Author Topic: another darwin candidate  (Read 3401 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: another darwin candidate
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »
Pretty simple, Ded, the  guys are not paid based on the risk involved, but on the freaking BRAINS required to be in a position to save another life by removing a tumor, replacing a heart, operating on a brain.. etc. You want a guy who's special skill in life is spraying water from a hose standing over you with a scalpel when the time comes?

You're paying for the skill, knowledge, and ability to do something you cannot do yourself. Simple as that.

Haha, you conveniently ignored something I said.   I hope you don;t tell the above to a fireman trying to save your life though lol. 

Do you want a guy that is worried who is going to pay him and how fast he can get done with you so he can collect from someone else coming through the door of your burning building? Then worry about what company gives him the bigger kick backs for using their rescuing tools and using those whether appropriate for the job or not.  If the rescue attempt fails accept 0 responsibility for the tools and methods he chose and for the delay while figuring out payment options?  My guess is no, but you would let him operate on you  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »
Not the point.  I always have a sit belt on and would always wear a helmet and gear before getting on a bike.  I just don;t need a law that the tax collectors can abuse to get money for the city.  I use it because it would be stupid not too.  Not because it is a traffic violation.  I also don;t stick my fingers in electrical out lets and there is no law against that, is there?

uumm.....can you stop with these sensible posts? i have to agree with ya now..........and that's only slightly less scary than agreeing with grizz......and it may get this thread locked.  :devil :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2011, 09:58:22 AM »
based on that, then we all should be wearing helmets in our cars.

at least in theory, that what the seatbelts and airbags are for. Plus, for normal driving, a helmet causes more problems than it solves. At least in my state you'll get a ticket for operating a vehicle wearing a helmet.

And no, personally I wouldn't ride without a full-faced helmet and full leathers, but that's just me. And a kill switch insn't necessary, as we aren't strapped to our bikes.

and you are correct calling the car/train  thing a collision......i mean.......how do you "accidentally" pull in front of a train? really? you couldn't see 60 tons of loud diesel powered death doing 60mph comin at ya? negligence.

The train I understand your point, OK. Other typs of "wrecks" you have to make an allowance for the possibility for such circumstances as obstructed view, unpredictable actions or responses on the part of the other driver, etc. Human error, basically. That's not exactly negligence.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »
Haha, you conveniently ignored something I said.   I hope you don;t tell the above to a fireman trying to save your life though lol. 

Do you want a guy that is worried who is going to pay him and how fast he can get done with you so he can collect from someone else coming through the door of your burning building? Then worry about what company gives him the bigger kick backs for using their rescuing tools and using those whether appropriate for the job or not.  If the rescue attempt fails accept 0 responsibility for the tools and methods he chose and for the delay while figuring out payment options?  My guess is no, but you would let him operate on you  :lol

i've always thought firefighters, emt's, and most police are under paid.

this was brought home a couple of years ago, when on the way home from my part time job, i came up on an accident that had just happened......a car was on it's roof in the middle of rt 42 south, and the one that hit it was about 200 yards beyond it, and on fire.
 i along with others stopped. some ran to the car on fire, and some of us ran to the one on the roof......we couldn't do anything for the lady in that car, except try to keep her calm. it was leaking fuel, so no one touched anything.....fire crews were there less than 10 minutes after we stopped.

it was truly amazing to watch those guys pull up, and go to work. the professionalism they exhibited was second to none, and they had her out of that car in mere minutes.
 meanwhile, the guy that got out of the burning car got himself arrested, due to the fact he was chasing people away from his car with a handgun.

yea....fire fighters do not make nearly enough money.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2011, 10:03:32 AM »
at least in theory, that what the seatbelts and airbags are for. Plus, for normal driving, a helmet causes more problems than it solves. At least in my state you'll get a ticket for operating a vehicle wearing a helmet.

And no, personally I wouldn't ride without a full-faced helmet and full leathers, but that's just me. And a kill switch insn't necessary, as we aren't strapped to our bikes.

The train I understand your point, OK. Other typs of "wrecks" you have to make an allowance for the possibility for such circumstances as obstructed view, unpredictable actions or responses on the part of the other driver, etc. Human error, basically. That's not exactly negligence.

when i ride, i wear a full face. i don't wear full leathers though. if it's below 60F, i do wear a leather jacket though. if the kill switch isn't necessary, why then do they require it on race bikes?

for accidents.......2 second rule. if this is/was followed, all that you mentioned would be avoidable.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2011, 10:07:12 AM »
The two biggest reasons healthcare is so expensive are prescription drugs and equipment. Patents for drugs last too long, prices remain high and inflated.

Working in the health industry, one thing we have noticed is our competitors pricing when they offer a new service. A competitor will try to get an advantage by purchasing an MRI machine (note, not referring to hospitals). Soon after, every one of their patients needs an MRI, because they need to pay for that expensive machine. Soon prescriptions, and visits cost more.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »
 So maybe you are right about the guys performing brain surgery, but the guys that you have to wait in line so they can charge your insurance e few 100$ to tell you you have a cold, yes, grossly overpaid.

Do you know the meaning of the term "misdiagnosis?"
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »
Pretty simple, Ded, the  guys are not paid based on the risk involved, but on the freaking BRAINS required to be in a position to save another life by removing a tumor, replacing a heart, operating on a brain.. etc. You want a guy who's special skill in life is spraying water from a hose standing over you with a scalpel when the time comes?

You're paying for the skill, knowledge, and ability to do something you cannot do yourself. Simple as that.
but your wrong..

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/community/ff_salary_benefits_080106.shtml

is it as much as a doctor? no. there is more physical and mental risks at a fire scene then there are with a knife in hand. a hose line could blow and take your legs off, a beam could fall from above and crush you... you could be a pulling a victim out but be 30 seconds to late getting them and not know it until you get them out.

more to putting out a fire then spraying water from a hose... probably just as stressful as putting a blade into someone for the first incision knowing if you slip you could end it for them...

saddening how people dont see the risks involved... if you lived down the road from me i sure as hell wouldnt respond if i knew your house was burning.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:29:52 AM by MaSonZ »
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
based on that, then we all should be wearing helmets in our cars. on our cycles, full leathers should then be required, along with reflective clothing. we should be required to be connected to a kill switch, much the same as bike racers use, so that when we do go down, the bike will shut off.

and you are correct calling the car/train  thing a collision......i mean.......how do you "accidentally" pull in front of a train? really? you couldn't see 60 tons of loud diesel powered death doing 60mph comin at ya? negligence.

Not necessarily.  If you arrive at the right moment with brakes that have recently (I mean around thirty seconds ago) sufferred a major failure, there is no way that you could stop in time.

-Penguin

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »
Not necessarily.  If you arrive at the right moment with brakes that have recently (I mean around thirty seconds ago) sufferred a major failure, there is no way that you could stop in time.

-Penguin
why would you drive a car on brakes that dont work? they do make emergency brakes seperate from the brake system for a reason...and they dont call it an "Emergency" brake for nothing...
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2011, 10:43:43 AM »
Like I said, the brakes had just failed, and it wouldn't have occurred to the driver that it might be a good time to call AAA.  If one is going over thirty MPH (I'm not sure about this, I think CAP could help me), the emergency brake will snap like a dry twig.

-Penguin

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »

-Penguin

brakes will not suffer a major failure when they're not being used. when you hit the brakes, and suffer a catastrophic failure, if you're paying attention, and at least 2 seconds behind, you most likely will have some options. but, yes....catastrophic brake failure would be an exception.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »
The two biggest reasons healthcare is so expensive are prescription drugs and equipment. Patents for drugs last too long, prices remain high and inflated.

Working in the health industry, one thing we have noticed is our competitors pricing when they offer a new service. A competitor will try to get an advantage by purchasing an MRI machine (note, not referring to hospitals). Soon after, every one of their patients needs an MRI, because they need to pay for that expensive machine. Soon prescriptions, and visits cost more.

There is a certain drug used here, very expensive per tablet, that is used in europe on sheep. The tablet for the sheep is just a few cents. Here it is closer to $100 per pill.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »
Like I said, the brakes had just failed, and it wouldn't have occurred to the driver that it might be a good time to call AAA.  If one is going over thirty MPH (I'm not sure about this, I think CAP could help me), the emergency brake will snap like a dry twig.

-Penguin

emergency brakes are designed to be used in  case of service brake failure.

i myself suffered catastrophic brake failure on my 85 5th ave a few years ago. i was far enough behind the cars in front, that i had time to pump the pedal, yank the shifter into low gear, and get my left foot onto the emergency brake. this combination slowed me enough to avoid hitting anything, and i was able to limp the car the final mile to home.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
There is a certain drug used here, very expensive per tablet, that is used in europe on sheep. The tablet for the sheep is just a few cents. Here it is closer to $100 per pill.

hhmm.....sheep?  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"