Author Topic: Boy, 4, mauled to death by dog in his NYC home  (Read 2798 times)

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Boy, 4, mauled to death by dog in his NYC home
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:00:18 AM »
NEW YORK (AP) — A 4-year-old boy playing with his young brothers in a bedroom was fatally mauled by a family dog that had been feared by neighbors, police said.

Jayelin Graham suffered horrifying wounds to his head, neck and torso Friday night in the assault at his mother's apartment in Brooklyn's Brownsville section.

His mother told police that when she tried to intervene, the dog, a male Cane Corso mastiff, turned on her, too. Even with the help of a neighbor who rushed to help after hearing her screams, she was unable to save the child, police said.

Police and firefighters arrived quickly and took Jayelin to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The dog was sedated and taken to a shelter.

Neighbor Anthony Brown told the Daily News the dog was a known menace.

"It was a violent dog," he said. "Dangerous. A big dog. The whole block is scared of that dog."

Police removed the dog from the house in a cage after the attack, along with other pets including a German shepherd. Investigators were unsure why the dog attacked. As of late Saturday afternoon, no charges had been filed.

The boy's great-grandfather, Ameer Jamaal-Uddin, told The New York Times the dogs belonged to the mother's boyfriend.

The apartment building's superintendent, Kenny Risher, told reporters that he had occasionally seen the man training his dogs to bite in the street in front of the building. The family also owned a rabbit that was recently eaten by one of the dogs, as well as a parrot and a snake, Risher said.

"People were scared of those dogs," he said. "This was a tragedy waiting to happen."
Thing is the fact this same exact problem exits down the street. Dogs kept getting out of the fence, dug a hole under, animal control called 4+ times, chased my sister, I mean the cops leave notices and they did nothing until their pitbull was taken away. They got it back and you know what they did? They put a brick in the hole which the dogs pushed aside. They have another crossbreed which has knocked my friends sister off her bike, chased my sister down the street(someone got a  video of it and used it in court) and has charged me and nipped at me before. Pittbulls are already illegal to have in some counties and the fact that its not here is disturbing, also being tied in with the home owners who simple don't give a Donkeys butt about safety.
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
Re: Boy, 4, mauled to death by dog in his NYC home
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:17:21 AM »
As you have told doesn't sound like it is the dogs fault.  Sounds like the owners fault.  Any breed of dog can be vicious if its owner doesn't handle it properly.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:44 AM »
As you have told doesn't sound like it is the dogs fault.  Sounds like the owners fault.  Any breed of dog can be vicious if its owner doesn't handle it properly.
Pitbulls are already naturally aggressive, but in my situation and the one in New York, its the owners like you said.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:25:35 AM »
Pitbulls are already naturally aggressive, but in my situation and the one in New York, its the owners like you said.

Maybe slightly more so.  However, in every case I have ever seen or heard of always stupid people.  If there are good owners the chance of anything happen is microscopic.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:31:01 AM »
Maybe slightly more so.  However, in every case I have ever seen or heard of always stupid people.  If there are good owners the chance of anything happen is microscopic.
Correct, but sadly there aren't always good owners, and because of them other people suffer.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
Only took three posts, including the OP.    :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:29:25 AM »
one stupid guy on my city got killed by his pitbull aswell.
the guy was robbed on the street some day and then got traumatized. then he bougth a pitbull to "protect his house" but the son of a (&%! was feeding the dog only pepper and no water to piss the dog off and also was teasing it the whole time. one day the dog got free of his leash and tore the owner to pieces, family found his body.
The end? the dog got "sacrificed".  :frown:
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:52:57 AM »
you have a lot to learn...pitbulls were bred to be aggressive toward other animals, specifically dogs...not humans. it takes a stupid human to make it agressive toward humans...they're biggest fault is they are very protective of their owners...and if the owner is stupid, well. i've been around pits a lot...and i've seen toddlers playing with them without any problems at all, and it comes down to training. you have to understand the dog in order to train the dog...most people who get pits don't know the first thing about them, or any dog for that matter.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
Pits might be naturally aggressive but if you train them right and provide them a loving home they will be sweethearts just like any dog.  Bad dogs don't come from good families or owners.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 02:20:08 AM »
pits are banned in ohio. doesnt stop ppl from owning some tho.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 05:34:37 AM »
Overview:  The Cane Corso Mastiff is believed to have descended from the old Roman war dogs, Canis Pugnax. They were highly valued by hunters and farmers because of their immense power, loyalty, speed, courage, and willingness to work. Throughout the Middle Ages, these dogs were terrific hunters and wonderful bull baiters. The Cane Corso Mastiff today is still used on farms and hunting purposes. This breed is very powerful and sturdy giving him a bad reputation of being aggressive.

Character:  The Cane Corso Mastiff is somewhat fearless and is very devoted. Due to the power of this breed, he is not recommended for everyone but does make a lovely companion given the right training and socialization. This breed is a fearless family protector but does make a wonderful companion given the right environment. The Cane Corso Mastiff has a very balanced temperament, and despite his size and all around appearance, makes a great family pet.

Temperament:  Aloof around strangers, protective, and loyal, this breed does make a good companion. The Cane Corso Mastiff does make a lovely companion, but should not be left unsupervised around children due to his sheer size and power. He is very dependable around children in his family, but can be protective around others. The Cane Corso Mastiff can live in peace with cats and other dogs however should not be trusted around very small animals.

Care:  The Cane Corso Mastiff is a very light shedder making grooming very simple. A wipe down with a damp cloth and occasional brushing and/or combing with a firm bristle or rubber brush should be sufficient. The Cane Corso Mastiff requires minimal grooming, although around the mouth should be cleaned regularly as this breed has the tendency to drool quite a bit. The eyes should also require care professionally as they are very droopy which can cause irritation.

Training:  The Cane Corso Mastiff is not recommended for the average handler. He is very powerful and can be dominant if not in the right home. The handler should always remain firm and consistent. A variety of training methods work best with this somewhat willful breed. A dominant handler is a must. The Cane Corso Mastiff is very trainable being agile and intelligent. He is very responsive to training, however obedience classes are recommended at an early stage in life.

Activity:  The Cane Corso Mastiff needs lots of exercise to stay healthy and active. This breed requires a fenced in yard to maintain his powerful muscles and immense strength. The Cane Corso Mastiff is an ideal jogging companion and loves to go on long hikes with his master. This breed requires at least 90 minutes of exercise per day, however more is recommended to keep his muscles in great shape.

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 06:06:44 AM »
i knew this would be posted here as soon as i saw it on the homepage
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 06:13:39 AM »
First time a dog charges at me, the wife, or my kids aggressively, its going to die
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 07:10:09 AM »
my buddy had a pit bull we played cards on,he would sit still and my buddy would place a poker table top on his head,we would play cards for hours,the dog would just sit there,TRUE STORY
my point any dog is only as good as it's owner sad story about the child,but it could have happened with any dog

Offline expat

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 07:19:40 AM »
It's all about the owner ,and any dog can turn nasty !
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!