Author Topic: P51D vs Yak9U  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Re: P51D vs Yak9U
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2012, 06:42:45 AM »
ahh trying to save face with humor and hyperbole ehh? You just capitulated...   :neener:

EDIT: postponed my BBS victory dance :)

Declaring victory on the Interwebs is the very definition of failure.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2012, 08:05:15 AM »
Declaring victory on the Interwebs is the very definition of failure.

ummmm bunny-boopsies...........i think on this point DMF just  :ahand

but dont frert, we Muppet's wont laugh at you........at least where you can see us doing it  :D
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
In my experience against the planes being discussed; I don't ever recall loosing a fight that started with co alt/e to a Yak in an LA. Loose an occasional  Fight to a K4.. but in those cases it's most always to one of the acknowledged sticks, and in most cases I had my chance.. just missed it (gunnery sucks). There are no doubt others, but BigR is one of the few in a stang that can triumph against an LA at low alt. If you want to test your Yak skill, seek him out.  As for the F4U's... I'd say given pilots of equal ability the LA beats the 1D.. is a toss up with the -1A, and is at a dissadvantage against the -4.  I guess I haddn't considered it before, but while the LA and Typhoon/Tempest MUST consider engine Torque effect in fighting (that is for those of you that will attempt a turn fight in one).. for some reason it dosen't seem to be much of a factor in the Corsair.. hmmmmmm.....

BTW if you use that little throttle thingy in an LA/Yak instead of running around WOT all the time, you'd be suprized how much more range you have.
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:21 PM »
They tend to be very aggressive, easy overshoots and burn E with unnecessary near blackout turns.

You could just as easily substitiute P-51D for Yak-9U in that description. Plenty of MA Stang drivers that suck and have very little skill with it other than BZ passes. Like the Yak-9U there are some very good sticks with it as well. It all depends who's driving.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
Yak strategy would be not to run out of gas/ammo chasing the Mustang after every "Hail Mary" pass.

P-51D strategy would be the same as any other time it encounters a single con by itself:  BnZ/extend until the Yak runs out of gas.

+1  :lol

Funny thing is the runStang can take the Yak no problem if the pilot commits to the fight.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline prono

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »
Funny thing is the runStang can take the Yak no problem if the pilot commits to the fight.

Yeah Right ! :lol

We had our cage match last night, although Relic had already been flying P-51D vs Yak earlier in the TA with a squadie. In each case the result was that the P-51D hasn't a chance, regardless of who flies it. ...

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
Yeah Right ! :lol

I am confused.  What makes him more right than me?  It is one mans opinion and he should not be saying "regardless who is flying the plane" since there are a lot of things to consider in a fight like that.  Even the personality of a person comes into play and I am pretty sure, he has not met everyone.

I'd say me in a 51 vs me in Yak, me in a 51 will win.  And I can back that statement since I do know "me".  The rest is speculation.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »
ded go duel yourself in the DA, Yak vs 51 and get back to us who won.  :devil

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »

You realize that either way he is ded.... right?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline angels10

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »
Sounds good to me... Meet me in the TA. Look for TredLite on the roster.

Here's a film of Gixer and me dueling in Yak-9Ts in a cage match. This was done before the latest map/graphic updates, so keep that in mind as the boundaries may have changed...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ltaxbkrai269bzk/GixerLast.ahf

That looks like alot of fun! Nice to watch on external view zoomed all the way out. <S>
 :angel: ANGELS10 :angel:

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »

I won, duh  :noid

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »

But if you won... why are you still umm Ded.....  :neener:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »

But you had to HO for the win.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »
I am confused.  What makes him more right than me?  It is one mans opinion and he should not be saying "regardless who is flying the plane" since there are a lot of things to consider in a fight like that.  Even the personality of a person comes into play and I am pretty sure, he has not met everyone.

I'd say me in a 51 vs me in Yak, me in a 51 will win.  And I can back that statement since I do know "me".  The rest is speculation.

I would guess that widewing and relic took turns in the Yak  and that statment is reflective of that.?
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »

Heya Ded!

The great thing about cage matches is that they are a great de-liar of stall fighting. I started doing this a few years ago after attempting to duel Gixer, who would extend half way to Australia rather than maneuver fight in close. The cage match doesn't allow you to get any further away than 800 to 1,000 yards. In short, you can't reset the fight without cooperation from the other guy. It forces one to extract all the plane has, flying very close to a stall all of the time. In this environment, the P-51 wallows badly. All the Yak driver need do it take the fight vertical. The Yak can take it vertical because it accelerates better, building speed quicker and converting that speed into altitude.

Let's assume that the pilots are reasonably equal.... Then it truly doesn't matter who is flying the P-51, the Mustang will lose in the above format.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.