Author Topic: a sad, sad day  (Read 3622 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: a sad, sad day
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
Age is irrelevant.  He needs to be able to pass a certain field of tests to be "physically qualified" to fly.  If he can pass them then he is qualified.  If you think the tests are not physically demanding enough then argue that point, not his age, it's irrelevant due to its subjective nature.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2011, 11:42:54 PM »
Must be a new rule.  The last few races I watched had the G meter tagging 10 repeatedly for all of the competitors.  Maybe they put in the rule to try to avoid pilots blacking out.  Sort of like restrictor plates or pit lane speed limits...

I'd imagine knowing the move that's coming next helps in preparation for that kind of G load too.  Safe and sad to say Jimmy Leeward wasn't expecting it when it hit.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »
Age is irrelevant.  He needs to be able to pass a certain field of tests to be "physically qualified" to fly.  If he can pass them then he is qualified.  If you think the tests are not physically demanding enough then argue that point, not his age, it's irrelevant due to its subjective nature.

Comparing 45 to 50 is subjective.  25 to 75 only a fool could think there is no difference.  Passing a test means nothing.  All of the old ladies that confused the break pedal with the gas did pass a test that said it was OK for them to drive into the local coffee shop.  Don't forget that I am arguing the age in general and not specific to this incident or pilot.  It was a response to CAP who said your reflexes are not the same at 70+ only if you let them.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
Comparing 45 to 50 is subjective.  25 to 75 only a fool could think there is no difference.  Passing a test means nothing.  All of the old ladies that confused the break pedal with the gas did pass a test that said it was OK for them to drive into the local coffee shop.  Don't forget that I am arguing the age in general and not specific to this incident or pilot.  It was a response to CAP who said your reflexes are not the same at 70+ only if you let them.

bolded....i have to agree here. and it's "brake" not "break"  :devil

for reflexes, i simply stated from personal experience. i know i'm faster than 90% of those half my age.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2011, 03:27:46 PM »
As its been said before in this thread, anyone, regardless of age or physical condition, would have blacked out from an instantaneous +11 G pullup. 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »

YOu cant argue general without including everyone in your group or you just defeat your own argument.  Age is not the criteria I hate to be the one to tell you.   Its amount of reflexes or x,y,z. A 25 year old would get rejected the same as a 26 year old or a 70 year old if they did have x qualification.

There are plenty of teenagers that passed the driving test that drive dads car thru the garage ..... :bhead

I dont care what the content is the context is in error.   Its obvious that age does not properly address the issue.

Age = x is not known to be true.   x=x is known to be true.

x is 70 and has slower reflexis than y that is 25.        x is 70 therefore has slower reflexes than y that is 25

One is a logical error when used in a argument.

One the quantity is not known  :headscratch: and thats the very question that needs answered. :bhead  Its called begging the question. :bhead :bhead
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »

More young folks crash.... ask the insurance companies :P
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2011, 09:53:03 PM »

I never said there was not a difference.  I said the testing you should be required to pass should be physically demanding enough to where only someone in very good shape as well as with good enough reflexes and all the other in tangibles can pass.  I don't think many people in their 70s should be able to pass it just based on normal aging reasons.  But that shouldn't disclude somebody simply because they are a certain age, just makes it harder.

And comparing what i said to the test to get your driver's license is a joke.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:15 AM »
More young folks crash.... ask the insurance companies :P

Yes they do, but they do not back out their driveways at 100mph only to do 25mph once they are out.  They do  not have their blinker on for the past 6 months, and they do not confuse the gas with the break (intentional spelling for CAP  :neener: ).  They do all kins of other stupid watermelon but that only shows that they are different and therefore 75 does not equal 25.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »
As its been said before in this thread, anyone, regardless of age or physical condition, would have blacked out from an instantaneous +11 G pullup. 

I agree on that.  Everyone would have also blacked out pulling 20Gs.  Those are kind of safe numbers but we don;t really know how many Gs he pulled, do we?  So, what if he only pulled 9?  9.5?  I hate to make this argument about that guy since it started by a mechanical malfunction so it probably would have caught everyone by surprise and have the same results anyway.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2011, 08:48:03 AM »
YOu cant argue general without including everyone in your group or you just defeat your own argument.  Age is not the criteria I hate to be the one to tell you.   Its amount of reflexes or x,y,z. A 25 year old would get rejected the same as a 26 year old or a 70 year old if they did have x qualification.

There are plenty of teenagers that passed the driving test that drive dads car thru the garage ..... :bhead

I dont care what the content is the context is in error.   Its obvious that age does not properly address the issue.

Age = x is not known to be true.   x=x is known to be true.

x is 70 and has slower reflexis than y that is 25.        x is 70 therefore has slower reflexes than y that is 25

One is a logical error when used in a argument.

One the quantity is not known  :headscratch: and thats the very question that needs answered. :bhead  Its called begging the question. :bhead :bhead

:headscratch:  :confused:

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »
but we don;t really know how many Gs he pulled, do we?

A person was posting here that on-board monitors showed 11+ g's.

However, I think having the g's hit you by surprise is a big factor, as talked about here:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,320402.msg4179123.html#msg4179123

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »
Hi

One thing is surely odd to me in this topic in general.

According to some folks (in general), the experienced 75y old pilot is more capable to fly 400+mph highly modified air-race plane at near a ground level with younger racers very near by...

Sounds like there's good business opportunity for the good old Common Sense.

Once more  :pray

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2011, 04:58:47 PM »
Hi

One thing is surely odd to me in this topic in general.

I think that the gist of it was folks saying that, in this case, the pilot's age likely had nothing to do with the accident and that whether or not a 75-year-old is qualified to be the race depends on the particular 75-year-old.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »
:headscratch:  :confused:

" A horses laugh is worth a 1000 syllogisms"
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.