Author Topic: Does HiTech really want more user accounts?  (Read 3871 times)

Offline AKLdButt

• Zinc Member
Does HiTech really want more user accounts?
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
Not a flame question but a lot has change since the old Alpha Cd's when this game started and On-line game models have started to change some.
I don't mind the monthly fee for game play, I'm happy paying the amount but I play a few other games and I'm a big fan of Gamebreaker TV.

One of the items that came up on one of the TWIMMO shows on Gamebreaker was fee modeling.

One of the interesting things they talked about was how limiting game option on some on-line games are being setup as free-to play services with options for game play upgrades. They noted that this type of modeling was very big with the new age gamers while the old school gamers generally really like the fix fee modeling.

When I thought about it I wonder if a mix of both free to play and fix pricing wouldn't be good for HiTech?

F2P would be for say 1 or 2 fighters, 1 bomber and a tank. F2P accounts would gain perks points as part of the F2P model but couldn't use them on planes as the account would be limited on planes models.
F2P model would then have the options like say"

1) small one time (that month) upgrade to upgrade the account for full scope of the game. Would allow an ave. to burn those perks. Would also reset at the end of the month BACK to a F2P account locking all perks again and back to the limited planes allowed.
2) Allow a one time discount rate on the standard month to month fee.

Then I started thinking about it more and is HiTech happy with the modeling size of the AH community? Do they have the size they can manage and are just happy with the footprint they have in the market?

Thoughts?

Just thinking out loud....

L8er

LeadButt

Offline MrMeanie

• Nickel Member
Re: Does HiTech really want more user accounts?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
No, Never ever, There are enough free to play game's out there, AH can stay the way it is, I don't mind paying my $15buck's, If i wanted to pay to win i would go to WoT or other free mmo that allows this.
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:55:01 PM »
IMO, thats a somewhat good idea, but i think the 14.95 a month is a bit much. i'd say 10.50 a month is better, but thats not up to me on how much they charge. i'd much rather take the WW-1 arena F2P and make the TA F2P aswell, but the discount thing, its gotta go. maybe if you accumulate enough time while subscribed (lets say a total of 1 year playing time) you get a month free as a rewards program? heck, who knows, maybe that will just get people to stick around longer.

:noid

but if they really want new/old guys to come back (like me) maybe they'll add the StuG III Ausf G. or the P47D22... :noid

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »
I'm curious what planes you would suggest be free?  I can see a Spitfire scourge...  Or more picking Ponies then ever... 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »
Best way to drive away customers.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:00:25 PM »

but if they really want new/old guys to come back (like me) maybe they'll add the StuG III Ausf G. or the P47D22... :noid

Have you ever had an active subscription?
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:30 PM »
I'm curious what planes you would suggest be free?  I can see a Spitfire scourge...  Or more picking Ponies then ever...  
P-39/P-40 series? maybe the Yaks, but thats kind of a stretch. as far as GV's go i'd say maybe the M3, M8 and the Jeep. just my thoughts.

Have you ever had an active subscription?
yes...for 8 months in a row...

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 09:04:35 PM »
IMO, thats a somewhat good idea, but i think the 14.95 a month is a bit much. i'd say 10.50 a month is better, but thats not up to me on how much they charge. i'd much rather take the WW-1 arena F2P and make the TA F2P aswell, but the discount thing, its gotta go. maybe if you accumulate enough time while subscribed (lets say a total of 1 year playing time) you get a month free as a rewards program? heck, who knows, maybe that will just get people to stick around longer.

:noid

Considering the monthly fee used to be $30, $15 is perfectly reasonable. However, I think if done properly they could do something like this. Free team switching is bad. The problem isn't the 12 hour timer or arena sizes or the number of arenas. It's the gameplay mechanics that create an arena without fights. Everything else is just a symptom of that. First and foremost the game needs to go free to play, You then need to totally revamp the account managment system(have to DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT TO CANCEL? Seriously?)   That's just an absolute requirement to get people into the game at this point

Then you need to totally revamp the perk system. Basically all of the MA kings need to be perked, then the new non-perked top class planes should generate next to no perks, and the bad ma planes should be the way to earn them. To make money HTC sells perks instead of subscriptions. That starts with dealing with the gamer crew, low player numbers, and they can start working on actual gameplay issues.

I've thought about 30k airstairs and rolling bomber waves
I think that would be a good way to boost fights, reduce lame moves like chasing someone 30miles back to base,    and create a fun and less retarded gameplay. But, even if they dont go with that idea there's a ton of ideas that can be used to mold gameplay away from its current staleness.

Offline AKLdButt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
I should have noted, I'm not a big fan of F2P games. I've always been a fee type guy. But I did find the talk on Gamebreaker was interesting as I'm a really big fan of more people in the arena's.

:)

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »
Considering the monthly fee used to be $30, $15 is perfectly reasonable. However, I think if done properly they could do something like this. Free team switching is bad. The problem isn't the 12 hour timer or arena sizes or the number of arenas. It's the gameplay mechanics that create an arena without fights. Everything else is just a symptom of that. First and foremost the game needs to go free to play, You then need to totally revamp the account managment system(have to DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT TO CANCEL? Seriously?)   That's just an absolute requirement to get people into the game at this point

Then you need to totally revamp the perk system. Basically all of the MA kings need to be perked, then the new non-perked top class planes should generate next to no perks, and the bad ma planes should be the way to earn them. To make money HTC sells perks instead of subscriptions. That starts with dealing with the gamer crew, low player numbers, and they can start working on actual gameplay issues.

I've thought about 30k airstairs and rolling bomber waves
I think that would be a good way to boost fights, reduce lame moves like chasing someone 30miles back to base,    and create a fun and less retarded gameplay. But, even if they dont go with that idea there's a ton of ideas that can be used to mold gameplay away from its current staleness.
i agree with all of that except the fact that you want them to sell perks, its just like WoT, your going to have wallet warriors and the guys who actually WORKED for the perks. next thing you know there selling planes instead of perks and all the wallet warriors take over.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
I am all in favor for it to go back to $30 a month myself

but at least keep it where it's at and forget about that F2P / pay money for upgrade BS........

if you don't like how HTC works their subscription for Aces High then seek elsewhere

just a personal opinion

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »
Personally I think its fine the way it is.
But if they were to go to some sort of combo deal. The only items that should be free are the lowliest of the low and the weakest of the weak,Early P40's. Jeeps, etc.

That would be just to get you into the game beyond your 2 weeks.
Then if you want anything better you gotta full subscrip up.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 09:20:35 PM »
Somewhere it is on official record saying that Hitech/HTC intends to keep itself a smaller company.  Perhaps on the home page somewhere???  *off to go look*

-found it-  in the "About Us" section on the front page:

"HiTech Creations was founded with a simple philosophy by Dale "HiTech" Addink in 1999.  It's not to create a large corporation, a vast gaming network, or a line of online games.  It's just to create one game, but one that is better than any other like it.  Contrary to most companies, our goal is to keep the company small.  We know that with a singular focus and an experienced cohesive team that enjoys its work, the production, service, support, and overall level of satisfaction will be unmatched."

So... as long as HTC can keep enough accounts to pay all their bills, keep HTC healthy, and keep on enjoying what they do then the number of accounts is only relative to that monetary figure.  Lets hope that HTC does not sell out any time soon, and lets hope if they do sell out it isnt to a "flash-bang" company.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:24:57 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline AKLdButt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
TC, It's not really a question of fee cost.

As i noted I don't mind the fee. It's more a question of modeling vs. the new age consumers.
F2P is a newer style modeling that a number of games have tweaked to a new level.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 09:22:32 PM »
I'd rather it stick to paying customers only, unless a lot more moderators were brought on board. Even with our current customer base swearing, claims of cheating and political chatter run rampant on channel 2 and 200.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!