Author Topic: another darwin candidate  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: another darwin candidate
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »
Cap, I'm familiar with the mechanics of the design and operation. I was asking where penguin got the snap like a twig bit from. I doubt he will reply. 

IIRC he's all of 13 so his experience with an automobile is going to be rather limited. He sure likes to post about things like he has a clue however.
 :huh

I said that I wasn't sure of whether or not the parking brake would snap like a twig.  Allow me to offer a quote:

Like I said, the brakes had just failed, and it wouldn't have occurred to the driver that it might be a good time to call AAA.  If one is going over thirty MPH (I'm not sure about this, I think CAP could help me), the emergency brake will snap like a dry twig.

-Penguin

Your reading comprehension is quite, quite poor.  In fact, it's as if you didn't even read the parenthetical which clearly stated my lack of knowledge on the topic.

-Penguin

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »
Cap, I'm familiar with the mechanics of the design and operation. I was asking where penguin got the snap like a twig bit from. I doubt he will reply. 

IIRC he's all of 13 so his experience with an automobile is going to be rather limited. He sure likes to post about things like he has a clue however.

I said that I wasn't sure of whether or not the parking brake would snap like a twig.  Allow me to offer a quote:

Like I said, the brakes had just failed, and it wouldn't have occurred to the driver that it might be a good time to call AAA.  If one is going over thirty MPH (I'm not sure about this, I think CAP could help me), the emergency brake will snap like a dry twig.

-Penguin

Your reading comprehension is quite, quite poor.  In fact, it's as if you didn't even read the parenthetical which clearly stated my lack of knowledge on the topic.

-Penguin

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »
you must have completely different systems in the US then, because over here its used for parking. engine braking is also used in an emergency, but its only designed as a primary function for braking in trucks (Jake-brakes.)

well, there's a reason that they're easy to reach. i mean...how many people do you know that actually set it when they park? i do, for the record, in my truck, and jeep.....when i had my stang, i just left it in gear.

it is designed as a failsafe, incase your braking system fails.

that being said.....i'd suspect that the majority of drivers on the roads today wouldn't react nearly quick enough to use it, so it's kinda pointless anyway.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:53 PM »

-Penguin

-Penguin

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »
jeeze!! the bbs must've had mexican...it's farting all over the place.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2011, 04:23:41 PM »

-Penguin

Remove the parentheses idiot.

"If one is going over thirty MPH the emergency brake will snap like a dry twig."

Now do you see where there is a problem?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »
Whoa there, speedy gonzales.  Don't go putting words in my mouth (or in this case, taking them out).

Sure, I'll remove the parentheses:

Like I said, the brakes had just failed, and it wouldn't have occurred to the driver that it might be a good time to call AAA.  If one is going over thirty MPH I'm not sure about this, I think CAP could help me, the emergency brake will snap like a dry twig.

-Penguin

Now all you've got is a sentence in which I did not separate my clauses.  Now if you want me to remove the parenthetical, that's just changing my post so you can attack it better.  Let me give you an analogy to show how completely wrong your argument is:

Bob: The sky on Mars is green (or not, because I haven't seen the sky).
Alice: If you remove the parenthetical, you look like someone who is professing knowledge when one does not have it.
Bob: That's why I included it, to show that I did not know if it were correct.

As you can see I clearly stated that I was not sure of whether my idea was correct.  You however, decided to put words in my mouth, and said that I claimed to have knowledge if I modified what I had already said to suit your wishes.

TL;DR: You are attacking a position that I did not take, therefore, your position is invalid.  Your argument is also an extreme example of a strawman; you are attacking an argument that does not exist.

-Penguin
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:37:37 PM by Penguin »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
how many people do you know that actually set it when they park?

mmm ... everyone (except for cars that are going to sit for months on end to stop binding.)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2011, 04:58:41 PM »
well, there's a reason that they're easy to reach. i mean...how many people do you know that actually set it when they park? i do, for the record, in my truck, and jeep.....when i had my stang, i just left it in gear.

it is designed as a failsafe, incase your braking system fails.

that being said.....i'd suspect that the majority of drivers on the roads today wouldn't react nearly quick enough to use it, so it's kinda pointless anyway.

omg its not designed as a failsafe, it is designed to take the stress off of your parking pawl "located in your automatic trans" and your engine "for standerd trans" when parked on a hill.

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »

omg its not designed as a failsafe, it is designed to take the stress off of your parking pawl "located in your automatic trans" and your engine "for standerd trans" when parked on a hill.

that too.

if that were it's only purpose, it would either be on or off. there would be no "in between" as there is now.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »

cap, i,m not saying it cant be used as a E brake i,m just saying that the primary design is parking not emergency stopping

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
I always set the brake in my trucks. Out of habit I do so in cars too. The ground is pretty flat here.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
i've always thought firefighters, emt's, and most police are under paid.

yea....fire fighters do not make nearly enough money.

Agreed 110%. In a perfect world, these guys, along with teachers, would be living much better than they are financially, and lawyers and politicians would be "just getting by" if ya know what I mean.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »
There is a problem with that idea, you know.  If we paid them too well, we'd see public servants who are only in it for the money.  Also, the current system of tenure and seniority pay is under heavy scrutiny due to the lack of ability to remove teachers who are teaching poorly.

Take this paraphrase from TIME magazine for example.  A teacher had committed sexual harrassment in his classroom, but the union was so powerful that he was reinstated in the very same class.

-Penguin

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
Agreed 110%. In a perfect world, these guys, along with teachers, would be living much better than they are financially, and lawyers and politicians would be "just getting by" if ya know what I mean.

Prosecutors are crime fighters too, and defense attorneys are necessary to make sure you are afforded the rights as given to you by the Consitution. Criminal lawyers don't make as much as their white-shoe corporate brethren anyways. Those are the ones who are paid $160,00 to review documents.