12:31:04 AM »
Mark Knopfler.... damn the commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY&feature=related

Carlos Santana (The most underrated axe-man of all time.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mieXtqGSR_Y

Clapton gave his seat on a helicopter to Stevie Ray Vaughn. Oh what might have been.....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:33:00 AM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2011, 01:06:45 AM »
There are MANY "Filler tunes" on Zeppelin albums.    Every band has em, that is why they are called it.   Even Pink Floyd, Queen, The Who The Beatles, Stones, every band has em, including Zeppelin.

Understand that The Who (and yes, even Elton John) had been at "larger arenas" prior to Zeppelin (who didn't hit the arenas until Physical Graffiti).   Peter Grant (not Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac  :devil) was a borderline felon as well, but yes he "changed the way gate receipts were handled".   I have always liked Zeppelin, but the older I get, the less I listen to them.    I have their catalog, but what vexes me on how a songwriter can REGULARLY forget his own lyrics and he did it OFTEN (Peep Misty Mountain hop and The Ocean from The Song Remains The Same for starters).    Simply put, I've talked to many folks who saw them live and they concur "They were a better studio band, than Live.   Live they were drunk, stoned and sometimes horrible to listen too."   This from the mouths of people who saw them live, not my opinion.

On to The Beatles and Magical Mystery Tour.   The Beatles are a whole different element.     For starters, Pet Sounds was released and it lit a fire under The Beatles.    McCartney to this day calls "God Only Knows "the greatest song ever penned" and he's right.    So the Sgt. Pepper comes out and this album changed the rules as well.    They were getting ripped off by Alex the Whiz Kid on a "32 track studio that never went past 8".   Paul McCartney threatened to "leave EMI because the quality of the initial cardboard sleeve of the album was too thin".    He made them spend more money up front, "so the cardboard would last".    Also understand that without the Beatles at that time playing to 60,000+ in the baseball stadiums, you wouldn't have had the "higher wattage guitar amps"in production as fast.    The Beatles even made bets on "How fast we can do a show since all they want to do was scream".    Per John in an interview "it was just a shade over 16 minutes".    But the fans didn't care.

After Sgt Pepper was released, Brian Epstein died and from the time they broke up in 1970, you had a rudderless ship.    Brian had somehow managed to quell every ego in the band and "always seem to make it work".    This dynamic was gone and you had Lennon singing "I'm Crying" in "I Am the Walrus", which was in direct reference to Epstein's passing.  The Apple Boutique failed, their label barely stayed afloat and by 1971 had become a travesty.   

Now back to Zeppelin.   Zeppelin has just completed being sued over Dazed and Confused in June 2010.....they lost.    NOW the credits will give proper credit, where it is due.    As for the "blues artists that no one ever heard" comment.   Zeppelin ripped them off, point blank and it is factually agreed within the music community.    Willie Dixon is one of my favorites to listen to outside of Leadbelly and all they had to do was "ask".    They rolled the dice and lost.    Which Peter Grant admitted in later interviews that he "thought about doing what was right, instead of what we did".    I have the DVD and have in turn made no less than 20 friends and family members BUY IT.    It IS good and it pisses me off that they sat on this stuff for as long as they did.    The fans deserved this being released even the live material on CD, Cassette, or even Vinyl.    The fans would have given them more money.

I just got back from the Stone Temple Pilots concert, I am now tired and my PBR is finished.   Good night gentlemen.   :rock

well you lost me at peter grant comment actually for I am a felon....

as far as forgetting his words heroin will do that to ya, Robert often changed the song not necessarily forgot the lyrics.

when John Bonham died the broke up....most bands if not all, continued.

they did nothing that other artists haven't been always doing....period. they changed every thing they used or borrowed and made it there own.

as far as Led Zeppelin being a studio band only.....well You could not be further from the truth sorry major FAIL...Led Zeppelin has been called the greatest live rock band by to many people to have sucked, I also know people that have seen them live....I started listening to them in 1979,
that is so laughable wow.....besides the fact ive had at least 40 live albums and tapes/CD's to 8tracks. watched countless videos of them....
They were great live.

the whole of your post screams envy sorry, you have eluded to this before...glad you finally got it off your chest :aok

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2011, 01:18:37 AM »
well you lost me at peter grant comment actually for I am a felon....

as far as forgetting his words heroin will do that to ya, Robert often changed the song not necessarily forgot the lyrics.

when John Bonham died the broke up....most bands if not all, continued.

they did nothing that other artists haven't been always doing....period. they changed every thing they used or borrowed and made it there own.

as far as Led Zeppelin being a studio band only.....well You could not be further from the truth sorry major FAIL...Led Zeppelin has been called the greatest live rock band by to many people to have sucked, I also know people that have seen them live....I started listening to them in 1979,
that is so laughable wow.....besides the fact ive had at least 40 live albums and tapes/CD's to 8tracks. watched countless videos of them....
They were great live.

the whole of your post screams envy sorry, you have eluded to this before...glad you finally got it off your chest :aok

Whipping out "major FAIL" is a felony in it's own right.

Take your Zep worship and go stand in the corner.

EDIT: I am glad that we have gotten some good music talk out of this thread.

The Hollies...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KtScrqtbc
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:21:58 AM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2011, 01:26:22 AM »
Whipping out "major FAIL" is a felony in it's own right.

Take your Zep worship and go stand in the corner.

EDIT: I am glad that we have gotten some good music talk out of this thread.

The Hollies...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KtScrqtbc

yup I do love Zepp :aok

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2011, 01:28:26 AM »
yup I do love Zepp :aok

As you should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb6pJlrS9DA

EDIT: HAHAHA They are everything that Aerosmith wanted to be.  :lol  :rofl

Keith Moon drove The Who.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:38:09 AM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2011, 01:35:07 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNo4-mpP7g

oh ya they suked live.....im still laughing over that Kar..im sorry but :rofl

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2011, 01:39:17 AM »
As you should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb6pJlrS9DA

EDIT: HAHAHA They are everything that Aerosmith wanted to be.  :lol  :rofl

Keith Moon drove The Who.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw

thanx man got me on a live zepp video search :rock

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
See Rule #4

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2011, 01:55:06 AM »
I still hate the Beatles.....    I think  :headscratch:

Here's George, Ringo, Jim Keltner, Clapton, Billy Preston, Leon Russell, Badfinger and accompanying artists.

EDIT: Wrong one.

Here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZIi188Cakk

Jeff Beck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ej3BdMpgZw
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:58:20 AM by Melvin »
See Rule #4