Author Topic: Piper J-4 Cub  (Read 1830 times)

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
Piper J-4 Cub
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
Since the Fi-156 Storch Is adding the Observation aircraft type to the game,Why not the J-4 Cub? It is very well known and Is commonly used nowaday's for General Aviation piloting. Anyways, Both WILL NOT BE PERKED PLZ!
Specs:

General characteristics

Crew: one pilot
Capacity: one passenger
Length: 22 ft 5 in (6.83 m)
Wingspan: 35 ft 3 in (10.74 m)
Height: 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)
Wing area: 178.5 ft² (16.58 m²)
Empty weight: 765 lb (345 kg)
Useful load: 455 lb (205 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 1,220 lb (550 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Continental A-65-8 air-cooled flat four, 65 hp (48 kW) at 2,350 rpm
Performance

Maximum speed: 76 kn (87 mph, 140 km/h)
Cruise speed: 65 kn (75 mph, 121 km/h)
Range: 191 NM (220 mi, 354 km)
Service ceiling: 11,500 ft (3,500 m)
Rate of climb: 450 ft/min (2.3 m/s)
Wing loading: 6.84 lb/ft² (33.4 kg/m²)
Power/mass: 18.75 lb/hp (11.35 kg/kW)
Pic of Plane during WWII 1942 North Africa:
Cockpit:

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Piper J-4 Cub
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
I vote no.  It doesn't have a rear/dorsal MG for defense.   ;)  AND...  at 85mph it is slower than a 7 years itch, it makes the Stork look like a speed demon.

Let the Storch have a chance to prove that the concept will/will not work.  Then, if there is another FO aircraft that can be added that would add something new to AH then perhaps.  But until then... NO.   :aok 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
I vote no.  It doesn't have a rear/dorsal MG for defense.   ;)  AND...  at 85mph it is slower than a 7 years itch, it makes the Stork look like a speed demon.

Let the Storch have a chance to prove that the concept will/will not work.  Then, if there is another FO aircraft that can be added that would add something new to AH then perhaps.  But until then... NO.   :aok 
Okay then but some people complain that the plane is better than Storch. I DONT know why

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
If the concept does work, you've got a couple naval birds that you can add:

Vought OS2U Kingfisher

Armament: 2 Browning .30cal machine guns and up to 750lbs of bombs

Mitsubishi F1M

Armament: 2 7.7mm forward-firing machine guns and one aft 7.7mm machine gun, 2x 60kg bombs

The Kingfisher and Pete were the primary light observation planes utilized by the USN and IJN, respectively. These could be made available at ports and carrier groups (or battleships, if HTC would ever add them. *nudge nudge*) These aircraft could be launched by Task Groups even if the carrier is sunk. However this WOULD require modeling for float planes (possibly some modification of the PT boat and LVT coding).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
450 ft/min climbrate is generous at best. Try 200 ft/min
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

I guess the one you flew didn't have the added manual pedals. :airplane:
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
Okay then but some people complain that the plane is better than Storch. I DONT know why

Better how? :headscratch:

The Piper is slower and has zero armament and while yes the little rear gun on the Storch isnt much it is something. The Piper while having a short takeoff and landing roll I believe the Storch's is better.

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 05:33:59 PM »
I fly a J-3 cub in real life and it tops out a 120 not 85... very nice plane i love to prop start it
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
Nicolas,

You are requesting two different planes. You asked for the J-4 and posted a picture of an L-4 (military version of an J-3). I don't believe J-4 was ever used by the military.

This is what a J-4 looks like:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:49:56 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
I fly a J-3 cub in real life and it tops out a 120 not 85... very nice plane i love to prop start it

It is possible that those numbers are correct. Remember it was build in the 30s, there are a lot of different models out there. Also looking at my previous post we don't even know what plane he's talking about.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »

Theres a picture of the panel in the cub I fly. redline is 120mph.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 07:49:59 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Theres a picture of the panel in the cub I fly. redline is 120mph.

Didn't know you flew cubs.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
It is possible that those numbers are correct. Remember it was build in the 30s, there are a lot of different models out there. Also looking at my previous post we don't even know what plane he's talking about.

He's a young kid whose working on his post count, every few days expect a new post about something we don't need or won't be added any time soon.
JG 52

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
Didn't know you flew cubs.

flying it on Monday if the weather is decent.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »
probly not with the door open though. Burrrrrrrr.

It's almost kind of silly to fly, except when I have a few extra dollars. I can fly my plane for almost the same price as the cub rents for and I go twice as fast.