Author Topic: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN  (Read 15917 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2012, 12:30:21 AM »
Yep, I have to agree that Cliffs of Dover graphics looked movie quality.  But YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS VIDEO, it is hillarious  :rofl :rofl  http://youtu.be/Zs56Mr9iFqQ  "....there is a problem with the anti epilepsy filter....."   :ahand

Oh, and would someone fill me in on what steam and cloud servers are and their function?

Cliffs of Dover thus creates an atmosphere of wartime dread, though the sound design has a tendency to undermine the authenticity. The smooth growl of the Messerchmitt sounds fine, but other aspects of the audio sound clearly synthesized, and some noises sound as if they were sampled from lawnmowers rather than enormous airplane engines. Cannons sound more like bongo drums than they do actual cannons, and some glitches are overly obvious (the scraping noise that continues to play after a crash landing, for example). In any case, the disappointing sound doesn't fully break your immersion, and Cliffs of Dover, when it's running properly, gives you a great sense of being in an actual cockpit. The tension levels increase further when you take the game online, though this is an arena best left to experienced pilots--and those who can get past the frame rate problems and other issues that interfere with multiplayer competition. The game reportedly supports dozens upon dozens of players participating in persistent battles that could rage for hours, days, and even weeks, though you won't find such an experience in its current state. Should you find a multiplayer server, it's intimidating and rewarding to fight online, provided the visual stutters don't greatly hamper the experience. But that requires getting past the unintuitive interface, the slow server browser, the lack of dedicated server documentation, and plenty more.
  >> Full review here: http://www.gamespot.com/il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover/reviews/il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover-review-6308918?page=2
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:49:37 AM by Chilli »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2012, 12:59:52 AM »
Yep, I have to agree that Cliffs of Dover graphics looked movie quality.  But YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS VIDEO, it is hillarious  :rofl :rofl  http://youtu.be/Zs56Mr9iFqQ  "....there is a problem with the anti epilepsy filter....."   :ahand

Oh, and would someone fill me in on what steam and cloud servers are and their function?
  >> Full review here: http://www.gamespot.com/il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover/reviews/il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover-review-6308918?page=2

:rofl :rofl :rofl
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline VIPER

• Zinc Member
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2012, 01:08:47 AM »
well if you want to wait for a session to start - sit there for 3 mins - 8 mins - 10 mins -  or you could just be an observer - then until the next session comes available to go play for a short set time
or you can have a instant action - but have to let it decide which side you are put on whether it is allied or axis
or you can have a skirmish - short little fights

you will not have no malee arena  or no axis vs allied arena   or no mid war arena  or no dueling arena  or no special events arena
think of world of planes  being like the new hosted custom arenas   or like the old h2h  arenas. to where only a limited amount of people can be in each session / server
you can have a career mode,  kind of like rpg. but you still are going to be flying in what i call a limited capacity verses what you have experienced in Aces High or Warbirds  or AirWarrior

to each their own, but i do not think most at Aces high will be fancying much of world of planes

Viper
in game gameid:Viper

~~Avid KOTH Participant~~
also known as TC of the Damned

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2012, 05:33:41 AM »
Who is the dude spamming the AH facebook group with world of planes adverts?? 

I mean I hardly ever go on there and see Vanscrew has had a little kid   :O shock horror  ;)    but the rest of the group is spammed by this dude!   I mean if we want to try that game we would but it is a bit of cheek don't you think? hopefully someone can get onto removing the spam.

and just for the record we play for the MMO experience and accurate flight model, I couldn't care less for a little extra eye candy when my spitfire is flying circles around you.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2012, 06:08:44 AM »
and just for the record we play for the MMO experience and accurate flight model

:aok that's it, couldn't agree more, as for the spitfire comment... I don't mind you flying circles around me as long as you can't get a guns solution  ;)

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2012, 07:06:56 AM »
This thread was tl;dr, I just breezed through.

1. World of Warplane's graphics are so underwhelming for a title being released in 2012. It looks worse than AH in some areas, but better in others. As Ack-Ack pointed out, it's going to be pure arcade which will drive away us sim enthusiasts.

2.  Someone stated that Aces High's graphics are state of the art... Let me introduce everyone to Assetto Corsa, a simulation title which is scheduled for release this year. From the developers who created nKP and FVA, both titles are regarded to have the best feeling physics in the business.

Hopefully Assetto Corsa can put to bed the notion that a simulation title can't have both bleeding edge eye candy (differed rendering, HDR, bloom, dynamic exposure, ultra high resolution textures - 4K/2K, ambient occlusion, tessellation, ultra poly models) and state of the art physics.

3. Gajin Entertainment's World of Planes looks and runs fantastic (going by the benchmark). I really hope the planes feel more reactive then they did in Wings of Prey, it honestly felt like the control surfaces were connected by rubber bands; It was impossible to shoot with any accuracy. I'm betting that they'll still be using IL-2's flight model and we all know it falls short to Aces High's.

4. The fight sim genre is so depressing. However, on the racing side, four major sim racing titles are being released in 2012.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:59:59 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
Aces High may never appeal to some of the console gamers, as they want instant gratification from the games they play. Need proof? Imagine for a moment if Call of Duty, or Modern Warfare, or even World of Warcraft took the effort and time to learn comparable to Aces High; I guarantee CoD, MW, WoW would be a lot less popular.

How do we over come this? By treating our new players with respect instead of 'RTFM!' or 'ALT-F4' or 'GO TO THE TA'. Helping out the Trainers in the TA would also help immensely.

In addition (as I said before), word of mouth advertising from within this games will attract a large number of players and likely much more than commericals ever could. Perhaps HTC would consider some incentive for individuals doing so in the form of perks or a reduced subscription price. I still say do it respectively, instead of spamming forums or their global text channels.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2012, 09:06:29 AM »
as I've said before....... I don't consider myself a "gamer".  aces high has always been the only game I play...

nothing I have ever seen.....or will ever see......will look "real" to me.

most of the modern games I see..i...look like sensory disturbing...epileptic fit inducing...crap..with far too many bells and whistles for my liking.  that stuff does not make it look or feel any more real to me.....to the contrary: I think it simply placates the desire to hear achieve sensory overload.

in some odd say....it reminds me of what many bands used to say about KISS in the 70's.  "their music and musicianship sucks......so they have tons of lights, smoke, blood, and explosions to keep the kids entertained"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VTazV7Mizg&feature=related

Video trailer from world of warplanes.  Graphics look 10x better to me and that's what draws in more people than good realism.

Theres probably over 200 people on World of tanks now from AH just because theres more fun to be had there.  There are no 15 minute climbouts...discos after 20 minutes climbing in a lanc, bushes that flip tanks...indestructable leaves...

Granted AH has 500 miles of terrain to be loading while WOT has 1 mile...but as you can see WOT has a huge player base for a reason...it's instant action.

I don't think AH is on it's last leg's but...I think every map need thrown out or brought up to speed if they are salvageable.

I know nobody wants to ruin AH's integrity as it is the best flight sim...but apparently arcade makes ALOT more money.

200??  lol I tried WOT and it sucks bad.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2012, 09:15:44 AM »
This thread was tl;dr, I just breezed through.

1. World of Warplane's graphics are so underwhelming for a title being released in 2012. It looks worse than AH in some areas, but better in others. As Ack-Ack pointed out, it's going to be pure arcade which will drive away us sim enthusiasts.

2.  Someone stated that Aces High's graphics are state of the art... Let me introduce everyone to Assetto Corsa, a simulation title which is scheduled for release this year. From the developers who created nKP and FVA, both titles are regarded to have the best feeling physics in the business.

Hopefully Assetto Corsa can put to bed the notion that a simulation title can also have both bleeding edge eye candy (differed rendering, HDR, bloom, dynamic exposure, ultra high resolution textures - 4K/2K, ambient occlusion, tessellation, ultra poly models)  and state of the art physics.

(Image removed from quote.)

3. Gajin Entertainment's World of Planes looks and runs fantastic (going by the benchmark). I really hope the planes feel more reactive then they did in Wings of Prey, it honestly felt like the control surfaces were connected by rubber bands; It was impossible to shoot with any accuracy. I'm betting that they'll still be using IL-2's flight model and we all know it falls short to Aces High's.

4. The fight sim genre is so depressing. However, on the racing side, four major legacy sim racing titles are being released in 2012.

I don't play car games but these graphics are simply badass and blow AH graphics out of the water
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
Sure the racing graphics from screenies posted look  :aok great.  But how many other racers will you be encountering and how memory intensive are the driving  :joystick: physics compared to the flight  :airplane: physics in Aces High. 

Agreed and screaming from the hilltops  :rock the flight simulation of combat aircraft against other online players is what AH2 brings to the table at a level of no other period.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »
200??  lol I tried WOT and it sucks bad.

How would you know there aren't around 200 Ex-Ahers playing WoT?  I would put the number closer to 300 that have left AH.   It is funny watching folks bagging on WoT,  because they suck at it.

In regards to "WoT sucking bad":  It is the Indian, not the Arrow.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »
Sure the racing graphics from screenies posted look  :aok great.  But how many other racers will you be encountering and how memory intensive are the driving  :joystick: physics compared to the flight  :airplane: physics in Aces High.  

Agreed and screaming from the hilltops  :rock the flight simulation of combat aircraft against other online players is what AH2 brings to the table at a level of no other period.

IMHO
The quality & attitude of the online players is more important than quantity.

What make you think, the car driving physics is less CPU/memory(?) intensive?

In AH your flying in glass, so to speak. Yes, some wind layers, but no gusts, wakes or other related effects.
I understood so, the real life low level flights can be very  unpleasant due all that shake.

In several car sims the surface / tires / weather are modeled.  Even the track side paints.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:35:26 PM by Ex-jazz »

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »

Sure the racing graphics from screenies posted look  :aok great.  But how many other racers will you be encountering and how memory intensive are the driving  :joystick: physics compared to the flight  :airplane: physics in Aces High.[/quote]
Agreed and screaming from the hilltops  :rock the flight simulation of combat aircraft against other online players is what AH2 brings to the table at a level of no other period.
[/quote]

Doesn't matter how many racers i encounter those graphics kick AH in the head. We can have that kind of graphics as we already have a good community. The sky wouldn't fall because we got graphics like that. When we get bombers that don't fly like fighters i'll fully praise the flight model in the game. Yes this isn't a flight sim but wow what this game could be.

6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
Who is the dude spamming the AH facebook group with world of planes adverts?? 

I mean I hardly ever go on there and see Vanscrew has had a little kid   :O shock horror  ;)    but the rest of the group is spammed by this dude!   I mean if we want to try that game we would but it is a bit of cheek don't you think? hopefully someone can get onto removing the spam.

and just for the record we play for the MMO experience and accurate flight model, I couldn't care less for a little extra eye candy when my spitfire is flying circles around you.

:rofl

Notice I was the one that gave him a hard time for it :rock