Author Topic: Ryan Dunn  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Ryan Dunn
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 10:43:06 AM »
Wow..

I don't think I've ever seen so many people stick up for a drunk driver before.

Let me ask this; If he wasn't some B-list celebrity who made you chuckle with some vulgar humor on cable TV, would you all still be sticking up for and eulogizing him?

Let's be honest here, drunk drivers (especially ones who speed too) are usually universally despised, why does this guy get a pass?  Because he's dead? Because he's famous (sorta)? Because you like his show?

What he did was stupid, dangerous, and put dozens of other lives at risk.  I'd rather he was suffering some nice mental torment and anguish wherever his soul is now, then "resting in peace."  I don't think he deserves to rest in peace just yet, not till he's had a least a taste of suffering.  But that's not up to me.

Sure I feel bad for his family and friends who are mourning.  But that doesn't lessen the wrongfulness of what he did.

He's dead; he died a horrible death filled with anguish and torment.  First he slammed through trees, then burned alive in a twisted heap of metal.  Are you so inclined as to believe that in doing so he did not suffer enough, that he ought to be put through even greater pain?  What vile, horrible thing could you do to him that would be more painful?  Furthermore, where does it all end?  At a certain point, it's time to let go.  He can't feel pain now, and he can't hurt anyone else.

The quote "Speak not poorly of the dead" is often misinterpreted.  It does not mean to ignore a dead person's faults, nor to exalt them.  It means to let go of any grudges that you've held against them, and to be at peace with their memory because upon their death, they have paid the ultimate price for their actions.  Your greed for their pain and hatred of their life is now pointless- they are dead, and cannot feel your wrath.

-Penguin

Offline 5anders

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 10:51:09 AM »
All this talk of alcohol and still no proof of his BAC?  How about wait til the autopsy before you go and judge someone.  The picture of him with one drink in his hand doesn't mean he was drunk.

He's dead; he died a horrible death filled with anguish and torment.  First he slammed through trees, then burned alive in a twisted heap of metal.  Are you so inclined as to believe that in doing so he did not suffer enough, that he ought to be put through even greater pain?  What vile, horrible thing could you do to him that would be more painful?  Furthermore, where does it all end?  At a certain point, it's time to let go.  He can't feel pain now, and he can't hurt anyone else.

The quote "Speak not poorly of the dead" is often misinterpreted.  It does not mean to ignore a dead person's faults, nor to exalt them.  It means to let go of any grudges that you've held against them, and to be at peace with their memory because upon their death, they have paid the ultimate price for their actions.  Your greed for their pain and hatred of their life is now pointless- they are dead, and cannot feel your wrath.

-Penguin

I actually have to agree with you on this.  :cheers:
In game: sanders

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
The bottom line is, some people believe in clemency and some people don't.

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2011, 11:07:32 AM »
The bottom line is, some people believe in clemency and some people don't.

:aok

Berating someone that is dead, regardless of who they may be, is only posturing for those around you.

They are dead, I'm pretty sure that they can't hear you.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2011, 01:10:59 PM »
remember, you can judge someone all you want, but only one person has the right too judge someone. And we will all come too the moment when we are judged.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »
Reading this thread made me go back and count the number of friends I've had that have been killed drinking & driving. 6 so far....a couple of which also took another life with them. Although I don't approve of what they did and think their actions were stupid beyond belief, doesn't take away from the fact that they were all good people.
We've all made dumb mistakes. I reckon Mr. Dunn would want that night to play out different too. No one here is perfect...let us not forget that. I just hope the guys didn't suffer. Dieing in a car crash is a f---ed up way to die. The whole mess is just a damned shame no matter how you look at it.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2011, 01:37:26 PM »
I have no idea who this guy was, or anything about him but..

I've always found this notion to be completely ridiculous, if someone was a jerk, their dying doesn't change that fact.  Does this saintly notion apply to Hitler, Stalin and Mao?  They are all dead.   Hitler, Stalin and Mao where evil monsters...  see I just did it.  (speak poorly of the dead that is.)  This idea implies that it's alright to say anything you want about them when they're alive, but as soon as they die, every fallacy and sin they had must be forgotten.

If someone asks, I'll speak my mind, I don't care whether the person I speak of is dead or alive.  From what I've just learned about this Dunn guy -that he starred in a show call jacka--, and drove drunk-  I don't think very highly of his character, his being dead does nothing to change his character, his character and integrity are defined by what he did while living.   He doesn't get a clean slate just because he is dead.  Why should he, maybe his friends and family can learn from his mistakes and flaws now, and perhaps his death will save them from doing something equally stupid.  

Of course all his relatives and friends will sugar-coat things at his memorial/funeral, they have to, it helps them to cope, focusing on the good, and overlooking the bad for a little while, and that's fine as long as it's only for a little while, we all do it when someone close dies.  But it doesn't mean the rest of us have to put blinders on just because they are dead.  

We all have fallacies, foibles and problems in our life and our character, whitewashing all that away when we die is a disservice to us and those close to us.  I want to be remembered for all that I am, and all that I did, not just the good parts.  I also want to be forgiven for all those things, but forgiveness does not equal forgetting.   I want my failings an mistakes to be remembered too, so that perhaps others may learn from them.

*BTW the novel Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card is a great philosophical read that deals with very subject.*

The simple fact that you had the make the jump from the death of a famous individual who produced entertainment and died by stupidity to the death of Hitler and Stalin should pretty much highlight how radical and ludicrous an argument you are making.  So does this mean everyone who dies due to either their own or another's act of idiocy and shortsightedness is as condemned a SOB as Hitler in your eyes?  Are you letting your personal opinion about one individual's arsenine antics to produce entertainment (which he was quite successful at) seriously outweigh the fundamental morals and virtues that countless individuals wasted their effort tried bringing to you?

They're all idiots, funny entertaining idiots, and they produced entertainment as such.  I am not surprised that one of them died as such, only that it took over a decade before it happened (but heck, let's not point that out, I'm sure most us mortals here have done more stupid things they're ashamed of in the past decade (that didn't kill themselves or anyone else) than things they can or are willing to show and tell us or even their own son).  

May he forever rest in peace and the lord have mercy on him.  He brought entertainment to millions that were smarter but not as bold.  My sincerest condolences for his family and friends.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2011, 01:52:10 PM »
Wow..

I don't think I've ever seen so many people stick up for a drunk driver before.

Let me ask this; If he wasn't some B-list celebrity who made you chuckle with some vulgar humor on cable TV, would you all still be sticking up for and eulogizing him?

Let's be honest here, drunk drivers (especially ones who speed too) are usually universally despised, why does this guy get a pass?  Because he's dead? Because he's famous (sorta)? Because you like his show?

What he did was stupid, dangerous, and put dozens of other lives at risk.  I'd rather he was suffering some nice mental torment and anguish wherever his soul is now, then "resting in peace."  I don't think he deserves to rest in peace just yet, not till he's had a least a taste of suffering.  But that's not up to me.

Sure I feel bad for his family and friends who are mourning.  But that doesn't lessen the wrongfulness of what he did.

Oh, OK, so now it's only about a drunk driver because you say so.  You're right, and a model of moral character for the entire country to follow.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
All this talk of alcohol and still no proof of his BAC?  How about wait til the autopsy before you go and judge someone.  The picture of him with one drink in his hand doesn't mean he was drunk.

Even if it is determined that the guy wasn't "legally" drunk, you can bet it all that Madd and others like them will add this guys death to their doctored list of "alcohol" related deaths.

Even if the driver didn't have a drop of alcohol in his system,but the passenger did?? Its an alcohol related death to be added to the statisics of dui accidents.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
Here is the tox report. There is no doubt anymore about if he was drunk. He was more than double the legal limit as well as going almost 3 times the speed limit on the road.

Nope don't feel sorry for him one darn bit. My sympathy is for his passenger. I just hope that dunn earned a true Darwin award, we don't need any more cloudiness in the gene pool.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110622/ap_on_en_tv/us_ryan_dunn
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
The passenger is just as much at fault for getting into a car with an overly drunk driver. just as bad judgment there.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »
Darwinism in action. The herd is culled. Praise TFSM

"And we will all come too the moment when we are judged."

Cool! My judge better be Jenna Jamison or her look-a-like

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
Driving under the influence is dumb, but doing it doesn't discredit one's entire life.  There are a lot of good people who make that mistake. 
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »
his BAC was .196.....or more than twice the legal limit.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2011/06/22/ryan-dunn-drunk-driving-death/
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »
Drinking and high speed :(

They say he posted pics of himself and 2 friends drinking in a bar not 2 hours before the wreck on his facebook or twitter page. CNN says the pics were since removed.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:25:46 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)