Author Topic: Great new ideas for strategic evolution of game  (Read 3959 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Re: Great new ideas for strategic evolution of game
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
But since the LW MA does make up 99.9xx% of the spent Aces High time flying, it is ultimately the most important, and improving the quality of play in this environment should be weighted accordingly.

Yes but who ever mentioned that?  :headscratch:

Kinda made the next step if the game doesnt rule you, the players may. Thats if you are talking a game where it takes coordination...enforced coordination if any real strat stuff was to work right.Forced to patrol a sector to protect a city etc. As it is now, it doesnt seem that HTC wants any strat to affect a players enjoyment of the game.
Still kinda dim? Yeah well Im having a hard time explaining it.

~AoM~

Offline Airwolf

• Copper Member
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »

I think if perked aircraft weren't perked, they would be all you would see. 
I have already pointed out the fallacy of that belief...It`s the pilot, not the plane...

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »
In the end, what it comes down to is somehow raising the stakes for the longer time players so it doesn't go stale and not making it so hard the new folks quit before they figure it out.

I'm not advocating the following, but it made me think of the RR  and FR arenas in Airwarrior.   Most folks stayed in the RR arenas, but there was a group of folks who 'took it up a notch' in FR.  It was never as full, but it was a different challenge.

Again I'm not advocating the same system in terms of flight modeling, but it sounds like that's what folks are trying to figure out.  FSO's offer it to some degree.  AvA does.  Scenarios do.  

But they're not the MA in terms of the full plane set and player numbers.  So how do you incorporate as system that challenges the longer term players without discouraging the new players?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »
In the end, what it comes down to is somehow raising the stakes for the longer time players so it doesn't go stale and not making it so hard the new folks quit before they figure it out.

I'm not advocating the following, but it made me think of the RR  and FR arenas in Airwarrior.   Most folks stayed in the RR arenas, but there was a group of folks who 'took it up a notch' in FR.  It was never as full, but it was a different challenge.

Again I'm not advocating the same system in terms of flight modeling, but it sounds like that's what folks are trying to figure out.  FSO's offer it to some degree.  AvA does.  Scenarios do. 

But they're not the MA in terms of the full plane set and player numbers.  So how do you incorporate as system that challenges the longer term players without discouraging the new players?
Hope this doesn't come across as a hijack...just a thought on this out loud

Training squads.....Who would CO/XO them ????  but if there was a training squad...so to speak....new players get allocated a chess piece (as they do now) but also a squad.....they then get shown some of the in's and out's...these squads could have nights/days just like any other and carry out set operations which over time will give a grounding knowledge of AH before moving on...or perhaps they will stay on and help with the next lot of newer guys...As I say who would do this??? I'm sure there may be some who would...but would there be enough that would be willing to as you would require a few others with some knowledge of the game to carry this off...

I don't know?? I haven't been here long enough to really see how things would work...but my nephew has watched me play this game and is now a member..he however does have a hard time accepting the phyisics of flight as many new comers do...he thinks you see a con ...point at him and fly to him and fight...whether he is co alt or 5K above hahaha....I have tried to keep him away from Head ons...but when it happens to him...by named players what do I say....I do tell him he asked for it by his style of attack but hey....anyway...the reason I thought of the above is because he got on with chewie (<S> sir for your time ) and learn't a lot from the guys...chewie mostly about certain things whilst being part of (yes it was a lot of people in the missions) a functioning group...he took away from that some valuable knowledge on some of the smaller...but no less helpful parts of AH....yes he still has to spend the time in his fighter to gain the knowledge and skill...however a couple of hours with chewie, and he learn't more about AH than I did in a month.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:54:58 PM by SPKmes »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2011, 10:50:21 PM »

I'm not advocating the following, but it made me think of the RR  and FR arenas in Airwarrior.   Most folks stayed in the RR arenas, but there was a group of folks who 'took it up a notch' in FR.  It was never as full, but it was a different challenge.

Again I'm not advocating the same system in terms of flight modeling, but it sounds like that's what folks are trying to figure out.  FSO's offer it to some degree.  AvA does.  Scenarios do.  

But they're not the MA in terms of the full plane set and player numbers.  So how do you incorporate as system that challenges the longer term players without discouraging the new players?

We do that on our own when we feel the need.  I've spent this weekend flying the P-40B.  It's actually gotten me pumped up a little.  I had a four kill mission landed tonight for 21 perks.  Granted three were B-24's but hey, it was fun.  In fact more fun than I've had in the game in a while.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2011, 12:03:11 AM »
We do that on our own when we feel the need.  I've spent this weekend flying the P-40B.  It's actually gotten me pumped up a little.  I had a four kill mission landed tonight for 21 perks.  Granted three were B-24's but hey, it was fun.  In fact more fun than I've had in the game in a while.

No disagreement.  I'm still having fun after a lot of years.  I'm just trying to address the questions raised.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2011, 12:38:19 AM »
In the end you need to be able to play a diverse game to have longevity.  Tanks, ships, bombers, taking down towns, airfields, CVs.....being able to attack with torps, rockets........and defend against!  Those that play one single aspect of the game, especially single ride players, will "usually" burn out fastest.  Having multi-layered strat is great but be careful not to place too many limits on peoples choices.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2011, 12:48:09 AM »
But how to include that? Reads like a great & simple idea, but the actual implementation could be quite a challenge, not onyl from a technical/resource point of view (I havn't that much knowledge about that), but also from a gameplay / balance one. In RL, there were thousands of ground combatants for each plane / tank. In here, where everyone can fly & drive what and when he likes, what could a foot soldier do? 10 players on foot in a town compared to 20 or more in Lancasters carpet bombing the hell out of 'em? ;)

Thats an easy one, and could be done a number of different ways. Ground combat only accounts at $2 per month. Tanks only at $11. All access at $15. Oh and ground combatants have access to stationary AA pieces, for the "20 carpet bombing lancs."

The hard part is beating sense... NM
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »
We have been looking for a way to run a different kind of strategic game in AvA, being the only 24/7 arena where we can use something different than base capture for victory parameters.

Of course it all has to be done manually, so we had to simplify it a lot.

We are hoping get some decent attendance with this experiment so we can see how a different dynamic plays out.

If you want to help, come on in and choose a side and attack or defend.

Maybe we can learn how to run a different kind of win the war scenario.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,314093.0.html

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »
Allow the troops to do damage....I have never seen battle in which troops do not do damage.  The damage model wouldn't be that tough and how cool would it be to have mass air drops?  How fun would it be to defend against 10 incoming C47s with bombers on top and fighters capping them.

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
To bring in Player controlled Infantry (FPS) would be an instant win.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
To bring in Player controlled Infantry (FPS) would be an instant win.

pffft    what do you call this then? 

http://www.4shared.com/file/_YvfrkxB/betty_kermit_45_.html

:t
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
A couple of suggestions to improve game play as I agree the whole base capture thing is getting kind of stale.

One day a week (other than TT) make it axis vs allies in the MA. One side U.S., Brits & USSR, the other side German, Japs and Italians. You can only use the planes & vehicles of your country. Or make it a 3 way, Japs on one side, Germans on another and U.S. on the third side. Rotate countries every week so everyone gets a chance to be a Jap, a Kraut or a Yank. And like TT, have only 1 main arena for that day.

Here's another suggestion. Recreate actual battles in the MA rather than in Special Events. How about a Battle of the Bulge in the MA with 400 participants? I'm not an avid GV'er, but 400 guys in a massive tank battle would definitely interest me. Or recreate the Battle of Midway in the MA. Again, pick one day of the week for this event, say Thursdays, and run the event on this day.

It doesn't have to be a permanent thing. We can try this stuff out for a couple of weeks and see if everyone likes it. Personally, I look forward to Titanic Tuesday but other than that most nights in the MA are kind of boring.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2011, 06:11:18 PM »
A couple of suggestions to improve game play as I agree the whole base capture thing is getting kind of stale.

One day a week (other than TT) make it axis vs allies in the MA. One side U.S., Brits & USSR, the other side German, Japs and Italians. You can only use the planes & vehicles of your country. Or make it a 3 way, Japs on one side, Germans on another and U.S. on the third side. Rotate countries every week so everyone gets a chance to be a Jap, a Kraut or a Yank. And like TT, have only 1 main arena for that day.

Already have this, it's call the AvA arena. Open 24 hours a day and 7 days aweek.

Here's another suggestion. Recreate actual battles in the MA rather than in Special Events. How about a Battle of the Bulge in the MA with 400 participants? I'm not an avid GV'er, but 400 guys in a massive tank battle would definitely interest me. Or recreate the Battle of Midway in the MA. Again, pick one day of the week for this event, say Thursdays, and run the event on this day.

Again, they already have this. There is a team of dedicated players that spend hours upon hours setting up and organizing these events. They are not something they can "throw up" once a week.

It doesn't have to be a permanent thing. We can try this stuff out for a couple of weeks and see if everyone likes it. Personally, I look forward to Titanic Tuesday but other than that most nights in the MA are kind of boring.

They can't do this kind of stuff in the MAs. The reason is a large population of the players don't like to play the game that way. You like TT, personally I haven't tried it for months because I hate it so bad. Not everyone is the same, so there have to be  as many option/styles of game play available as there can be to keep the majority of the player coming back and PAYING their monthly fees.

Offline cut67

• Nickel Member
      • 483 BG
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
that kind of sounds really dumb lol
The bombers give the boom and the fighters give the zoom