Author Topic: Components of fighter score...  (Read 6094 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Components of fighter score...
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »
What distance do you normally cross/break off at?  I am usually around 100-150yds. If the gunner can get himself in the correct gun slot before my slash my plane is pretty large regardless of my angle.  Lots of oil and radiator leaks.

I don't normally break off?  I slash right through the formation, and I'm often extremely close to colliding (although I cannot recall ever actually hitting?).  

I fire as I hit 400 yards or so, and continue until I'd start missing if I continued to hold the trigger, aiming for the rear of the cockpit.  Once I see hits there I generally switch to the right wing root to set it afire.  If my hands and feet are discombobulated I might shoot for the left wing root instead though.  I'd bet 70% or better of the bombers I hit start burning on the right wing root though.

In my mind, my perfect attack starts above and slightly in front.  I dive at a point slightly in the lead of the right drone, and begin leveling my dive at about 600yds out.  I fire as I pass through or very slightly behind the formation, and generally will be level at a point about 600 in front of the lead bomber, and around 1000ft (but not more) underneath him, flying to the same rough heading he is.  I'll maintain that level attitude until I'm 600-800yds from him (slightly out of guns range, for the most part), at which time I'll begin my zoom, gaining alt and getting out in front again.  At the top of my zoom, I will either roll or loop back down on him, whichever method sets me up for a near-vertical dive at his cockpit again.

I never settle for a six attack, but will stay level at the top if I need to to get back out in front again.

What I'm hoping for is to only really offer my target a shot as I approach with his top turret (I'm too far forward for his tail gun, and too centered to present much of a shot from the waist guns).  I'm only going to be within firing range of that turret for a second or so, before I pass beneath him.  Beneath him, I'm only in view of his bottom turret, but by the time he gets to it I'm too far forward and/or beginning to go up.  He'll have to switch to his nose turret for that, but I'm out of range now...

In my mind, I'm making him switch between guns to track me, but giving him little time to acquire me in those positions before I move out of range.  I don't know if they really do that though  :D  I do know they fire at me as I dive, and spray at me as I zoom back up in front, but that they seldom hit me  :D

This is another film that shows basically the same thing.  Two groups of buffs, Saber takes the easy ones I take the hard ones  :D  I edited the voice out, but the jist of it was "you take those ones, and leave mine alone!".

6 buffs with Saber!.ahf

It really is a "cookie-cutter" technique, with some slight alterations depending upon how much height and speed I have, etc.  I have the patience of a rock though, so I don't mind climbing into position if I need to.  After all, I'd like them to get the idea that going high won't keep them safe  :D  Once you have this down bombers are just bonus kills for the most part. 

I'm sure you don't really need any guidance though Grizz!  You do just fine already!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:23:45 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2011, 11:52:49 PM »
he may not but I found that informative thanx :salute

been doing it a bit different then that, more trying for a face shot downward angle.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2011, 02:44:54 AM »
So 400yds ish?  That sounds reasonable for 50 cals.  A good angle and 400 yds will keep you out of good gun solutions.  Good angle and 150 yds will keep you out of most gun solutions, not all though.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2011, 03:26:30 AM »
This is the first I've looked at this thread. I now have proof that there's 13 pages of guys more concerned about teh score than I.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:28:17 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »
This is the first I've looked at this thread. I now have proof that there's 13 pages of guys more concerned about teh score than I.

(Image removed from quote.)

I think you should reread it  :D  I haven't given a hoot for any of my scores for almost a decade... 

That doesn't mean we can't have a discussion on what components make it up.

How many pages???  This thread is only on page four for me!
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2011, 09:46:38 AM »
So 400yds ish?  That sounds reasonable for 50 cals.  A good angle and 400 yds will keep you out of good gun solutions.  Good angle and 150 yds will keep you out of most gun solutions, not all though.

I start firing at 400, but continue to get closer until I go through or right behind the formation.  I actually want the majority of my hits to occur at a closer distance due to my convergence settings.
MtnMan

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2011, 09:48:51 AM »
he may not but I found that informative thanx :salute

been doing it a bit different then that, more trying for a face shot downward angle.

The thing I don't like about that angle is that it puts me too far behind the formation for my second pass (if I'm visualizing your attack right?).

The way I set it up my first pass sets me up in position for my second, etc...

Still on page four, btw :noid
MtnMan

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »
I do dead six attacks if I have a big rate of closure.

In a 110G, you can rake across all three in one pass and take them all out.

If you're chasing B17s that fly at 316mph at 34,800 feet in your 110g, you don't really have a choice on attack angle.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2011, 12:29:29 PM »
I do dead six attacks if I have a big rate of closure.

In a 110G, you can rake across all three in one pass and take them all out.

If you're chasing B17s that fly at 316mph at 34,800 feet in your 110g, you don't really have a choice on attack angle.

If you have so much more E why not just fly by them in front get above and come straight down?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »
Because a b17 doing 316mph at 32,800 feet will only get you one pass since turning the 110g causes it to slow greatly.

If I'm getting only one pass, I prefer to hit all 3 planes.

Since 1994, I've done all the different types of bomber attack scenarios but only do slashing attacks when the altitude and speed allow it.

If done right, you can catch most any plane with a high 110g.........as long as you have enough fuel.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
Because a b17 doing 316mph at 32,800 feet will only get you one pass since turning the 110g causes it to slow greatly.

Not that I don't hang on every word you have ever typed out. But I thought I'd highlight an anomaly
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »
2,000 feet changes nothing.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:17:49 PM by icepac »